6/30/2005 4:49pm, #11
yeah good example of the systemOriginally Posted by octopic
Haven't we already established that you're a moron and barely understand what you're talking about. Hmmm you claim TKD now. You sure you don't mean karate?
6/30/2005 6:40pm, #12
Villari's schools are all over Connecticut along with the United Schools of Self Defense who broke away from him for reasons I'm not privy to.
I was in a Villari school for about a year during law school taking their cardio kickboxing class, and some of the sparring classes. Here is my brief overview of their practices. I was lucky in that I was in their west hartford branch which was run by a guy named clyde who was quite skilled and actually won their internal black belt tournments. (I saw him do so once). Clyde was also a very good teacher.
1) It seemed like standard Kempo to me, dressed up with some references to Chi, finding your inner chi, and references to shaolin Kung Fu which Mr. villari had supposedly obtained exposure to through some unspecified method.
2) Their competition was basic point fighting though Clyde didn't complain when I and one of his talented if jerky 17 year old black belts turned it up a notch during sparring because we didn't like each other.
3) Their grappling was ineffectual, a number of escapes from grabs with cute names like circle and square.
4) They had a childrens program which was typical but at least they were not pretending to be ninjas or handing out black belt rank. I never saw a kiddie black belt there.
5) Their cardio kickboxing program was very well designed. The members got to work on wave master bags the second half of the class, and as a result the participants at least learned how to punch something solid. they never claimed we were actually learning real self defense either which was good.
6) They were very honest and ethical with me. They charged reasonable prices and when I wanted out they immediately stopped taking money out of my bank account. Clyde was good to me, but I decided to go BJJ.
6/30/2005 7:06pm, #13
The psyche of people joining these programs eludes me... What is it? Someone got beat up one day, mugged, etc, and decided they can be more effective with a self taught program but can't invest the time? I guess the same age old question about mcdojoism. Somebody sell some videos on common sense! (damn, forget that idea)
As rhetorical as it is, the point of a well run school is to pace you through the potential daunting, long and harsh road to be extraordinary (against your former self). All the repetitions, sweating, wounds, curses, humbling experiences, etc...
It has to be exponentially insulting to those that have put in the years and the passion, but I think it serves those right that believe in this crap.zenbert
Hold me... :3some:
I love MA. Unlike many things in life, you get what you put in.
6/30/2005 7:12pm, #14Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
I know a few Villari blackbelts. They're decent enough to earn my respect but Mcdojoism is still Mcdojoism.
6/30/2005 8:30pm, #15Originally Posted by zenbert
6/30/2005 8:38pm, #16Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
7/01/2005 7:25am, #17
Originally Posted by omega
- Join Date
- Aug 2003
7/01/2005 7:41am, #18Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
7/01/2005 9:31am, #19Originally Posted by octopic
Gee you got me there. So you're telling me you didn't go around whining about schools who claim karate when they're really TKD yet you come from a system that claims 3 different styles? I've also noticed that you now claim TKD. Was this before or after your ignorant inital posts? Either way this makes you either uneducated, ignorant, and/or a hypocrite. Only meds I take are asprin when dealing with little pieces of **** like you. :bduh:
I guess this is the where you tell me you're going to be manipulating the situation and that I'm just playing the game you set up for me. Hey what happened to you teaching? Did everybody find out you're just a retard who's been living with his mother for the past few years?
Unlike Sam you're a poor excuse to be vouching for anybody. In other words you're doing more harm than good vouching for the Villari System. You've only showed ignorance when talking about the martial arts so why don't you just go on your merry way and leave the serioius talk to the adults?
Last edited by Omega; 7/01/2005 9:34am at .
7/01/2005 9:39am, #20Originally Posted by octopic