Sponsored Links Spacer Image

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    7/08/2005 11:28am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My Last Tournament

Last tournament I competed in was the Diamond State Games No Gi Tournament run in Wilmington Deleware. I fought in the Absolute division for the $1000 winner take all.

The guy I fought in this clip is Tim Carpenter- hes a black belt in Judo, and Brown Belt Pan Ams Champion in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (not to mention one hell of a nice guy too). He held a 100lb weight advantage over me during this match. He trains with the Migliarese Brothers in Center City Philadelphia, so I've known him, his isntructors, and the others from his gym for quite some time now.

He ended up taking second place in the absolute, losing to fellow Teammate and Abu Dhabi competitor Rick McCauley by two sweeps. While it sucked for me to make a first round exit, I would have rather fought a top notch competitor in Tim and lost than have had a handfull of fights against average competition.

Enjoy- feel free to critique, comment, compliment, and otherwise make jokes at my expense

http://www.tristategrappling.com/vid...TimCvsTims.wmv

Oh yeah, Im natrually the smaller guy in all black.

Posted On:
    7/08/2005 12:07pm

Style: Karate, Sadism, Violence.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Props for posting a clip. Lots of people would be terridied to do that. I'm not a grappler, so I cant judge your performance. But it seems you handled well against a much larger oppenent.

Cheers.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    7/08/2005 1:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should work in offensive takedowns. You might be thinking it's going to be hard to take down a larger guy like that on the offense, so you're going to pull guard instead, but I imagine you figured out that pulling guard as a defensive takedown works even less on somebody like that. Your guardwork with your feet is good, and in the beginning that helped you stall against his passes; but you need to be on the offense as well. Don't sit back or take the pressure off just because you've stopped them temporarily.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Posted On:
    7/08/2005 2:51pm

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you got the short end of the dfraw but good job
    "Its not important to be strong, its just important not to be weak."

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    7/08/2005 3:08pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't work it. I'm broken! Some kind of proxy log in thingy.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/08/2005 3:21pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm far too much of a grappling noob to give any substinative technical commentary. But I figure it is worth noting that I was impressed by the match. Not only was it a good match, but it was more fast-paced and entertaining than I would have expected out of pure grappling.

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    7/08/2005 3:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feedback
    You should work in offensive takedowns. You might be thinking it's going to be hard to take down a larger guy like that on the offense, so you're going to pull guard instead, but I imagine you figured out that pulling guard as a defensive takedown works even less on somebody like that. Your guardwork with your feet is good, and in the beginning that helped you stall against his passes; but you need to be on the offense as well. Don't sit back or take the pressure off just because you've stopped them temporarily.
    Im always working on my wrestling, but I wasnt going to play takedowns with a guy that size. As far as my offense, the ref gets in the way and misses a triangle that I almost slipped in. It ended up going to omoplata, after which he escaped.

So during the match there was 2 good sub attempts, about 3 good sweep attempts, and I almost finished the single at the end. The camera view only shows one side of the fight- any time you see me applying the wizzer, Im working something with the other hand. He eventually started pulling his arm out of the whizzer.

As far as the match being fast paced as opposed to slow and boring, I like to attack and open the game up as much as possible.
    Last edited by Gumby; 7/08/2005 3:30pm at .

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    7/08/2005 3:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yrkoon- try this link

http://www.tristategrappling.com/Default.aspx?tabid=65

TimC vs TimS

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2005 3:42pm

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good job. you had a strong defense, and kept active from the bottom.

i think you were too defensive though. you tried to sit in guard, hoping for him to make a mistake. that was probably just because you were at a big weight disadvantage, and you didn't want him on top of you.

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    7/08/2005 3:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was actually trying to pull him on top of me for most of the match-he kept sitting up with good posture and avoided my game.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast