Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/07/2005 6:13pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I triad, without success, to change my old, one time hard core TKD school ( Some of the fighters for in japan against kickboxers, did long-5 miles plus conditioning runs, etc) from being a McDojo. The instructor still used bocing technique, but had pumped a ton of belts into the system, and to add material, he simply added useless multi kick combos. Ex front/double Rooundhouse/Side Kick/Hook kick. His own wife, who was a black belt, thought this was BS, and it was had on the hips and knees, besides being useless. He claimed it helped one's balance.
    What it came down to, was, he had to earn a living, and all this crap he got from these marketing parasites and their seminars, took over his business.
    I finally left for Fairtex, but by then, the best years of my martial arts were far behind me.
    At the end of the day, it's his school, and he's got to eat.
    BTW, the guys at Fairtex admitted that their turnover was high, with few lasting even 2 years.

Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    7/07/2005 6:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why not just join a different club? If you think what they do is Bullshido, don't go anymore.

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    7/07/2005 6:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Kickboxing/Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Converting a McDojo into an effective isn't going to happen buddy. It's like Christians trying to convert Muslims. In the end, it just pisses people off and no one comes out a winner.

My advice is to go find a better school and make it clear why your leaving.
    "did Phrost just call me a 'bitch'?"-Omega

"The collective IQ of bullshido was reduced with the departure of Wastrel. It further dropped due to the retention of (Serious Harm)."
    - The all knowing Dochter

"but like, it's possible to develop such a level of reflex that you can literally detect someones movements through sensitivity, and block without even thinking"-Apostol

That's the amazing thing about Ninjas, for sneeky cocksuckers, they are all over the place, like dog **** on your shoe.-Ronin69

Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    7/07/2005 6:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Ghost
    Converting a McDojo into an effective isn't going to happen buddy. It's like Christians trying to convert Muslims. In the end, it just pisses people off and no one comes out a winner.

My advice is to go find a better school and make it clear why your leaving.
    Agreed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2005 9:36pm

Style: Tyrannical teabagging

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it ain't Alive it ain't useful.
    Just add Aliveness.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2005 12:18am

Style: Taco Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Ghost
    Converting a McDojo into an effective isn't going to happen buddy
    Oh, I don't know about that. In the last few years locally I've seen McDojo's converted effectively into camera stores, antique shops, and paint stores.

It's an admirable goal to try and add some 'liveness' to what you describe and feel is overtly static training. I would suggest an approach to starting out with repetitions of the static drill, then when you and partner are catching on to the motions, ask if the partner wouldn't mind trying it with movement a little. Just a little 'liveness' tends to inspire. You could tell instructors that it helps you get the feel for the technique a little better in varied situations if there is a little 'liveness' involved. Then you can ask when you can chain some of the things you've been learning together with partners in a freer environment (politically correct term for sparring). If they are real rigid, you might not get far and need to seek ass whoopage elsewhere. But sometimes there are things of value to be salvaged and people can be brought into the 21st century.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2005 12:31am

Style: none currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could always find a few like minded individuals within the dojo who are willing to meet outside of class to try out the techniques with a bit more resistance. Doing things without qualified instruction isn't always the best option, but sometimes you just have to take matters into your own hands...or you could just leave.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2005 11:44am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoFu
    Oh, I don't know about that. In the last few years locally I've seen McDojo's converted effectively into camera stores, antique shops, and paint stores.
    Really? In my experience I've seen the McDojo belt factories succeed wildly. Most people dont really want to train in a hard martial art, get bruised, break a nail, etc. Most people want to show up on tuesday and thursday nights for an hour, punch the air, get a belt every two months, and never actually fight anyone. Those are the schools that I've seen make the most money, at least around here.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12