Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 10 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2005 12:15pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great forum. One thing to say, if you are not a PROVEN champion in BJJ then STFU. Wining the “local” gym medal does not count. If your teacher is not THE current, or former, champion then WHY do you train with them? The prob with all this MMA/BJJ stuff is that 90% of the participants could never hang in the ring. Practice what you preach. If you are in the top ten in the country then I will listen to you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2005 12:38pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUTKD
    Great forum. One thing to say, if you are not a PROVEN champion in BJJ then STFU. Wining the “local” gym medal does not count. If your teacher is not THE current, or former, champion then WHY do you train with them? The prob with all this MMA/BJJ stuff is that 90% of the participants could never hang in the ring. Practice what you preach. If you are in the top ten in the country then I will listen to you.
    I don't know where to begin here. Wait, I do.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    7/06/2005 12:40pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUTKD
    Because no one who isn't a pro fighter knows ANYTHING about MA, right?
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2005 12:40pm

Style: none currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have I been here long enough to say STFU NOOB!...?

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    7/06/2005 12:49pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ****, you know the reason I don't write articles about MA? I've been training for 17 years and I feel like I still don't really know ANYTHING. I'm still perfecting myself.

Anyone else remember this story I told a while back?

I head out to this school in the valley, show up JUST in time for class. But I don't have my belt and I have to borrow one. I think this gives the impression that this is my first class to the 6 guys who are there with the teacher and a blue belt (both of whom I know).

We do some cool drills, then I get partnered up with Porky the Pig, who's about 16. This kid is unambiguously fat. He's shorter than I am and at LEAST 50 pounds heavier. We're rolling, and I guess he's perturbed that his "tactic" of resting his considerable weight on my stomach isn't making me cry. Also, he seems not to realise that I'm following directions and trying to "flow", so I'm not sinking anything, just taking the position to where I know I could, then letting him turn me over and stuff. He's just sitting his fat on my chest and getting pissed off. He starts trying to impress me with what a bad-ass he is: "I train in Muay Thai, and kickboxing and ...." "My thoughts: Well, you ain't training very hard, Porky. So, at one point he tries to stack me in the guard. I'm working on the turnover and he goes: "Ha, I could just punch you in the face!" and mimes a punch to the face. I look up at him and say: "Yeah, and before we started I could have kicked you in the balls. That's not the drill." The response?

"THAT'S CHEATING!"

Then I turned him over. And he didn't want to roll anymore.
    That still gives me a warm feeling inside.
    Last edited by JKDChick; 7/06/2005 12:53pm at .
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Wing Chun Instructor

Posted On:
    7/06/2005 1:00pm

Style: fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, and before we started I could have kicked you in the balls. That's not the drill." The response?
    this statement braught warm fuzzies into my heart...lol

I get this all the time. People forget that a drill is...... A DRILL!!!!

I get it as a teacher pretty often. A student who has some former bad habit says "Yeah but i just want to do this" or "It's hard to fight my former training". More often then none their former training was lacking. I usually tell them that I'm not trying to replace what they did before.... only make it more efficiant. because that is what TRUE Wing Chun is..... efficiant. Same thing goes for ground work. There's always the one guy who says "I coulda, I woulda" and so on. They are usually paired up with the guys that are more then happy to explore the woulda coulda's with them...... and it's not a pretty sight...lol

Good on ya JKDChick :icon_wink

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    7/06/2005 1:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by leejunfan
    this statement braught warm fuzzies into my heart...lol

I get this all the time. People forget that a drill is...... A DRILL!!!!

I get it as a teacher pretty often. A student who has some former bad habit says "Yeah but i just want to do this" or "It's hard to fight my former training". More often then none their former training was lacking. I usually tell them that I'm not trying to replace what they did before.... only make it more efficiant. because that is what TRUE Wing Chun is..... efficiant. Same thing goes for ground work. There's always the one guy who says "I coulda, I woulda" and so on. They are usually paired up with the guys that are more then happy to explore the woulda coulda's with them...... and it's not a pretty sight...lol

Good on ya JKDChick :icon_wink
    Don´t hate me Anthony, but in my case my MT coach had to beat WC out of me... :violent1:

And yes, the tough guy syndrome. In my gym we had only one case, mainly because our coach has that psycho killer look on his eyes, and people tend to avoid annoying him. The fact that my MT team enters competitions regularly also tends to keep people humble.

But we did have a guy who was big and strong and had done some capoeira. He sparred our toughest guy, our guy was easy on him, and he told the coach he wanted to compete, since it obviously wasn´t so hard.

My coach smiled, nodded, put on his own gloves, and proceeded to chase the poor bastard around the tatame while he ran away trying to keep his head over his shoulders. Afterwards the coach told him he was himself a LITTLE better than the average competitor, and the guy STFU.
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    7/06/2005 1:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by xingyifa
    Have I been here long enough to say STFU NOOB!...?

Oh no you haven't!!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2005 1:53pm

Style: none currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    then you say it

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    7/06/2005 1:53pm

Style: BJJ, Kickboxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I blocked a friends jab with the point of my elbow in college, and broke two of his fingers. I felt awful. It was just the basic Kali block where you go from a standard hands up boxing guard and rotate your arm up wo your hand is next to your head, and your elbow is pointing straight out from your left eye (for a right punch). Kinda like how you'd block a right hook as you stepped in to counter with a right straight of your own in a regular boxing match.

I thought at first his glove had "popped" or something because of the sound it made. They were those old red Everlast gloves with the little black band holding the thumb to the glove so you couldn't "touch up cuts" on a guy. Three round amatuer bout, I think they called it a no contest or whatever, but it didnt' really matter considering the result.

Punching someone's elbow is the be all, end all of how to hurt your hand.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 10 LastLast