Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2005 2:26am

Style: HKD, TKD, Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We can't entirely blame the newbie blowhards of BJJ or any MA system if thier instructors use terms like ultimate or best fighting system. Those words so blatently imply that the student has made the right choice and that all the rest of us sniveling little shits in the MA world are a bunch a boobs that are only allowed to survive because of thier good graces and sheer will power. These instructors use those words to sell thier system and get more bodies in the door. The newbie student simply does not know better.

Let me state for the record, my little nutriders, that there is only ONE ultimate martial art: thermo-nuclear warfare. Anything short of that is subjective.

Most good, experienced instructors know that there is no one system that outperforms the rest of them.

The best thing for a newbie to do is shut up, take his beatings, and learn all that he can. Most of us who made it to some sort of higher understanding of our particular art(s) either did just that, or just got the **** kicked out of us enough to learn that we know nothing, and that maybe the old guys got there by learning a few things that we do not know yet.

Hole in one.

Posted On:
    7/05/2005 2:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Finally, the TRUTH.

Welcome , I hope you can stomach the kids around here. its very difficult.

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    7/05/2005 2:55am

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spunky
    When I started training, my instructor made the analogy of a martial arts training career to the lifecycle of a person.

Compare someone whos been training for a few months to a young infant, and the behavior makes total sense :smile: I was warned about entering the terrible twos, wanting to show off that you're all billy bad-ass and such... hard to not let your attitude drift to that despite the warning. Good thing there's always someone willing to show me how just plain bad I am.

Of course, this means that no matter what martial art you're doing, you aren't really mature until at least 18-25 depending on your gender and upbringing. Then there's the mid-life crisis...
    Exactly. The new guy is all excited about his art and how much he is progressing from his untrained state... give these BJJ young'uns time enough to go through their first tournament and have their asses handed to them in competition and they'll wisen up. When I first started taking martial arts (many years ago) I thought I was unbeatable as well, until I got punched in the face in the school yard by a guy twice my size. I tried to block his punch and caught it in the ear. Shut my ass up real quick.

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    7/05/2005 2:56am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had this last night in training. We were doing a drill where one person tried to pass guard (getting side control, mount, knee on belly), then switched to the next.

I was up with against a young guy, maybe 16 or 17. I start to pass his guard and he tries to push me off with a straight arm. Okay armbar.

I don't wait for him to tap or anything. Instead I put on the arm bar, squeeze for a quarter second and release it so that I can go to the next guy. This was a drill and not about getting the submission or making someone tap.

Instead, the guy jumps on my back like he just took it. I grab his arm and throw him over, but not too hard.

Hole in one.

Posted On:
    7/05/2005 3:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Give um an inch and they take a mile. Thats why I don't give away any inches anymore.

I am also tired of people mistaking kindness for weakness. No more kindness.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    7/05/2005 3:16am

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People who fervently hope for the reintroduction of spanking young whippersnappers into social acceptability and educational use are going to recieve a metaphorical spanking of their own when they're dying alone in a geezer home because their children hate them.

More later.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/05/2005 9:57am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuDoesWork
    Give um an inch and they take a mile. Thats why I don't give away any inches anymore.

I am also tired of people mistaking kindness for weakness. No more kindness.

Yeah, that's my philosophy these days.

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    7/05/2005 10:29am

Style: Kickboxing/Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuDoesWork
    UHHHHHH yeah, can you say Bi-polar?

You know, what tires me most are know nothing children that were born friggin yesterday, that don't know me from atom, and talk to me like they weren't toddlers ten years ago. :fucyc: :sleepy4:

Dont worry KFDW, I've had this kid IM me on AOL telling me why I needed to take grappling and that any grappler(including himself) could own me in 5 seconds or some ****.

I then tried to explain that like striking, grappling was just a sport and I definately wouldn't use it in street fight situation. He still wasn't convinced and I had to tell him to politely **** off.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    7/05/2005 10:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    This is not the first time this has been posted, not by me but by other posters. What the **** is up with beginning BJJ nutriders out there. For the umpteenth time in my life I've got some shithead talking about how he could take anybody down and tap him out because he's been training in BJJ for 3 or so months. I don't have anything against BJJ. I like our local BJJ instructors and we all cross train together. I help them out and vice versa everybody's happy. Goddamnit people BJJ is not the end all of grappling.

This last friday this guy comes in to train with one of our MMA coaches. He's been in Thailand for the past few months and they toughened him up. Great, but he though he could match up in striking. Wrong answer as he ate punches and kicks left and right. Muay Thai is not the be all of striking.

Two years ago a local boxing coach asked if we had any big guy his golden gloves fighter could spar. Just me at my gym. So I go down and when this guy found out I wasn't that good at boxing he starts to get all Roy Jones Jr. on me and starts to box cocky. I look at his coach who told him to knock it off. Half way throught the second round when he wouldn't stop I quick jammed his jabs and elbowed his shoulders (some of you kempo and muay thai guys should know what I'm talking about). I ended up breaking the guys hand. Boxing is not the here all of hand techniques.

Jeez guys have a degree of humility if you're a beginner. Remember the 'ol saying age and treachery will always beat youth and enthusiasm.

I must admit that, my exposure to BJJ is limited to a handful of people,
    A couple of white belts, a few blues, a purple a Black and and 3rd degree.

Of all those, only the BB's were cool guys, easy going and they had no doubts about the effectivness AND limitations of their art.

Inexperience makes people think really stupid ****, especially when they equate their skill level to people WITHOUT any fighting skill.

But that is common in boxing, wrestling, heck even in judo and karate and TKD.

Its not just the BJJ scrotum sitters, its the "too deadly kung fu" guys and the "kick over your head TKD" guys and "break a coconut with my cock" guys.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/05/2005 10:34am

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My general rule of thumb is until someone has been KO'd, tapped out, or simply humiliated by someone outside of their system or school, they tend to talk way too much.

Unfortunately there are still folks that the above happens to and they still don't get it.

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 LastLast