Administrator

Posted On:
    6/30/2005 10:13am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'd like to say thank you to one of our sponsors;

I know we don't actually go out and pick our sponsors and we shoudln't make fun of them but can anybody say irony?

http://www.villari.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

:new_alien

Posted On:
    6/30/2005 10:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, fred still around ???
    Damn !

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/30/2005 10:14am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    6/30/2005 10:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, just wow, I think my brain exploded while reading that.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/30/2005 10:20am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn, all I need to become a balck belt in "shaolin kempo karate" is to watch a few videos? Screw this 10 year BJJ program!

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/30/2005 10:30am

supporting member
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a swarm of Villari centers near me (one less than a mile) and I've always been tempted to visit and post on their, um, practices.
    I dork harder than any of you can imagine.

- Hedgehoney

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2005 11:28am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "How can I test?

Simply record yourself performing the movements for the level that you are testing for and send in the tape. You will receive a certificate and belt based on your achievement."

Thats what Im talking about! Blackbelt without having to leave your house.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2005 2:40pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by afronaut
    There's a swarm of Villari centers near me (one less than a mile) and I've always been tempted to visit and post on their, um, practices.
    I think it's pretty much been established that Fred and his SKK are full of **** - as Ronin may be hinting. I remember the topic vaguely from some of the threads here.

I live right down the street from one of their schools. I've heard it's bullshido from a training friend of mine, but never actually tried it myself. Three years ago, I talked to some rotund instructor over there and concluded that I didn't even want a trial lesson. They almost had a ninja vibe going on with all the black gi's. Anyway, my friend's account was that one of the instructors was berating kickboxing and how it's only for show, laff. :guitar:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2005 3:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by albert
    I think it's pretty much been established that Fred and his SKK are full of **** - as Ronin may be hinting. I remember the topic vaguely from some of the threads here.

I live right down the street from one of their schools. I've heard it's bullshido from a training friend of mine, but never actually tried it myself. Three years ago, I talked to some rotund instructor over there and concluded that I didn't even want a trial lesson. They almost had a ninja vibe going on with all the black gi's. Anyway, my friend's account was that one of the instructors was berating kickboxing and how it's only for show, laff. :guitar:

I've never met GM Villari, but everyone I know who's ever worked with him (including some people who left his org under very bad circumstances) says that he's an amazing martial artist. His business dealings,... well, that's a topic for another time (don't get me started on the videos).

SKK is, in my opinion, a good art when properly taught. You're supposed to learn stand up and ground work. You're supposed to find what works for you and use it. The problem comes with the fact that it is really easy to McDojo the art. Just teach people to walk through the forms, and the combinations and give them a belt. I've seen some schools that supposedly teach SKK, and while all of the material is the same, they do no ground work, barely spar, and don't work against resistance.

I've been doing MA for 14 years and have had exposure to a variety of arts (SKK, American Kenpo, Aikido, TKD, Shaolin Northern Long Fist), and I can say that I find SKK to be the one that best fits me. If you have any questions about what SKK is supposed to be like, I'll do my best to answer them.

Sardonic or Sarcastic?

Posted On:
    6/30/2005 3:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Filipino Kun Tao, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a Villari school about 1 mile from my house. I've sat in the back of my truck drinking a beer and watching through the window a couple of times but nobody from the school has ever come out while I was there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    I would so do Buttsecks.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast