Page 2 of 9 First 123456 ... Last
  1. #11
    Chupacabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,397
    Style
    5AF & Sub Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    mixing martial arts is like a broken language

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    20,890
    Style
    Shi Ja Quan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupacabra
    mixing martial arts is like a broken language

    Well, like I said, the jury is still out.
    On one hand, the learning curve is less, you are learnign to punch, kick, throw and grapple from day 1, on the other hand, its debatable wether you are getting the quality instruction that you would get from a "specialised" school.

    We will see what the future holds...

  3. #13
    Chupacabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,397
    Style
    5AF & Sub Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, like I said, the jury is still out.
    On one hand, the learning curve is less, you are learnign to punch, kick, throw and grapple from day 1, on the other hand, its debatable wether you are getting the quality instruction that you would get from a "specialised" school.

    We will see what the future holds...
    Nah man I'm telling you, the guy that manages one of the gyms my wife works at told me so. mixing martial arts is like speaking a broken language.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    20,890
    Style
    Shi Ja Quan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupacabra
    Nah man I'm telling you, the guy that manages one of the gyms my wife works at told me so. mixing martial arts is like speaking a broken language.

    Well then, if someone told you, it must be true.

    :qpepsi:

  5. #15
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,811
    Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMcFu
    You ask some painfully obvious questions Hannibal.



    Kyohushkai + Judo = Good

    Kyokushin + Judo = Daido Juku (better than good)

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    89
    Style
    MT,bJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BatRonin
    Well then, if someone told you, it must be true.

    :qpepsi:
    I attend three different schools and have four different teachers.

    1.) I attend a MMA school (teaches the standard MT, BJJ, Wrestling and boxing).
    2.) I attend a boxing gym
    3.) At the boxing gym they have BJJ classes.
    4.) Everynow and then I go to a TKD/Kung Fu school.

    I've been doing this for about three months and my game in MMA has really improved by doing this but this could also be because I spend about 12-16 hours per week doing martial arts that contain a lot I mean A LOT of sparring. But when I go to the TKD/Kung Fu school...I really suck at forms..but it's OK cause I can beat everyone down : )

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,660
    Style
    Judo & Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupacabra
    mixing martial arts is like a broken language
    It's an interesting question. On the one hand, every style has things that work and things that don't. Typically when styles are combined, the ineffective techniques are weeded out, which seems like a good thing.

    However, on the other hand, what's ineffective for one person might be effective for another. Whose to say that some techniques that were weeded out might have been your bread and butter? Just because one technique might be a low percentage technique, doesn't mean that you wouldn't have been one of the few who could nail it.

    What's always worked best for me in competition, and I think most judoka would agree, is that you choose a few techniques that inherently work well for you and perfect them. And it would seem that having more to choose from would be better. This assumes of course that you have chosen an effective art and are willing to devote years of intense training.

    However, if the person is just looking to learn a little self defense and is unwilling to devote years to competitive training, then perhaps it's better to have the low percentage techniques already weeded out.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    227
    Style
    Russian boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Bruce Lee's JKD philosophy but at the same time, I disagree with it. Cross-training is good--it seems to be the rage these days and rightly so--but that does not mean a technique should be discarded because it did not work effectively the first time for an individual. (Besides, where's the discipline and challenge in avoiding a difficult technique and sticking to the relatively simpler ones?). I believe mastering a technique you had problems with ALLOWS you to better understand your body than to simply avoid it.

  9. #19
    patfromlogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Hilo Island of Hawaii
    Posts
    8,902
    Style
    Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Training modern dance helped my kicks.

    I've trained in four different schools this year.

    And I suck at all of them.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    20,890
    Style
    Shi Ja Quan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are 2 schools of thought:

    1) Train in ONE system and get very good at it and THEN branch out
    2) Mix everything from the start

    Both have their pros and cons.

Page 2 of 9 First 123456 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO