Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2005 5:49am

Style: wu tang

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

nashville mma?

I just moved to a new town and I'm interested in learning bjj. I went to a free class where we did calisthenics for 15 min with the instructor barking orders and then drilled one move for 30 minutes. That was the class. I liked it ok, didn't really know what was going on. The instructor then tells us that we all have to buy a tshirt sold through the school to wear during classes. Then the instructor tells me after class that the only option is a 12 month contract at $130/month for unlimited bjj/muay thai/boxing classes.

I was pretty disapointed. I did wrestling in high school and the class seemed like a really easy/short wrestling practice with no real wrestling at full speed. And who is going to sign a year contract after one or two classes?

What do you guys think and can you recommend a good school near Nashville, TN. I am interested in trying bjj out for a while before I sign anything.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2005 7:28pm

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what school was it? do they have a web site?

since you weren't satisfied with that school there are more bjj schools listed here.

http://bjj.org/academies/#TN

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    7/10/2005 7:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ed Clay has a MMA gym in Nashville. He's a brown belt affliated with Lloyd Irvin. Great group of guys he has.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2005 10:50pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just drilled and rolled with Shawn Hammonds last Friday. He was in town to visit some relatives and my instructor. Really nice guy, knows his stuff. I would highly recommend training with him. I don't know if he instructed your trial class or not. In talking to him I learned that they seem pretty insane with drill repetitions and focusing on the basics. The "if you drill a technique a thousand times you own it" mindset. I don't know anything about their business but their jiu-jitsu is good.
    Last edited by relytjj; 7/10/2005 10:54pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2005 11:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, thanks for the advice.

I liked the class and the instructor, but I was kind of blown away that they wanted a year contract. I was pretty into it until then. Its all new to me, so maybe that is standard practice. Just thought I'd ask around a little since I don't know anything.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 12:08am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train there. I am a little annoyed by the new " must have this shirt" policy and what have you but all the same, in exchange we get a pretty damn good gym (Two boxing rings, a big rack of thai bags, tons of mat space, etc)

There are deffinitly some McDojo elements that annoy me, but Ed's gotta make money, no beef there.

Keep in mind that there are usually 2 BJJ classes a night along with muay thai and boxing aswell, plus the daytime BJJ classes, at first I was wary but when i did the math it seems like a pretty solid offer if you take full advantage.

Shawn was probably the one teaching the class as he teaches pretty much all the BJJ classes, it seems they recent decided to do some more work on the basics (in bjj) and cover all the good stuff in the "advanced" classes right after the first one.

We did have another bullshidoka training there for a while but he had to put it on hold for school.
    If you decide to come back, say hi, it's nice to meet other bullshido people. I'm easy to spot I'm the only girl that does BJJ consistently :P

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 12:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PS, the website is nashvillemma.com but the website sucks and makes us sound like "karate america" or some ****.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 3:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I think I remember you since you were the only woman in there. That is bad ass.

So you like training there?

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 4:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeh, I dig it. otherwise I wouldnt come every day they're open, haha.

In my experiance it's easy to get along with pretty much everyone. All the instructors are really cool (especially Josh, the really tall muay thai instructor, he's hilarious) and they all know their ****. We've got a solid fight team (which is a big big plus imo)

I feel that I've benefited from the training skill wise, and health wise, made a lot of freinds. it's been a good investment monetarily and time spent