Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/07/2005 7:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ponchoflash
    In this day and age of kyokushin politics, I don't think affiliation is important anymore. So I would disagree in terms of your rank being meaningless. OSU Sempai is what I'd say!

If you don't mind me asking, where in Canada are you? Are you in Toronto? Do you still train kyokushin?

In reply to canuckkyokushin... I am in Toronto, been training on and off (due to university) for 11 years now, currently shodan.

OSU!
    Currently I live in Brampton.
    I still train, in various systems ( dojo hopper).
    I do NOT train at any kyokushin dodo, I used to train at the one in Mississauga in the early 90's, but its not around anymore ( I looked for it when I got our of the army and it was gone).

I know there is a dojo in Mississauga and there are a couple in Toronto, but right now I am focussing on putting all my **** together, rather than concentrating on just one aspect.

Anyways, if you wanna know more, PM me and we can exchange names and info.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2005 7:48am

Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey Batronin, my PM seems to be disabled... if you want, you can MSN messenger me... ponchoflash@hotmail.com

OSU!

Posted On:
    7/07/2005 7:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey Batronin, my PM seems to be disabled... if you want, you can MSN messenger me... ponchoflash@hotmail.com

OSU!
    mine is:

sanjuro_ronin@hotmail.com

You can add me to messenger if you want.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/07/2005 8:17am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello all, new here.

Read some of the posts and found that there are quite a few Kyokushin guys here... just wondering how long you guys have been training and what rank you guys have... curious to see what the make up is like in the forum... :)

OSU!
    Sandan. I switched to it after leaving Shotokan. Been training off and on (because I move alot) but I got to meet alot of intresting pple and get some good comps in.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    7/07/2005 8:27am

Style: required field? wotsthat?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have never trained in kyokushin but may I say I find the hardcore camaraderie you have and ‘osu’ing’ you guys do kinda cool.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/07/2005 8:38am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OSU is not soley Kyokushin. The term is used in many sports clubs but the karateka made it famous. Originally there was no real meaning to it, but now it is written with the kanji for OTSU (to press) and NIN (Endure, tolerate. same nin as in NINja) so the connotation is to PRESS YOUR ENDURANCE.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2005 8:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EVIL ASIA
    Sandan. I switched to it after leaving Shotokan. Been training off and on (because I move alot) but I got to meet alot of intresting pple and get some good comps in.
    OSU Sensei!!
    Are you still training in Georgia then? Do you have a website for your dojo?

Posted On:
    7/07/2005 9:05am

Style: required field? wotsthat?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh you hear it around many japanese styles...its the way you guys do it though....

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/07/2005 9:54am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah... OSU! Which means to endure + go for it + yes, or like when Sensei says are you tired, someone always yells OSU! (Let's keep training! - while patfromlogan crawls out to barf)

I also am not in a KK dojo now, my teacher having retired. My Sensei wasn't even "legal," as one has to be at least a sandan to be a branch instructor, but being the "toughest haole I ever taught" (Shihan Lowe) and Hawaiian state champion twice, he's rather qualified. I hold a shodan and I tried to test for nidan when I was in Hawaii one time, but Shihan seemed to think that I should test throught the belts in his dojo for some reason...

Del Griffiths was my KK Sensei and once when a student was going to test for black the student wanted to be "legal" to the IKO and bring in the branch instructor from Denver for the test. Del looked embarrassed and said, "Well gee, I'm better than he is." That was the end of that.

So I have my old frayed heavy duty gi with Kyokushinkaikan characters on the left side and no one has EVER questioned lineage or anything. I keep waiting for the opportunity to use Ronin's line about letting me show my lineage out on the mats, but it never happens.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2005 9:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you wear your old frayed kyokushinkai gi with your black belt, I very highly doubt that anyone would question your lineage. From my experience, whenever I see another Kyokushin black belt, I'd just approach and say a loud OSU Sempai/Sensei and start chatting...
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast