I blew up a frackin' star!

Posted On:
    7/08/2005 9:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin
    Based on my experience, I consider chambering to be a teaching device. It helps the student learn how to generate power with his or her kicks. However, in practice you can chamber or not when you kick depending on the circumstance, once you know what you're doing.

Well... kicks are one smooth movement, but involve bringing the knee up to keep it a tight quick movement, big wide kicks are very not supposed to happen.

Anyway, we're probably both talking about the same thing, but it's pretty hard to describe a kick in detail over a message board.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    7/08/2005 9:56pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my TKD school we were taught the 4 step or whatever method of kicking with chambering and such, but told when we actually execute it, it is a fluid motion where the chambering is just part of the kick, but not really a step on it's own anymore.

PL

Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    7/08/2005 10:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For what it's worth Bill Wallace says that he chambers his kicks because then his opponent can't tell whether a round, side, or hook kick is coming. I was always taught that it was to generate snap.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    7/08/2005 10:00pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sometimes, you need to chamber at least a little bit so that you can kick effectively, like for a front kick to the body or something, even if you abbreviate it.

But, sometimes, if you really want speed over power, some kicks work bringing the foot directly to the point of impact, like when you reach for a refrigerator magnet with your hand. An example would be a pendulum kick from JKD/Jun Fan.

Personally, I probably do chamber style kicks most frequently when I'm kicking to the body in the context of my international rules kickboxing practice, but from time to time I've done pendulum kick style movements when I wanted to be a bit faster.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    7/08/2005 10:21pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ugh. . . i have a point of view about chambering, but I would almost need to sit down and make a series of poser animations to demontrate it...
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

I blew up a frackin' star!

Posted On:
    7/08/2005 10:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    ugh. . . i have a point of view about chambering, but I would almost need to sit down and make a series of poser animations to demontrate it...
    Please do...

Edit: I'd also like to say that 90% of the kicks that I do while sparing or whenever (hasn't been much and hopefully won't be anymore) I'm in a real fight are either low front kicks or sweep kicks. Anything else really is too slow and puts me temporarily in a position I really don't want to be against somebody who is seriously trying to hurt me.
    Last edited by SYB; 7/08/2005 10:29pm at .

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    7/08/2005 10:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't do poser at work, I don't have it here.

essentially, proper chambering invovles using the hinge that is the knee to compromise the geometry of the knee in favor of the geometry of the kick as the foot travels. Improper chambering is lifting your foot in the air and then flicking out the lower leg.
    Last edited by JohnnyCache; 7/08/2005 11:23pm at . Reason: changed last "knee" to kick
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    7/08/2005 11:12pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's trying to say that kicking using only the foreleg sucks, which is usually true.

EDIT: Lefty gave me this comment with a neutral rep:

You represent the standard, average TKD, karate bullshido student on here with a big ego and no skills, workable tactics or ability who just likes to bag people coz u r so pathetic! **** you hopeless, faggoty, scrawny kid!
    :qmickey:
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    7/08/2005 11:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    WHAT?

Hence the need for illustration :icon_lol:

And WR, I mean a little more then that. I'll put together something to show you what I mean when I get some time...

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    7/08/2005 11:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there was also a typo in my post that made it confusing. I fixed it.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast