218358 Bullies, 8195 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 161 to 170 of 173
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 71314151617 18 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Dsimon3387 is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    3,079

    Posted On:
    8/04/2009 9:40pm

    Join us... or die
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    fug, did you ever do much tournament fighting?

    Dsimon - are there any videos which demonstrate what you're talking about?

    my knees were actually harmed by TKD, not anything i've studied since. if anything, they've got slightly better since changing MA. snapping and jerking limbs into thin air as hard and fast as i could at 18 probably did more harm than anything since.

    BJJ has possibly hurt my neck, it creaks a little. it's gotten a lot thicker though. used to have a pretty skinny neck.
    No online won't really help much. BJJ is structurally sound, the karate is murder on the bod... I escaped a lot of shitty stuff but my feet and hands are pretty knarly from our Okinawan stuff.

    If you feel better and stronger than just concentrate on moving efficiently, the Tai Jutsu is great for that provided you have a good teacher. Or, feldenkriz the Israelly therapy is also wonderful. Doran Navon one of the Buj's best used to give seminars on feldenkriz stuff and tai jutsu and he pribably has saved my body from irreversable damage... Find a good feldenkris worker to help you with movement.

    Its a bit to get into how... if you find somoene let them explain the concept... it is sound to say the least and not idealistic like most therapise of this nature are.
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

    The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.
  2. creativo is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    383

    Posted On:
    8/05/2009 12:48am


     Style: Judofitness

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo since 20, now 33, no big training injuries except fucking my toes. Too bad I discovered snowboarding when I was no longer made of rubber, destroyed a shoulder and later snapped a wrist, so lately I had to dial the training back a bit.

    DSimon: Feldenkrais was a Judo guy. /brag
  3. danno is offline
    danno's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Shoalhaven, Australia
    Posts
    3,155

    Posted On:
    8/05/2009 12:53am

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsimon3387 View Post
    No online won't really help much. BJJ is structurally sound, the karate is murder on the bod... I escaped a lot of shitty stuff but my feet and hands are pretty knarly from our Okinawan stuff.

    If you feel better and stronger than just concentrate on moving efficiently, the Tai Jutsu is great for that provided you have a good teacher. Or, feldenkriz the Israelly therapy is also wonderful. Doran Navon one of the Buj's best used to give seminars on feldenkriz stuff and tai jutsu and he pribably has saved my body from irreversable damage... Find a good feldenkris worker to help you with movement.

    Its a bit to get into how... if you find somoene let them explain the concept... it is sound to say the least and not idealistic like most therapise of this nature are.
    i wouldn't try to learn something like that off the internet, i'm more interested in seeing a video of what you're talking about, if possible. i'd like to see this kind of movement that apparently is better for your joints. if there aren't any good examples in video, that's fine.
  4. Dsimon3387 is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    3,079

    Posted On:
    8/05/2009 1:04pm

    Join us... or die
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    i wouldn't try to learn something like that off the internet, i'm more interested in seeing a video of what you're talking about, if possible. i'd like to see this kind of movement that apparently is better for your joints. if there aren't any good examples in video, that's fine.
    Most of the buj basics one sees are an example. Keep in mind that in reality the Sanchin (you can google and utobe the sanchin) are all about learning to move properly. I often joke with people that the Sanchin teach you to walk... to step by putting one foot foward in front of the other.

    The point being that the Sanchin particularly and to some extent the Kihon teach one foundational movement skills that use the whole body. I won't go into the relationship of these skills and combat except to say that Booj teachers who think one fights with the Sanchin and Kihon deserve the wrath of Bullshido.
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

    The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.
  5. Dsimon3387 is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    3,079

    Posted On:
    8/05/2009 1:08pm

    Join us... or die
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by creativo View Post
    Judo since 20, now 33, no big training injuries except fucking my toes. Too bad I discovered snowboarding when I was no longer made of rubber, destroyed a shoulder and later snapped a wrist, so lately I had to dial the training back a bit.

    DSimon: Feldenkrais was a Judo guy. /brag
    that does not suprise me. Hatsumi and Doran were also Judo guys and judo seems to be an art that has elements in it that allow one to **** up their joints with weight bearing twisting and falling hard, also has elements which teach strong movements that can protect the body when doing these things... Karate by contrast does not have any movements that protect the body this way... only movements that make the body conditioned and that destroy the body.
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

    The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.
  6. johnevans is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    214

    Posted On:
    8/05/2009 3:13pm


     Style: Bas Rutten tapes

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started TKD at 16. Took a big break from martial arts. I'm 24 now.
  7. jeff5 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NW burbs of Chicago
    Posts
    133

    Posted On:
    8/05/2009 3:21pm


     Style: KunTao & Kettlebells

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    11 and 36. I haven't practiced all the way through for 25 years though. It's been a start, stop thing, in various arts.

    No real major injuries related to Martial Arts. My right elbow is extremely sensitive (tendonitis, supposedly related to using a computer a lot...), so I tap easy on arm bars =P. My left knee is..sensitive. I just saw a physical therapist and he recommended some stuff. Going to follow that for a month and if it doens't get better go and see an ortho.

    Other than that, just general soreness and stiffness that comes with age =).

    My goal is to be in this for the long haul. My dad is 73 and can still bike ride 50+ miles, ski, and is in great shape. That's my goal. If it means a slower progression in MA and fitness, then so be it. I don't want to be 60 years old and crippled. (and God willing I won't be..)
    Last edited by jeff5; 8/05/2009 3:31pm at .
  8. marcusdbrutus is offline
    marcusdbrutus's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast Canada
    Posts
    1,565

    Posted On:
    8/05/2009 3:27pm


     Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started Judo at 18, but I've been boxing since birth. It's a quality of my hometown.

    25 now.
  9. 73h r341 h3x is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    73

    Posted On:
    8/06/2009 7:06am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tai chi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    started at karate at 8, and im 18 now doing bujinkan, systema n a bit of tai chi
    Last edited by 73h r341 h3x; 8/06/2009 7:11am at .
  10. Dsimon3387 is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    3,079

    Posted On:
    8/06/2009 12:04pm

    Join us... or die
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 73h r341 h3x View Post
    started at karate at 8, and im 18 now doing bujinkan, systema n a bit of tai chi
    Young man you are an interesting case haha. You have moved to "old man arts" at a relatively young age.

    Seriously though you have a few more years left where you can beat on people and get beat upon I hope you use them wisely. :toothy2:
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

    The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 71314151617 18 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.