Sponsored Links Spacer Image

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/04/2005 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was the "irate gorrilla" entry and shoulder strike something out of baji or were you just messing around with things? Would you use that kind of approach in a more serious competition?
    The stalking is me screwing around. I do the same thing in comps if its really onesided (sometimes the cardmaker is asleep or really cruel.)

RM,

What I am getting at is that why can't you have "stylized" moves from the get go? Boxers look like boxers from the start. They don't need to build a base to to that. What I am really getting at is I think there is a significant lack in training. How can this be fixed with turning into kickboxing? (Food for thought)

I disagree here. Why does TKD look distinctive?
    Uhm because the kick differntly. Korean method of kicking is the same as Thai. TKD focuses on light fast footwork were Thai. for the most part, goes for power. They both have pretty much the same arsenal but they don't do them the same. A TKD round kick is not the same as a Thai one.

Because they can't punch worth a damn and the stance isn't quite right. When they actually know how to kickbox and do so, it often looks like kickboxing as can be seen in that Polish cage fight.
    I disagree with this to some extent. I know many TKD guys that can punch well but they still had a distinct TKD flavor when fighting. And look at Savate, good with both fist and feet but don't look like normal kickboxing.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/04/2005 2:44pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EVIL ASIA
    RM,

What I am getting at is that why can't you have "stylized" moves from the get go? Boxers look like boxers from the start. They don't need to build a base to to that. What I am really getting at is I think there is a significant lack in training. How can this be fixed with turning into kickboxing? (Food for thought)
    I know what you're saying, bro, but I wouldn't dream of comparing taiji to boxing from the perspective of skill development. Boxing is what you should start with. ****, it's what I should have started with (and am now trying to fill in the holes for). Taiji approaches training from such a divergent perspective that it's a rare student who can really take it from scratch and turn it into anything substantial. I'm doing my best with the few assets that I have.

There's no question that you should start out with high percentage moves -- at least if you're ever going to compete against other trained individuals. That IMAs don't stress this for beginners does them a disservice. Trying to do something fancy before you can do something basic is just silly. And it's a practice born from either a lack of alive training or a whole lot of idealism.

I guess that what I"m trying to say is that if a taiji player doesn't already have a base, they need to build one from a practical perspective. To begin with, that base will look a lot like kickboxing, etc. for all but the most gifted students. But it doesn't have to remain like that. From my perspective the greatest thing about CMAs in general is the vastness of techniques that go beyond the standard base. The worst thing, though? The lack of that standard base to begin with and work outward from.

Posted On:
    7/04/2005 2:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMA shoudl have a disclamier:

For advanced practioners only.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/04/2005 2:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree. But for some reason, my untalented ass just won't give up on it anyway.

Posted On:
    7/04/2005 2:50pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Repulsive Monkey
    I agree. But for some reason, my untalented ass just won't give up on it anyway.

You just like the hippe clothes and the cool names like:

Flying cock in a swallows den.
    Leaping Tiger eats beaver.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/04/2005 2:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You tell me that MMA wouldn't be more entertaining with commentary like:

"Oh oh, Joe. It looks like the taiji master has neutralized his opponent's attack with his golden cock."
    "That's right, Mike. And now he's looking to finish him off by opening his shuttles . . . Wide! He opened those shuttles wide, Joe!
    "Oooh. That's gotta hurt."
    "I hope he puts those peaches back when he's done with them."
    "No, Joe. He claims that they give him immortality."
    "Live and learn, Mike, live and learn."

Posted On:
    7/04/2005 2:59pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Repulsive Monkey

"Oh oh, Joe. It looks like the taiji master has neutralized his opponent's attack with his golden cock."
    "That's right, Mike. And now he's looking to finish him off by opening his shuttles . . . Wide! He opened those shuttles wide, Joe!

:confused3

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/04/2005 3:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BatRonin
    IMA shoudl have a disclamier:

For advanced practioners only.

If I recall right Bagua did have that disclaimer at the start. Only accomplished students of other styles were taught it.

:laughing1
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    7/04/2005 3:30pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I recall right Bagua did have that disclaimer at the start. Only accomplished students of other styles were taught it.

That's because people used to get dizzy and puke on the Sifu's shoes.
    Damn noobs.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/04/2005 3:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The one baji class that I know of in the Toronto area has the same requirement
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast