Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 1:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know a goju karate guy that would probably give me a hard time in a kickboxing match (no knees, or I would own him...;) He did 8 years and was one belt before black.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 4:01am

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jungle-mania
    Looks like karate might have lost their deadliness. I wonder who will be the next Mas Oyama to kickstart the next revolution in karate.
    Dude, seriously...if you're saying Kyokushin Karate doesn't work, you're going to get a totally different reaction then when you're saying "Sport karate doesn't work." since the latter conjures up visions of Point-sparring and the like, whereas the former will have ppl imagining full-contact bareknuckle sparring sessions.

I have heard that there is alot of politics and breakoff in the barknuckle karate scene.
    OH NOES! BREAKOFFS IN MA! WHO'D EVER THUNK IT!

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 7:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Karate works just fine for me.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 7:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been sparring a number of sports karatekas from traditional japanese karate background during my 12 years in martial arts. Aside from KK and Okinawan Karate, the other bunch of karate fighters just don't meet the mark at all with the limitation of the semi contact.

I think the techniques they use are effective and the speed they develop is good, but both are rendered useless because of their light contact ruling. Has anyone here done or met anyone who has actually able to do Jap karate at full contact level? I like to know. Have a friend doing sports karate and I don't like the idea of him being creamed all the time by other martial artists.

There are MANY types of "sport karate" from the non-contact type, to the game of tag type, to the full contact bare knuckle of kyokushin and its off-shots to the "all around fighting" of the Budo-Kai.

So, "sport karate" may not be the best term for you to use.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 9:25am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like karate might have lost their deadliness.
    I never even bother to go to the ground with them, the fight always ends before that comes about.
    Lot of blanket statements here.

Ditto to Sir Ronin's comment.

What was that kumite vids that were here some time ago? Something Games? The action was controlled AND had plenty of fast takedowns and moderate contact. No one is saying that tag point produces great fighters. I don't count the skill level of students in a style until brown or black is gained. The bbs I usually spar are sport guys and most of them try to use control. There are too many injuries even with this level of fighting. This doesn't mean that they don't hit back if someone hits hard. Like when a Goju bb was helping test and the testee got him in a headlock and did a hook punch to his nose, pulling it 1/2 inch with a big kiai, the Goju guy said, "That's when control counts.'

It is more of a game than harder contact kumite but I think it has some value. Like when a green belt (soon to test for brown) snapped a roundhouse (pulled back) in the teacher's face, cutting the side of his nose with his big toe nail. The teacher stopped and wiped a drop of blood off his nose, shook his head and said, "One inch further..." I think he was a little pissed that he was cut, but he also was proud that his student had the skills and control to do that kind of move. His nose COULD have been wrapped into his ear, and he knew it. YES it's true, this kick probably wouldn't work against a good mma or MT fighter. But many schools combine sport sparring with pad and bag work and that combined with the precision gained from karate can certainly work on the lava fields where us men tear each other to shreds inbetween hours of chugging tequila and screwing virgins.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 9:52am

Style: TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now a real question to ask would be, who would win, WTF TKD or Point-fighting?

Because I honestly have no clue, having never seen "sport karate" and only ever having seen WTF TKD and kyokushin fights.
    Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all **** like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
    I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
    what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 10:04am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is hard to say, schools are so different.

here's some clips of KK from the What is thread..

http://www.shinkyokushinspain.com/07...o_europa04.mpg
    http://kyokushin.com.br/videos/ko03tatetsuki.mpg

Thanks to Ronin
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 9:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, let's get it straight. I have got nothing against kyukushin karate or their seperated branches, in fact I have got a couple of good friends in there who can hold their ground in a fight. I was refering more to Traditional Jap Karate that needs a shakeup.

I have fought with karatekas from both old school and new school. I can assure you that the old school is hardcore, not pretty, but good. many had the tendency of grabbing and pulling my wrist or sleeve and driving reverse punches into my face and body really hard. Very few kicks, mostly to the legs for checking. Did they have control? They sure did, one did a shoulder throw after throwing a couple of hard punches, slammed me into the ground, tap me on the head lightly with his fist to make his point. That's control.

Old school fighters may not be zippy fast like today's schools, but they sure could duke it out.

Posted On:
    7/12/2005 6:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, let's get it straight. I have got nothing against kyukushin karate or their seperated branches, in fact I have got a couple of good friends in there who can hold their ground in a fight. I was refering more to Traditional Jap Karate that needs a shakeup.

I have fought with karatekas from both old school and new school. I can assure you that the old school is hardcore, not pretty, but good. many had the tendency of grabbing and pulling my wrist or sleeve and driving reverse punches into my face and body really hard. Very few kicks, mostly to the legs for checking. Did they have control? They sure did, one did a shoulder throw after throwing a couple of hard punches, slammed me into the ground, tap me on the head lightly with his fist to make his point. That's control.

Old school fighters may not be zippy fast like today's schools, but they sure could duke it out.

Ok ... I am confused...
    Here you say:

" I was refering more to Traditional Jap Karate that needs a shakeup. "

Then you say:

"I have fought with karatekas from both old school and new school. I can assure you that the old school is hardcore, not pretty, but good"

So I ask you, what is more TMA than "old school" ??

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2005 7:55am

Style: none currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ranran konoyaro is hardcore oldschool
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast