STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 3:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SYB

... and to discount forms would be to dismiss the masters of the arts. Do you really think they didn't know what they were doing when they included forms?
    they dropped forms in muay thai when they stopped being useful. and there are a shitload of martial arts that dont use forms.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 3:39pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SYB
    The basketball analogy was the best I could come up with on the top of my head...

... and to discount forms would be to dismiss the masters of the arts. Do you really think they didn't know what they were doing when they included forms?
    Honestly...I'm starting to wonder if they knew what they were doing when they codified the chambered punch.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 3:43pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Liffguard
    Forms can only be equated to dribbling or shooting drills if the people doing those drills have pre-set positions and movements. When was the last time you saw such a drill where the participants did exactly the same thing each time? Drills are not forms.

Practicing forms is like practicing dry fire. Doing a kata would be like walking through a hypothetical combat handgun scenario in a specific memorized way (shoot the guy on the left, then and only then the guy on the right) using all dry fire. Add the stylized, unrealistic way in which formal kata movements sometimes get performed, and you're down to doing it without a gun, but using your index finger and thumb pointed like a pistol instead.

So, basically, kata are flamingly useless, and have value only as cultural dance.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 4:02pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin
    Practicing forms is like practicing dry fire. Doing a kata would be like walking through a hypothetical combat handgun scenario in a specific memorized way (shoot the guy on the left, then and only then the guy on the right) using all dry fire. Add the stylized, unrealistic way in which formal kata movements sometimes get performed, and you're down to doing it without a gun, but using your index finger and thumb pointed like a pistol instead.

So, basically, kata are flamingly useless, and have value only as cultural dance.
    don't let the Tetragrammaton hear you say that though.

EDIT: we don't need another "forms are useless" arguement.
    Last edited by MaverickZ; 7/11/2005 4:16pm at .

I blew up a frackin' star!

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 5:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    indeed I didn't want to start a form flame fest again, so I will just end bye saying that I feel that the way forms are taught help me with my sparing. But whatever...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 10:51am

Style: Empty-Hand Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightstrike
    Shams...STFU NEWB.
    Seriously, shut up.
    I would kick a submission grappler in the head if I found the opening.
    Cro Cop does all the time.
    Hell, even if I was knocked on my ass, I wouldn't care, I'm growing more and more fond of the gaurd every practise.
    Holy **** !!! Night strike is angry with me....... WHAT DO I DO WHAT DO I DO!!!!!!
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678