Posted On:
    7/01/2005 1:06am

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Good SOLO grappling drills

well. list em here.
    I'll start with one
    Sit outs - start laying on your back as if you were in gaurd, uncross your legs, set them down sit up, put one hand(alternate hands each time you do a sit out) back for stability, then scoot your ass out, then scoot it back in, then lie back down legs up as if you had someone in your gaurd, repeat.
    I just want to get lots of em here, cause I wanna learn as many solo grappling drills as I can because i don't have very many people to roll with.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    7/01/2005 1:55am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bridging, rolling, shrimping and then getting to all fours, shots, etc.

I have all kinds of excersizes for warming up that mirror actual grappling. But they never take the place of actual grappling. They are simply warm up.

I read somewhere that there was a guy who did shadow wrestling everyday. He said it was important. Named Gable or something. Couldn't mean much though if he wasn't a brazilian.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    7/01/2005 6:10am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9

I have all kinds of excersizes for warming up that mirror actual grappling. But they never take the place of actual grappling. They are simply warm up.

I read somewhere that there was a guy who did shadow wrestling everyday. He said it was important. Named Gable or something. Couldn't mean much though if he wasn't a brazilian.
    Was his first name Dan? :eusa_ange Oh well probably doesn't matter.

But I agree. Rolling, shrimping etc. Can never do enough of that. Mostly for warming up yes, but if there's noone else around it's better than nothing. I also like "shadow-JJ" Because it's summer, I've moved and I'll have a month without training at a club, I catch myself doing shadow throws and such whenever I'm alone. I'm always afraid I'll lose my touch if I don't go through it somehow. I find it helps going through the moves without an opponent as well. As long as you focus on what you're actually doing. Consider it a learning experience. Like trying to explain it to someone. Contemplate the hows and whys as you go through the movements. It's probably more a thing I do because I'm a total addict more than that it's actually too helpful.

Also the standing up thing. From your back, get up on you elbows, post an arm out and rest your weight on it. Move the same side foot underneath you and back while resting your weight on that one arm. Keeping your other hand up to protect yourself and presto stand up. Kicking your opponent away is helpful too (if you have one :P) Watch Renzo Gracie vs. Kazushi Sakuraba for references.

Unfortunately nothing will substitute actual rolling. But I take anything I can. I even "force myself" onto friends and family. It's amazingly simple to do a tani otoshi on an unsuspecting victim. And they sure do fight back, even though there's not much technique :qleapfrog
    More human than human is our motto.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    7/01/2005 11:59am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

We do all those as a warm-up too, and they DO help a lot. When I went to that tournament last Sunday (Video coming soon hopefully...), the guy got knee on belly, and then I remembered the shrimping exercise, and got out fairly easy. I've done them so much that they've become ingrained. :)

PL

Posted On:
    7/01/2005 1:13pm

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah those things rock
    do you guys know anymore that hasn't been listed, and osiris, could you elaborate on what you said please? i'm confused.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/01/2005 4:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightstrike
    and osiris, could you elaborate on what you said please? i'm confused.
    Watch the movie "Vision Quest" and you'll get the idea.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    7/01/2005 4:43pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...Lunatic fringe,
    We know you're out there....

*crowds cheering*

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/01/2005 4:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...Lunatic fringe,
    We know you're out there....

*crowds cheering*
    Bingo! And it is there that Nightstrike shall find that which he seeks.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    7/01/2005 5:09pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From my training log:

“the homer spin” (Ok I made up this name) with your face down and your shoulder on the ground, walk your feet out to spin you on the ground. Kick your legs over rolling your weight to your back shoulder and then bouncing your feet back then to flip your body onto your face. Also try throwing leg under to roll onto your back. If you flow with this and switch it up it almost looks like break dancing.

The whole point of the drill is to simulate the fight to maintain half guard. Walking out to put the pressure on or bringing your knee through to free your leg, Countering their reversal by bouncing back when the bridge to flip you over. Pushing their hand down by rolling onto your side to circle their force.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    7/01/2005 5:23pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no Osiris.... how do grapple?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast