Posted On:
    6/30/2005 4:49pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

yeah good example of the system

Quote Originally Posted by octopic
    I've never met GM Villari, but everyone I know who's ever worked with him (including some people who left his org under very bad circumstances) says that he's an amazing martial artist. His business dealings,... well, that's a topic for another time (don't get me started on the videos).

SKK is, in my opinion, a good art when properly taught. You're supposed to learn stand up and ground work. You're supposed to find what works for you and use it. The problem comes with the fact that it is really easy to McDojo the art. Just teach people to walk through the forms, and the combinations and give them a belt. I've seen some schools that supposedly teach SKK, and while all of the material is the same, they do no ground work, barely spar, and don't work against resistance.

I've been doing MA for 14 years and have had exposure to a variety of arts (SKK, American Kenpo, Aikido, TKD, Shaolin Northern Long Fist), and I can say that I find SKK to be the one that best fits me. If you have any questions about what SKK is supposed to be like, I'll do my best to answer them.

Haven't we already established that you're a moron and barely understand what you're talking about. Hmmm you claim TKD now. You sure you don't mean karate?

Posted On:
    6/30/2005 6:40pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Villari's schools are all over Connecticut along with the United Schools of Self Defense who broke away from him for reasons I'm not privy to.

I was in a Villari school for about a year during law school taking their cardio kickboxing class, and some of the sparring classes. Here is my brief overview of their practices. I was lucky in that I was in their west hartford branch which was run by a guy named clyde who was quite skilled and actually won their internal black belt tournments. (I saw him do so once). Clyde was also a very good teacher.

1) It seemed like standard Kempo to me, dressed up with some references to Chi, finding your inner chi, and references to shaolin Kung Fu which Mr. villari had supposedly obtained exposure to through some unspecified method.

2) Their competition was basic point fighting though Clyde didn't complain when I and one of his talented if jerky 17 year old black belts turned it up a notch during sparring because we didn't like each other.

3) Their grappling was ineffectual, a number of escapes from grabs with cute names like circle and square.

4) They had a childrens program which was typical but at least they were not pretending to be ninjas or handing out black belt rank. I never saw a kiddie black belt there.

5) Their cardio kickboxing program was very well designed. The members got to work on wave master bags the second half of the class, and as a result the participants at least learned how to punch something solid. they never claimed we were actually learning real self defense either which was good.

6) They were very honest and ethical with me. They charged reasonable prices and when I wanted out they immediately stopped taking money out of my bank account. Clyde was good to me, but I decided to go BJJ.

$1.50

Posted On:
    6/30/2005 7:06pm

supporting member
     Style: golf club jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The psyche of people joining these programs eludes me... What is it? Someone got beat up one day, mugged, etc, and decided they can be more effective with a self taught program but can't invest the time? I guess the same age old question about mcdojoism. Somebody sell some videos on common sense! (damn, forget that idea)

As rhetorical as it is, the point of a well run school is to pace you through the potential daunting, long and harsh road to be extraordinary (against your former self). All the repetitions, sweating, wounds, curses, humbling experiences, etc...

It has to be exponentially insulting to those that have put in the years and the passion, but I think it serves those right that believe in this crap.
    zenbert
    Hold me... :3some:

I love MA. Unlike many things in life, you get what you put in.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/30/2005 7:12pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
    Villari's schools are all over Connecticut along with the United Schools of Self Defense who broke away from him for reasons I'm not privy to.

I was in a Villari school for about a year during law school taking their cardio kickboxing class, and some of the sparring classes. Here is my brief overview of their practices. I was lucky in that I was in their west hartford branch which was run by a guy named clyde who was quite skilled and actually won their internal black belt tournments. (I saw him do so once). Clyde was also a very good teacher.

1) It seemed like standard Kempo to me, dressed up with some references to Chi, finding your inner chi, and references to shaolin Kung Fu which Mr. villari had supposedly obtained exposure to through some unspecified method.

2) Their competition was basic point fighting though Clyde didn't complain when I and one of his talented if jerky 17 year old black belts turned it up a notch during sparring because we didn't like each other.

3) Their grappling was ineffectual, a number of escapes from grabs with cute names like circle and square.

4) They had a childrens program which was typical but at least they were not pretending to be ninjas or handing out black belt rank. I never saw a kiddie black belt there.

5) Their cardio kickboxing program was very well designed. The members got to work on wave master bags the second half of the class, and as a result the participants at least learned how to punch something solid. they never claimed we were actually learning real self defense either which was good.

6) They were very honest and ethical with me. They charged reasonable prices and when I wanted out they immediately stopped taking money out of my bank account. Clyde was good to me, but I decided to go BJJ.
    Like I keep saying Sam, we should never confuse bullshidoisms with Mcdojo. Though they go hand in hand they don't neccessarily mean the same. :duckie:

I know a few Villari blackbelts. They're decent enough to earn my respect but Mcdojoism is still Mcdojoism.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/30/2005 8:30pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zenbert
    The psyche of people joining these programs eludes me... What is it? Someone got beat up one day, mugged, etc, and decided they can be more effective with a self taught program but can't invest the time? I guess the same age old question about mcdojoism. Somebody sell some videos on common sense! (damn, forget that idea)
    You are quite wrong my friend. A very unkown fact is that MILLIONS of Americans have been imprisoned in their own homes by pranksters who welded their doors shut. There is no way for them to leave! They must buy these videos so they can learn how to krotty chop the doors down.

PL

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    6/30/2005 8:38pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning

That wasn't "our" Clyde was it?
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2005 7:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    Haven't we already established that you're a moron and barely understand what you're talking about. Hmmm you claim TKD now. You sure you don't mean karate?
    Oy, here we go again. Are you off your meds again? Seriously, back on the Zoloft for you. Also, please head back to 2nd grade for reading comprehension.

Posted On:
    7/01/2005 7:41am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    That wasn't "our" Clyde was it?
    Don't know, did you ever study villari in west hartford?

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/01/2005 9:31am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oy, here we go again. Are you off your meds again? Seriously, back on the Zoloft for you. Also, please head back to 2nd grade for reading comprehension.

Gee you got me there. So you're telling me you didn't go around whining about schools who claim karate when they're really TKD yet you come from a system that claims 3 different styles? I've also noticed that you now claim TKD. Was this before or after your ignorant inital posts? Either way this makes you either uneducated, ignorant, and/or a hypocrite. Only meds I take are asprin when dealing with little pieces of **** like you. :bduh:

I guess this is the where you tell me you're going to be manipulating the situation and that I'm just playing the game you set up for me. Hey what happened to you teaching? Did everybody find out you're just a retard who's been living with his mother for the past few years?

Unlike Sam you're a poor excuse to be vouching for anybody. In other words you're doing more harm than good vouching for the Villari System. You've only showed ignorance when talking about the martial arts so why don't you just go on your merry way and leave the serioius talk to the adults?
    Last edited by Omega; 7/01/2005 9:34am at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/01/2005 9:39am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been doing MA for 14 years and have had exposure to a variety of arts (SKK, American Kenpo, Aikido, TKD, Shaolin Northern Long Fist), and I can say that I find SKK to be the one that best fits me. If you have any questions about what SKK is supposed to be like, I'll do my best to answer them.
    Arrogant much? You make the assumption we need you to point out what we already know. I've got over 12 years of MA experiance on you kid with a lot more variety to my name. I've been around the system and actually know quite a few higher ranking SKK blackbelts. Do us a favor go back to a board that's more of a mutal appreciation society. This is Bullshido and I'm calling your bullshit for the second time.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast