Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 12:53am

Style: JJJ/TSD/MT/BJJ/TLA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weird coincidence... I searched for Larry Wick threads earlier today and now this one crops up again.

I've never studied SSS with Larry, though I met him when he came down for TSD regionals, and my instructor has done a little SSS. Not much, by any means.

The only technical thing I've learned about SSS is a big emphasis on relaxation and nontelegraphing from a static position. I know there are dynamic practices, but I don't know their theory or how they're conducted.

Basically, what I was shown was just relaxed, sudden movements to get out of the line of the gun's fire or to get the knife out of contact with your body without getting cut. Revolutionary? Not really, though it works well enough under those specific static circumstances.

But again, my instructor doesn't know much of SSS, and I know even less. We do have three of Wick's DVDs in the dojang library, so if there's still interest, I could watch them and let people know what I find.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 11:08am

Style: BJJ, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The guy is a lunatic, but when he was talking about grappling I share some of that concern, while not all of it.

In BJJ whenever some guy who grossly outweighs me is on top of me its generally pretty shitty a situation. I'm by no means great at bjj, but it really sucks to have some huge guy on top of you crushing the air out of you. Grappling concerns me a lot in a *street* altercation (side note, saying street seems to be a bad word on this website) because a lot of time you do have to deal with some assholes 1 or 2 friends.

When it comes to things like that I dont think grappling is a viable solution to dealing with more then 1 person. I think there is a place in the world for militant israeli army techniques, as bogus as half of them are, there is a place for eye gouging, fish hooking, grab your esophogus and squeeze stomp on your testicles bite your face kind of things. Unfortunately its mainly talked about by a moron.

As far as guns and knives go martial arts in general dont seem to be the answer what so ever. The only answer seems to be more guns and more knives. knives are a scary thing, I've had a punk pull a knife on me an a friend of mine, and I sincerely doubt he had any intention to use it, but you just cant **** around with that kind of situation. Which is why I carry BIAB. Or Brock In A Box. Kind of like a viscious derranged pokemon I can let loose and take the damage for me.
    Last edited by Vulgar42Ox; 2/08/2008 11:11am at .

Posted On:
    2/09/2008 2:23am

supporting memberhall of fame
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgar42Ox
    When it comes to things like that I dont think grappling is a viable solution to dealing with more then 1 person.
    Maybe not, but it works pretty good when dealing with one person. But here is the deal, if a style, person, etc, cant reliably defeat one person under a controlled situation then why should we believe that they can defeat multiple attackers with no rules?

there is a place for eye gouging, fish hooking, grab your esophogus and squeeze stomp on your testicles bite your face kind of things.
    I have to agree, fight as dirty as you have too. In all honesty, I have learned some **** from the TMA "street style" martial arts I have done. It makes you contemplate things that do not happen/could not happen in sport style martial arts.

As far as guns and knives go martial arts in general don't seem to be the answer what so ever....knives are a scary thing,
    Dam right knives are scary, its like sparing, but if you get hit once you get a four inch stick of steel inserted into your body.

(side note, saying street seems to be a bad word on this website)
    That is because it is used as a rhetorical dodge by a lot of people who don't spar, are out of shape, and think that two months of MA training allows then to defeat a bar room full or attackers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2008 11:15am

Style: BJJ, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    Keep in mind, that rule is for using deadly force (you are in fear for your life) and not necessarily other self defense. In order to justify using lethal force, you have to show that you are afraid the other guy is going to kill you. You can't prove that unless you can show he has the means, opportunity and intent. So "means" is not what he can do to harm you, it's whether or not he has the means to kill you.
    I have a question Matt. For use of lethal force, if your attacker has a knife can you assume lethal force is necessary?

Or if you are being assaulted badly, what kind of injuries do you have to sustain, in order for a court to justify your use of lethal force?

edit: how do you prove he had a knife? do the police have to come and find it in his hand? do you need a stab wound?
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910