Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2005 6:22pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Jim Kelly: Old School Bullshido Master

For those of you that don’t recognize the name Jim Kelly right away, recall the classic martial arts epic “Enter the Dragon”. Remember the jive-talkin’ black martial artist with the giant afro? That’s Jim Kelly. Jim Kelly is both an accomplished actor and martial artist. It is however, a little known fact that in addition to the aforementioned, he is also a bullshido master.

The following article was written by myself. The Jim Kelly quotes are from “Black Belt Magazine, Dec. 1975.”

Jim Kelly got some major recognition in movies and martial arts community when he stared with Bruce Lee in “Enter the Dragon,” but Kelly was not happy that he was offed so early in the film and had plans to take over the martial arts movie scene, and soon the entire box-office.

Jim Kelly: “After this year, I will be the No. 1 black star, and in three years, I’ll be the No. 1 worldwide box-office champion-black or white….I used karate as a stepping stone to get on the screen. I used it to get in the front door, and now I just get better in each film.”

Kelly stared in “Black Belt Jones” after “Enter the Dragon” in hopes of gaining star recognition and paving the way to becoming the best actor ever. The film flopped and so did Kelly’s movie career.

On set with “Black Belt Jones,” Kelly claims to have been too good a fighter for even the professional stuntmen in the film “I split one guy’s skull and broke up another guy’s face because they were ‘unqualified’ to fight me.”

Back in the 70’s, Kelly also believed that he was the best fighter in the world, and even went so far as to challenge former heavy weight boxing champ, Joe Frazier. “I think I’m the baddest dude in the world and that no one can beat me…I could beat Frazier, Ali, and George Foreman all in one night.”

Back in the day, Kelly even taught martial arts himself. “I get a minimum of $100 an hour to teach ‘The Jim Kelly Method,’ and I only teach guys who are black belts. I teach unorthodox karate combinations of all fighting methods. Belts don’t mean a thing to me. I don’t even wear my belt.” Note that this was the 1970’s so $100 an hour is even more then it seems at a glance. Also note how Kelly contradicts himself by saying that belts are worthless to him, yet he’ll only teach you if you’re a black belt.

On the plus side, Kelly was in fact mostly talk and both him and his bullshido faded away with the 1970’s martial arts craze.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/27/2005 6:26pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is Jim Kelly gonna have to choke a bitch?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2005 7:12pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He'll never notice...he'll be too busy lookin goooooood.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2005 9:01pm

Style: JKD , Spirit Fingers

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, he is right out of a comic book.......

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2005 6:37am

Style: Isshinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Brutha could take on two cats at once! He's one bad mofo. :adora:

Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    6/28/2005 6:43am

supporting member
     Style: American Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I liked him better when he was a quarterback.

"There is no such thing as a bisexual man. If you like dick, you're gay."

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    6/28/2005 6:52am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nathan,

It was the seventies. It would be hard to find pple who didn't have a bullshido veiw on MA. Pple used to think all the guys the became Bruce Li, Ley, Le, etc were as good with they're flailing arm Kung Fu. But you got to love a move with lines like, "HE THREW HIS PANTIES IN MY FACE!" during a car chase.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    6/28/2005 7:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jim Kelly was one bad mother...
    SHUT YOUR MOUTH !!!
    But I'm talking about Kelly !

Check out his cameo in Undercover Brother.

To the Bat Pole!

Posted On:
    6/28/2005 7:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bull-****, Mr Bat Man!
    Mr Politically Correct GIJoe6186:
    Fat people disgust me in every way imaginable. I was at Freindly's with my girl tonight and saw a bunch of fat fuckers. I felt sorry for the pavement they were killing and the people who had to see them. .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2005 8:41am

Style: MT,bJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan McScary
    For those of you that don’t recognize the name Jim Kelly right away, recall the classic martial arts epic “Enter the Dragon”. Remember the jive-talkin’ black martial artist with the giant afro? That’s Jim Kelly. Jim Kelly is both an accomplished actor and martial artist. It is however, a little known fact that in addition to the aforementioned, he is also a bullshido master.

The following article was written by myself. The Jim Kelly quotes are from “Black Belt Magazine, Dec. 1975.”

Jim Kelly got some major recognition in movies and martial arts community when he stared with Bruce Lee in “Enter the Dragon,” but Kelly was not happy that he was offed so early in the film and had plans to take over the martial arts movie scene, and soon the entire box-office.

Jim Kelly: “After this year, I will be the No. 1 black star, and in three years, I’ll be the No. 1 worldwide box-office champion-black or white….I used karate as a stepping stone to get on the screen. I used it to get in the front door, and now I just get better in each film.”

Kelly stared in “Black Belt Jones” after “Enter the Dragon” in hopes of gaining star recognition and paving the way to becoming the best actor ever. The film flopped and so did Kelly’s movie career.

On set with “Black Belt Jones,” Kelly claims to have been too good a fighter for even the professional stuntmen in the film “I split one guy’s skull and broke up another guy’s face because they were ‘unqualified’ to fight me.”

Back in the 70’s, Kelly also believed that he was the best fighter in the world, and even went so far as to challenge former heavy weight boxing champ, Joe Frazier. “I think I’m the baddest dude in the world and that no one can beat me…I could beat Frazier, Ali, and George Foreman all in one night.”

Back in the day, Kelly even taught martial arts himself. “I get a minimum of $100 an hour to teach ‘The Jim Kelly Method,’ and I only teach guys who are black belts. I teach unorthodox karate combinations of all fighting methods. Belts don’t mean a thing to me. I don’t even wear my belt.” Note that this was the 1970’s so $100 an hour is even more then it seems at a glance. Also note how Kelly contradicts himself by saying that belts are worthless to him, yet he’ll only teach you if you’re a black belt.

On the plus side, Kelly was in fact mostly talk and both him and his bullshido faded away with the 1970’s martial arts craze.
    He was an actor..
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast