Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2005 3:04am

Style: Judo, Brazilian Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    Year Zero.

I would confront your instructor. Tell him you don't want to be mucking around with kids - you want serious training and lots of sparring. If your instrcutor cannot giveyou that I would look for another martial arts dojo.

I dunno about you but I only have a limited amount of time for training during the week and I don't like wasting it with half-assed classes.

Well the particular instructor I went to actually has Jujitsu and real qualifications, it's just that I was looking for Judo training because I wanted a balance in groundfighting(which I already had some experience in) and stand-up grappling(which I have very little). However, I have heard of similar issues at many other schools around here, schools that probably don't have nearly the same level of credibility.

Given my work schedule, I had to leave anyway(though I did learn some vital way to improve my techniques there), but if I ever find time for MA again, I am going to make sure the place actually has CLASSES for the art I am looking for.

For an example of what I am NOT working for: I was approached one day by a fellow in a Chinese sleeveless gi while walking through the parking lot of a trendy commercial section of town. He hands me a flyer for a Kung Fu dojo(this was when I was first looking for a school). Obviously I have no interest in Kung Fu but I figure maybe they teach some practical art at the school so I ask him what all they have there. He rattles of a list of various "styles" of Kung Fu, mostly named after animals.

No...we're not doing any of THAT, thank you very much.

BTW, this is an excellent forum and I hope that it starts a trend that will eventually conquer all forms of Bullshido in MA world.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    7/02/2005 3:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well all I can say is good luck in finding somewhere suitable.

It's hard to judge a class based on one training session. So before you decide to join and fork out any money I would just go and watch 2 classes first. Just sit down and watch. If you like what you see - go back a thord time.Then ask if you can try out a lesson. 3 classes should give you an idea of how they train.

Based on that you should be able to decide if the place is worth it.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2005 1:35pm

Style: brawling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it sounds like one of those sales gimmick and u cant really fault them becos they do teach 1 or 2 things that comes from karate.

god, i dispeise clubs who intentionally resorts to sales gimmicks (aka liars).
    Otherwise, it's probably the fault of those 'professional' advertising agents.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    7/02/2005 1:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kickcatcher
    Yeah, I've seen that, even amongst 'good' clubs.
    Yeah, I was going to say that one of my old gyms did that, and they were definately not a bad school.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Posted On:
    7/02/2005 2:05pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That whole. "Tae Kwon do, Judo, Kendo, Kickboxing" etc has been around since the early 70's, and some of the time the instructor has racks in all of them. Realistically, There is not that much space in most dojo's to teach more than two arts. You can even find go classses at a YMCA or a community college. We had a wrestling coach that taught judo, and he was a real bad ass.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2005 9:55pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a really famous gym near me and everyone that passes on the main door can see a HUGE YELLOW SIGN with all of the martial arts systems being taugh there...from shotokan Karate, to white crane kung fu, from wing chun to muay thai, you name it and they probably got it. well, the problems is that every and mean every single one of those arts is being taught by the same guy, which smells like bullshido at first...and then goes on to reek of bullshido when there's some anoying and persisten rumors that eight of the ten arts he's teaching he learned from videos and books...and since I visited the gym a couple of times and watched him teaching karate kicks as muay thai ones...well. it just seems like no matter the size of the country...there's always the chance for some sweet bullshido!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2005 11:31pm

Style: Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At my school the avertise both Kempo and Ju Jitsu but most of the ju jitsu is taught in group classes and or you must specificly ask to be taught it as there are only two instructors who know it well enough to teach it actually it is one instructor and one assistant Instructor.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    7/02/2005 11:51pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kokujin, go kick his ass. Come on, make daddy proud. :)

PL

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2005 7:44am

Style: Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokujin
    There's a really famous gym near me and everyone that passes on the main door can see a HUGE YELLOW SIGN with all of the martial arts systems being taugh there...from shotokan Karate, to white crane kung fu, from wing chun to muay thai, you name it and they probably got it. well, the problems is that every and mean every single one of those arts is being taught by the same guy, which smells like bullshido at first...and then goes on to reek of bullshido when there's some anoying and persisten rumors that eight of the ten arts he's teaching he learned from videos and books...and since I visited the gym a couple of times and watched him teaching karate kicks as muay thai ones...well. it just seems like no matter the size of the country...there's always the chance for some sweet bullshido!
    Not true.. there is with only a street adress they have to go across the street ot get there Bullshido.

Ex-RAF

Posted On:
    7/03/2005 11:01am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just let me know if any of you come across a place that teaches "Handbag slapping" as a viable fighting style. I'd want to have a look at that.

No, really.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast