8/04/2009 7:37am

Style: MT and judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo 9-13

Stopped due to illness.

McDojo Shotokan 15-17

Stopped due to boredom.

At this point I suspended training due to party commitments.

McDojo Sulkido for a few months while I was 23.

Stopped due to shoulder injury and realisation of rubbishness.

Muay thai last october to present (I'm 25).

Injury wise my knee is fucked, my neck somewhat fucked and my shoulder more fucked. Such is life.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 9:43am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A little boxing and wrestling at 10-11
    Goju-Ryy at 16
    JKD at 27

I will be 43 next week

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 10:23am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    wow, old thread.

a question for the older guys - after many years of training, how do you find your body is holding up? how are your joints?
    I was way better than the exfootball players and couch potatoes until I got near 60, then the injuries seemed to take longer to heal or get more intense. So I gotta use my brain and back off some, I guess.
    I think you need some practice, be it yoga, tai chi, karate, or whatever, but some well balanced physical habit. My brother was a runner and kept hurting his back - running without ab work is bad, imho, and I think that good mas are a very good way to stay in some type of shape as you age.

I was at the gym and was doing the seiza stretch where you kneel down and sit on your heels and lean back (I can still get pretty low, but some get their butts and back all the way down) and a trainer ran over and said don't do that, it will injure your knees. I said, OK, not wanting to get into it. But I have been doing that stretch for 40 years. Being able to kick over 6' cold is a benefit of ma, as is balance (I hope) and some level of body tone - it is fun to still do spinning hooks and backs at my advanced age (and tubbyness).
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 5:34pm

supporting member
     Style: .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Goju ryu at 15, Chidokwan at 19, back to Goju, break for 2 years, at 25 some boxing & judo on and off for a few years, another idiot-female-induced break, Danzan ryu JJ for a while and now I'm scouting judo/boxing clubs again. Oh, and that silly WMA stuff over the last 10 years or so.

I'm coming up on 43.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 5:41pm

Style: bum rush karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started watching MMA at 18.

Finally started the jits at 25. I'm 26 now.

I've been a gym rat since 16 or so.

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 7:50pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    my shoulders, knees and neck are feeling it. i'm hoping that i can keep this **** up until at least middle age though.
    Your going to hate me for saying this but I have to be honest with you.. you are a perfect candidate for the Bujinkan... you and Lebell.

The attention to movement and proper alignment would teach you to protect your injuries and to do techniqhe in such a way that you do not wreck your body... I am 46 and i could lose a few pounds and I still have no chronic **** like that enough that it stops my training. I credit Tia Jutsu with helping me learn to focus on movement.

You take about 8 years with a good Buj teacher and then when yu go back you do things properly from a movement perspective so you protect your body from those chronic conditions.
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 7:54pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell View Post
    im not that much older then you, 30 in early september.
    but im fucked, my knees are stiff, my lower back has given up, and my nose will never be the same again.
    still got great abs and pecs though.

rrr..where's a mirror in this damn house?
    Le bell do you get to Germany much? go to Stephan Frolich yes he is Booj but he can fight.. tell him one of victor tella's students told you about him (he loves victor one of my teachers) and he could help yu learn to protect your injuries youa e incurring... you need some tai Jutsu to train how to move so you do not wreck yourself! I went through the same process and the truth is you don;t have to stay with the booj forever but it helps this way... if you give it around 8 years.... even while training in other stuff.

Stephan is very good thats why I recommend him... you would see a Buj guy who can kick much ass... so you would probably like him.
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 8:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wrestling, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Joined the wrestling team when I was 14 then the Judo team after that. I'm 15 now.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 8:32pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    fug, did you ever do much tournament fighting?

Dsimon - are there any videos which demonstrate what you're talking about?

my knees were actually harmed by TKD, not anything i've studied since. if anything, they've got slightly better since changing MA. snapping and jerking limbs into thin air as hard and fast as i could at 18 probably did more harm than anything since.

BJJ has possibly hurt my neck, it creaks a little. it's gotten a lot thicker though. used to have a pretty skinny neck.

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 9:32pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KarelinLifter View Post
    Joined the wrestling team when I was 14 then the Judo team after that. I'm 15 now.
    Great job young man!