Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2005 9:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Can sports karate fight at all?

I have been sparring a number of sports karatekas from traditional japanese karate background during my 12 years in martial arts. Aside from KK and Okinawan Karate, the other bunch of karate fighters just don't meet the mark at all with the limitation of the semi contact.

I think the techniques they use are effective and the speed they develop is good, but both are rendered useless because of their light contact ruling. Has anyone here done or met anyone who has actually able to do Jap karate at full contact level? I like to know. Have a friend doing sports karate and I don't like the idea of him being creamed all the time by other martial artists.

Posted On:
    7/09/2005 9:28pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My personal opinion is that Sports Karate will make one a better fighter than the Average Joe on the street and they'll be competitive against students of other schools that employ light/no contact rules. (which is actually quite a lot of students) However, if he/she come across anyone that's trained for realistic combat (hard sparring, weight lifting, cross training etc.) they'll be effectively doomed. That's just an opinion from personal experience.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    7/09/2005 9:37pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Generally speaking, krotty guys are destroyed by boxing or muay thai. This is because usually their sparring, if it even exists in the first place, is really borked.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/09/2005 9:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin
    Generally speaking, krotty guys are destroyed by boxing or muay thai. This is because usually their sparring, if it even exists in the first place, is really borked.

Ah, that really depends. I work out with a non Bullshido amerikan eclectic sport krotty school that spars lots, light to medium contact. Though true we do take it to the ground (and restrict it to wrestling then w/o strikes) and sometimes the contact gets pretty hard, specially if patfromlogan is pissed! But neverless the bbs spar fast and with competence and while they might suffer against good muai thai (**** I sure have! Let me tell you about my 10 second match against a 22 yr old mt Thai guy-the real thing, vet of the ring in Thailand-split me like a spear) they would kick the legs out from under the average moron on the streets, and toss 'em on their heads.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2005 6:31pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's been a while, but I used to spar with a lot of sport karate tap-sparring guys. I would say most of them would get beat down in a barfight. Why? because of the false sense of distance that type of sparring gives. you can just bowl over them with wild haymakers or bullrush them and they go down. Obviously, any live sparring will help, but if you NEVER get banged around, and more importantly, PUSHED around in class, you are at a disadvantage not only against a trained guy but anyone who fights at all.

WHO'S THE MASTER

Posted On:
    7/10/2005 10:29pm

supporting member
     Style: SHO'NUFF

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sport Karate is good for the speed and movement. You need to bang and grapple. At our school we start with sparring for a warm up then we put on the boxing gloves. Its kinda fun to watch a sport karate guy fight a kick boxer. Usually they extend out there hands when they take a shot or two. At that point you know they are done.
    JOHN DOE
    Hmmm. I'll kill him. I'll kill him dead. Like with, with a, rock or something. Like a, like a stone.
    evil master betty

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2005 11:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But if they went full contact with the techniques they are using right now? Can they still be effective? It was fun to bounce their head here and there last time and kicking them from the waist down, but it is get kinda sad to see them being crumpled up all the time. I never even bother to go to the ground with them, the fight always ends before that comes about.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    7/10/2005 11:07pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, if they went full contact they would be FORCED to use good techniques, whether they be what they are learning or something else.

I mean, a punch is a punch, right? It's just that Kickboxers and such actually punch and get punch, whereas most sport karateka just go through the movement.

PL

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    7/10/2005 11:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think PL is essentially correct. In my change from TMA to MMA, it was fairly obvious some techniques get thrown out, some get cleaned up, and some retained.

Examples:

- If I don't switch to kick with my lead leg I still use a snap kick that's fairly similar to my TMA days.

- Back leg kicks have changed to MT round kicks mainly.

- My standup guard has become a lot tighter and closer in. Since we tend more towards the slug than the dart in, touch and dart out, it needs to be.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 12:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like karate might have lost their deadliness. I wonder who will be the next Mas Oyama to kickstart the next revolution in karate. I have heard that there is alot of politics and breakoff in the barknuckle karate scene.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast