...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    6/26/2005 6:17pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

howstuffworks.com on karate

During my drunken websurfing, I entered a query for "80s ninjas" on Google. The search eventually lead me to the howstuffworks.com entry for "karate", which I found to be very quaint.

http://people.howstuffworks.com/karate.htm

To the untrained observer, karate skills can seem like magical superpowers. Using only her body, a 5-foot 5-inch tall, 120-pound karate master can take down a 6-foot, 200-pound man in a matter of seconds. In strength and sheer bulk, the man has the upper hand by a considerable margin. But somehow, the karate master prevails with a few elegant punches and kicks. Using the same set of skills, advanced karate students can break thick bricks and boards with their bare hands and feet. How is all this possible?
    It is impossible to sum up this ancient, transcendental discipline in a short article, but we can get a handle on some of the underlying principles. Though its execution is highly complex, the root of karate is fairly straight-forward: By applying physical, mental and spiritual force intelligently and precisely, you can realize the maximum potential of your strength.

Ahhh, this alone is enough to make my drunken haze sink into some kind of diorama of the 80s.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/26/2005 6:21pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never thought I'd see the day when www.howstuffworks.com would fail me... :(

PL

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    6/26/2005 6:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    > To the untrained observer, karate skills can seem like magical superpowers.<

hahahahahahahaha fucking hell. With magical superpowers, maybe you can make karate not look shitty
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    6/26/2005 6:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, some good information there.

"Karatekas generally credit the creation of modern karate to Funakoshi Gichin's son, Funakoshi Yoshitaka. While his father practiced full contact karate, where fighters delivered unchecked blows, Yoshitaka believed in a more peaceful application of the fighting principles. In this form, properly called karate-do, or "karate way," karate is seen as an all encompassing approach to life, rather than only a system for combat. Karatekas curb their punches, concentrating mainly on physical, spiritual and mental development rather than competition."

Thanks, fucker.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/26/2005 7:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been in the shits with some suitably mild, but constantly annoying, respiratory trouble the last couple of weeks, so I resolved to maybe work some cardio to clean out the lungs this morning.

Sunday morning, couldn't be later than 10am and I come into the campus matroom to warmup and strech. Seriously, it's been nothing but weirdos there since spring quarter ended. So there's this 20-something chick in full gi uniform thingie and a nice clean brown belt stomping around with a big stick. I ask if there's a class or something seeing as she's all dolled up and she says no, but is very standoff-ish, so I say I'll come back later and she then realizes what a bitch she's being and says it's no problem, but that I should 'watchout/keep my distance' or some bullshit. Then she procedes to stamping around with her wood and kai-ing the entire time I bridge, stretch etc.

WTF IS WITH THE STOMPING

Goddamit, stupid bitch was probably watching me do my silly 'sloppy' bridging and rolling, totally convinced that she could ruin my **** in a couple 'lethal' moves. How do I know that? I don't, but she totally had that attitude. Bitch.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/26/2005 7:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and then some

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wrote them a letter and told them to pull that stupid article until they had a well-researched replacement.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    6/26/2005 7:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How far did you guys get readind the arcticle?Because it get's more painful the further you read.Trust me.

In a karate competition, both karatekas concentrate on guarding themselves against attack while waiting for an opening in their opponent's defenses. Often, a karateka can land a successful hit immediately after deflecting the opponent's attack, as this is when the opponent is most vulnerable. A lot of karate is based on paying attention to what's going on around you, so you can recognize an opportunity when it arises.
    And then there is this ruby of a statement.

These days, karate is taught primarily as sport, not as a means of combat. Karatekas have several ways of demonstrating their skill without actually hurting another person.
    When I read this one I just said "Oh,****!"There actually informing people this is the right way of learning a Martial Art.

More advanced karatekas may engage in kumite, a sort of freestyle sparring. In this activity, you fight with another karateka, but curb your punches. Typically, especially in the lower levels, karatekas will stop a few inches short of actually touching their opponent with a blow. Karatekas may also put on protective pads. Certain areas (below the belt, for example) are off limits.
    This actually turns out to be a plug for a local school in Raleigh,N.C.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    6/26/2005 8:49pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by beka
    I wrote them a letter and told them to pull that stupid article until they had a well-researched replacement.
    Sadly, I'll bet it goes whizzing over the heads of the staff.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2005 9:08pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More advanced karatekas may engage in kumite, a sort of freestyle sparring. In this activity, you fight with another karateka, but curb your punches. Typically, especially in the lower levels, karatekas will stop a few inches short of actually touching their opponent with a blow.

Hmm, I recall getting kicked in the temple as a 9th or 8th kyu. Everything is a bit hazy from there, but I remember getting told, "Keep your guard up, dumbass".

Kyokushin. The antithesis of crappy karate everywhere.

Posted On:
    6/26/2005 9:21pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed.
    I recently visited a friends Karate school and was disappointed to find... 80% of the class was comprised of skinny teenage black belts who had no idea what they were doing... Sadly I haven't heard of and KK schools in my area.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast