Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    3/18/2003 1:33am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is for Vargas and Clang, Asia and...any other active duty service people on the board. I will send a modified copy of this to my friends who are still in uniform. One or two of whom are already on the way.

Just as hawks and doves have battled in the past few months over which camp cared more about the "troops" than the other, in the following weeks civilian America will go through the ritual motions of "supporting" the troops with ribbons and t-shirts, bumper stickers and regular exhortations that we refrain from criticizing the commander-in-chief in the interest of the "troops". I'm sure that some of you, like me, view such demonstration with a certain amount of ambivalence. Undoubtedly some local political and social figures will make a quick appearance timed perfectly with the cameras. And the support of people who conflate the interests of servicepeople with the interests of the ruling political party is of only doubtful usefulness to me.

In fact, despite all this support we will continue to have junior enlisted people who are on food stamps, and a generally undercompensated enlisted corps; we will continue to see vaccination programs whose only value appears to be in padding a particular retired flag officers stock portfolio; we will continue to lose excellent people from among the junior officer ranks; and pork defense projects will continue to divert money from maintenance and training. All of this in a nation whose citizens routinely complain about the comparatively low taxes they are asked to pay, (Yes, there are injustices in the tax system) at the same time that they expect their military forces to deliver the world on-time, under-budget, and without hurting anyone...especially on the other side. This is why I'm leery of "Support Our Troops" campaigns.

Try to tolerate the facile comments of the civilians whose interests you represent (Peanut Gallery: this is the reality of your political institutions) when you return, because that is why you do what you do, no matter how mistaken the war. No matter whether you are used or misused, you can only do your best to listen to your orders, to judge their validity against the constitutional oaths you swore, and then to execute them no matter your political convictions as long as they do not conflict with your oaths. At the end of the day, you have a job to do that very few would be willing to do...no matter how just the cause.

That being said, let me say this as one soldier to all the others...destroy your enemies. Kill with no regard for the safety of those who bear arms against you, but with as much regard for the innocent and the civilian as you can manage. Do whatever is required to allow you to survive this new phase of your lives, of your careers, and to return to your homes and your families.

And above all...DO NOT **** THIS UP because if I have to put the pickle suit back on and clean up after you...I'm going to be very mad indeed.

But seriously, I am very fortunate to have been gifted with the timing to miss out on this one, and I wish you all the very best. Good night.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

***ned

Posted On:
    3/18/2003 6:07am

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well put, bravo. Pray for swift victory over our enemies and the safety of our troops.

~
    daniel

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    3/18/2003 10:23am

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, if someone wants to show their support for this troop, they can start by getting all this #$%#$%#@$% snow off my drive-way (it snowed last night in New Mexico)! Just kidding.

Wastrel did touch on one thing that pisses me off. The enlisted guys (and gals) don't get paid ****, especially when you look at the education and skills they possess and the dangers they face in training and deployments. Wars are fought by people, not by planes, missiles or whatever shiny new toy the Pentagon wastes billions on. So if all you forumites out there want to truly support our troops, push for an increase in enlisted pay when it comes election time. The officers are doing fine, in fact, most are probably over-paid. Except for me, I'm special :) But seriously, remember the soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen that make under 20K a year and who are now hacking the mission in Iraq. Don't be like most Americans and get all patriotic and misty-eyed while the bullets are flying and then forget about the whole issue in 6 months. Have some focus for a change and think about this kind of thing during peace-time. Don't be a victim of a short attention-span.

If I do get deployed, I'll definitely let you guys know. I got back from that area four months ago and I think about the guys who are still there all the time. I just hope most make it back all right, but that's all it is (hope). I'm sure I'll turn into a news junkie here in a couple of days, so I'm stocking up on Mountain Dew before the ball gets rolling.

Love, peace and chicken grease

Vargas

"Go cry about it Vargas. Aren't you late for your shift at McDonald's?"
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

Working my way back to health

Posted On:
    3/18/2003 11:34am

supporting member
     Style: Injury magnet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excellent! You should be a military personnel spokesperson. Very well written.

"I do not agree with what you have to say but, I will defend to the death your right to say it."
    -Voltaire

Posted On:
    3/19/2003 10:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vargas,
    Just so you know, I release you from our wager. But I want to point out (plug here) that poli sci is worth something. Actually, it was just a guess.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    3/19/2003 11:44pm

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tell you what, name a book you'd like to have and I'll mail it to ya (can't be too many $50 books out there). Gotta knock the dust off my Amazon account some time.

"Go cry about it Vargas. Aren't you late for your shift at McDonald's?"
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

Posted On:
    3/20/2003 1:36am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No seriously, I wouldn't want to be a war profiteer...um. Just be my friend. The bestest ever.

Posted On:
    3/20/2003 10:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Romos...

Posted On:
    3/20/2003 5:08pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    erm

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
    The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed later.
    No brain, no gain.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    3/21/2003 3:01pm

Style: non

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vargas well look what their doing there. Their living a dream. I wouldn't mind getting paid **** if I was making a difference.
    The only thing keeping me from joing the military is the fact I'll put so much hard work into training for something that I'll never get do. That and I look like the guy you see in all the war movies who wears glasses and has the phone on his back, who ends up dying the worst death.

"A California man has been taken to court for stalking Anna Nicole Smith. The man has been charged with invasion of privacy, illegal trespassing, and having really bad taste."-Conan
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast