Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    10/27/2010 11:36am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diverpirate View Post
    From reading quite alot of comments on this and other websites, I am concerned at the level of anger towards GKR Instructors overall
    Can you explain the concept of giving a student with limited amount of training/skill/experience in GKR Karate a black belt with a white stripe on it, then giving said student(s) instructional responsibilities ?
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    10/27/2010 12:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Goju Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Firstly, I went to a Tae Kwon Do club and then to a MMA club and on both occasions there wasn't a handshake or "my name is...welcome to our club". I had taken the time to go along and show willingness but this wasn't recipricol, almost we don't really want you here, and no I am definitely not shy and as for social problems, i don't think so although I do get smelly armpits from time to time LOL.
    I do want to get the most from my Karate and would love to try a different style so that's what I asked in my original post.
    As for the Instructors having a limited amount of experience, I can't explain that. I am not here defending GKR or there practices. The person I train with is 1st Dan and seems to be proficient. What can I gauge that against? Hence I would like to try something different.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    10/27/2010 1:04pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you say "train with" do you mean the 1st dan is the club instructor ?

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    10/28/2010 5:40am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simio de las Rocas View Post
    When you say "train with" do you mean the 1st dan is the club instructor ?
    He is the Dojo Sensei and has another 1st Dan assisting him. In your opinion, at what level can you start teaching martial arts or how many years of experience do you need?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2010 6:54am

Style: Kara te

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He is the Dojo Sensei and has another 1st Dan assisting him. In your opinion, at what level can you start teaching martial arts or how many years of experience do you need?
    In my opinion, For Karate I would look for a 5th degree black belt who is not a fat ass and that would be my starting point. At that level he/she would be mature enough to structure an acceptable learning regime. And the comment about fat ass is relevant even if its impolite because you know they can practice and implement what they teach. Don't bother with less if you want to learn well. I like ippon so a goju would be my preference or a kyokushin.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    10/28/2010 7:23am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok.. my pedantic mode on.

There's no such thing as a "dojo sensei"

Put out of your mind the notion that "sensei" means teacher in Japanese because it doesn't - literally the term sensei means born before and is used to pay respects to some one who, in terms of life experience or professional skill has more than the individual paying the respects.

Sensei is an honorific title which has nothing directly to do with martial arts, Japanese doctors, lawyers or any number of other professional types might be referred to by others as sensei.

You will NEVER hear a Japanese national refer to themselves as a sensei.

In Nihongo, the word which translates to teacher (or professor) is "kyoshi" however, in martial arts this is often a title or position of seniority bestowed upon a particular person by a larger authority or organisation.

[/pedantic mode off]

Ok to answer your question:

It's not specifically the actual grade of the individual that I'd be concerned with, more, I'd be interested to know how long and to what intensity has the instructor been training?

In general terms, shodan is merely the entry level into the learning phase of a much more wider and complex learning, becoming a black belt does not equate to expertise in a given discipline, it is merely the first step of what should be a long and continuing apprenticeship of study. becoming a black belt also does not automatically entitle that individual to start teaching, in traditional terms martial arts instructors should (ideally) undergo "kenshusei" which is a specific course set out to teach potential instructors how to teach, often these courses conclude with a physical grading which can be either shodan, nidan or sandan (depending upon when the candidate started the kenshusei course)

I'd have to ask why is a shodan running a dojo without being subordinate to a more senior instructor ? Who is that individual's teacher ?

As an individual, if I attended a dojo where I was possibly considering joining, if the main teacher was a shodan, I find another club.

Consider this; as a student, you can only physically learn what the instructor knows, at shodan the teacher is only realistically able to teach his students up to that level. Which, in the greater scheme of things is pretty basic stuff.

~Ella Wheeler

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    10/28/2010 7:34am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Firstly, I went to a Tae Kwon Do club and then to a MMA club and on both occasions there wasn't a handshake or "my name is...welcome to our club".
    So to extrapolate, all combat sport practitioners are dicks!

As counterpoints:

I recently attended a new Judo club, with a view to training there regularly (I need extra training days). It was great and everyone was very friendly.

I've occasioned a local BJJ club in the past, it was great and everyone was very friendly.

Of course, I shut the **** up and train, so maybe that factors in...
    I had taken the time to go along and show willingness but this wasn't recipricol
    Oh wow... what you want, a fucking red carpet? The coach to suck you off in gratitude? How about you shut the **** up and train.
    almost we don't really want you here
    TwoThree possibilities.

1. Retention rates in full contact martial arts are generally quite low, some students tend to ignore you until you've been a few times and actually really showed willingness. Don't take it personally.

2. You're a mat spaz.

3. They're dicks... but really, two separate clubs and styles? The only common denominator in your story is actually you.

Posted On:
    10/28/2010 8:44am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Many thanks for the comments you have posted Simio and Hijiri, they are very much appreciated. Lu Tze, whilst I take your comments on board, why the bad language, is this the way you would treat some one who came to your club? A sensible exchange of ideas is why I originally put a post on this site, not to be word slapped by some one I don't know. And I do show willingness to train, I've been going for the last 6 years. It was only after going to a Robert Sullivan seminar that I started questioning the Karate I was doing because his technique(if you could call it that) was so indescribably bad that it was a joke. It looked nothing like the Karate I have been doing.
    I'm trying to find a club in Southampton now, any recommendations?

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    10/28/2010 9:10am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ..//.. any recommendations?
    Yes.. Stop doing GKR and find a mainline form of Karate (if that's what you wish to continue with). With an instructor who holds a minimum of 3rd dan (ideally higher) with verifiable certificated grades from a Japanese source.

But then I'm a martial arts snob and traditionalist hence why I no longer study gendai budo because it is rife with self opinionated bullshit..

~Ella Wheeler

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    10/28/2010 9:42am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lu Tze, whilst I take your comments on board, why the bad language
    I swear for emphasis, not to offend. This isn't the place for that however, so I apologise.

I was also half joking, I'm not telling you which half though.
    is this the way you would treat some one who came to your club?
    I'll have you know I'm a good uke, even for white belts who choose to kick the **** out of my legs because "I'm a black belt in X, I know how to do foot sweeps" (true story).

I may however roll my eyes at you, and laugh when you leave the mats wheezing after a minute of randori. And I wouldn't lament overmuch if you didn't come back, sorry (see point 1).
    I'm trying to find a club in Southampton now, any recommendations?
    Yeah. Do Judo.
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011 LastLast