224772 Bullies, 3643 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 35
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. twilight_ronin is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    9

    Posted On:
    7/07/2005 11:42pm


     Style: Karate

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotchTape
    Everytime we refer to any sort of fighting/drilling with our eyes closed and "feeling" our surroundings, we shall call it a "Dux".


    I.e.,

    "Holy cow Bob, I was sparring today and I flinched, but I blocked a right straight. I sure pulled off a Dux."
    yup, i got Dux-ified today.
  2. Seraphim is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NE Alabama
    Posts
    654

    Posted On:
    7/07/2005 11:48pm


     Style: Karate, Sadism, Violence.

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've blocked things I didnt see coming before. No ki involved.
    Once you spar enough, your mind starts to tune into little body
    clues. A shift of a hand, hip, or a foot can tell you what they
    are going to do. That and sparing the same person repeatedly
    for atleast 4 years..

    Plenty of times, I've just sat back and watch a punch get bigger
    til it explodes across my nose. Thats real chi right there.

    To Twilight_Ronin:

    Thats screwed up. Perhaps the teacher equates
    'sensing chi' with just being observant. You heard
    his gi move. It could only be moving if he was moving..
    hence he is striking.

    Best of luck with that.
  3. twilight_ronin is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    9

    Posted On:
    7/08/2005 12:01am


     Style: Karate

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim
    I've blocked things I didnt see coming before. No ki involved.
    Once you spar enough, your mind starts to tune into little body
    clues. A shift of a hand, hip, or a foot can tell you what they
    are going to do. That and sparing the same person repeatedly
    for atleast 4 years..

    Plenty of times, I've just sat back and watch a punch get bigger
    til it explodes across my nose. Thats real chi right there.

    To Twilight_Ronin:

    Thats screwed up. Perhaps the teacher equates
    'sensing chi' with just being observant. You heard
    his gi move. It could only be moving if he was moving..
    hence he is striking.

    Best of luck with that.
    thanks seraphim. but nah, i'm dead certain that this teacher was not using 'ki' (or 'chi') in the metaphorical sense. he really means it literally (OMFG...lol), because i've been taking a number of classes at this dojo and he's talked about 'ki' before in the same manner. he really thinks 'ki' is something like the 'Force'. and i am talking about a pretty high ranking Aikido person (beyond 5th dan), but i'm not going to get into names here.

    from my experience with Aikido people, there's quite a substantial amount of such individuals who really peddle the whole 'ki' business pretty hard. at the same time i also can't help but notice just how large and big (not muscular but often fat and overweight) they tend to be and that they often pick small and nimble uke to show off their so-called 'ki'.
    Last edited by twilight_ronin; 7/08/2005 12:03am at .
  4. Poop Loops is offline
    Poop Loops's Avatar

    OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Americastan
    Posts
    10,025

    Posted On:
    7/08/2005 12:13am

    supporting member
     Style: In Transition

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the coolest things I've seen was when a friend of mine showed me a Kendo competition (he's been doing Kendo for years now), and this guy got his **** ruined, and he kneeled down with his back turned to his opponenet, but raised his shinai so he blocked the guy's overhead chop. It's hard to explain, but it looked awesome. My friend just said "He knew it was coming. You just know once you've done it enough."

    PL
  5. xingyifa is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    696

    Posted On:
    7/08/2005 12:20am


     Style: none currently

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Obviously your kenjitsu friend had good chi *rolls eyes*

    Seriously, is there anything worse than when IMA go cheesy?
  6. twilight_ronin is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    9

    Posted On:
    7/08/2005 12:22am


     Style: Karate

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop-Loops
    One of the coolest things I've seen was when a friend of mine showed me a Kendo competition (he's been doing Kendo for years now), and this guy got his **** ruined, and he kneeled down with his back turned to his opponenet, but raised his shinai so he blocked the guy's overhead chop. It's hard to explain, but it looked awesome. My friend just said "He knew it was coming. You just know once you've done it enough."

    PL
    certainly sounds more like a result of years of hard and dedicated practice than any reliance on mystical notions of 'ki'.
  7. xingyifa is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    696

    Posted On:
    7/08/2005 12:26am


     Style: none currently

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think they even use the concept of ki in modern kenjitsu...do they? Anyone?
  8. Poop Loops is offline
    Poop Loops's Avatar

    OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Americastan
    Posts
    10,025

    Posted On:
    7/08/2005 12:42am

    supporting member
     Style: In Transition

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm talking about Kendo, not Kenjutsu...

    And AFAIK, they don't. My friend is like an anti-hippie. Anyway, they just do 1000's of repetitions of every slice/hit /whatever, and an assload of sparring.

    PL
  9. JohnnyCache is offline
    JohnnyCache's Avatar

    All Out of Bubblegum

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,471

    Posted On:
    7/08/2005 1:03am

    supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop-Loops
    One of the coolest things I've seen was when a friend of mine showed me a Kendo competition (he's been doing Kendo for years now), and this guy got his **** ruined, and he kneeled down with his back turned to his opponenet, but raised his shinai so he blocked the guy's overhead chop. It's hard to explain, but it looked awesome. My friend just said "He knew it was coming. You just know once you've done it enough."

    PL

    If a poker board is A 9 9 J 2 and I have an ace and a two, and a guy that's been calling my raises flat re-raises into me on the river, I don't need ki to know he has a 9.

    Sometimes you know what's coming.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
  10. Lane is offline
    Lane's Avatar

    Ex-ninja

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    1,350

    Posted On:
    7/08/2005 1:08am


     Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop-Loops
    I'm talking about Kendo, not Kenjutsu...

    And AFAIK, they don't. My friend is like an anti-hippie. Anyway, they just do 1000's of repetitions of every slice/hit /whatever, and an assload of sparring.

    PL
    It's just paying attention to what's going on. The much maligned godan test in the Bujinkan is to dodge as Hatsumi-sensei swings a sword at you from behind. Much bullhockey is spread about "sensing" your opponent, but I can tell you it's just that little click in your mind when you hear the shuffle of feet, feel the air move, etc. Then again, one of the guys I train with (an Army ranger) says that whenever he sees guys get shot, they always look toward the gun right before they get hit. I'm not overly given to mysticism (OK, OK, I'm a raging anti-mystic) but I think physicalist explanations can be given for all of this "sixth sense" stuff.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.