• 1)wristlock bad can train with them

15 30.00%
  • 2)wristlock bad can't train with them

1 2.00%
  • 3)wristlock good can train with them

27 54.00%
  • 4)wristlock good can't train with them

2 4.00%
  • I like sitting on the fence because it makes my buttocks feel funny.

5 10.00%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    7/05/2005 12:51pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Consider countering the defense to armbar. Your legs are wrapped around their arms but they are gripping their elbows tightly so you can't take their arm. You try to leverage with your forearm, kick and pull with your feat, and hugging and tugging but nothing can break their kung-fu grip. I would think this would be the perfect time for an aikido wristlock... And if I knew how to do them properly I might have a few more tap-outs to my name.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    7/05/2005 12:55pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh and if wristlocks are good enough for my lineage, they're good enough for me.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    7/05/2005 5:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wristlocks

.... well I have tried to apply wristlocks to fully resisting people . It usually doesnt end up at all the way I planned . I personaly have found that if you catch them offguard in the " fluffing up ", or "manning up" part of the conflict ,with the first push on your chest , or if they reach for you or an item your holding or hell even grabbing you , the wrist lock is a very very handy set of techniques . In other words , it makes it easier ( read "effective" here ) when they arent really expecting a fight and are just trying to bully or "strong arm rob" you .

Once the blows start though ... or if you miss their hand the first time ... chances of applying what you want start dropping rapidly ( atleast for me ) . I was taught never to just wrist lock ( any variation of it ) an opponant who is actually attacking you or trying to attack you . Wait till you already have an arm during or after a throw ,or after you get them thinking about other things besides grappling/beating you , then apply the lock and throw ..

If I manage a wrist lock standing up its becouse

a. my opponant sucks
    b. I fucked up an arm bar
    c. I managed a proper throw and had the sense to find a lock on the hand/wrist I held on to
    d. I had one of those Zen moments when I catch an arm and close in close before I am pounded with the other arm or either leg ....
    e. my opponant is drunk
    f. my opponant sucks
    g. its not a wrist lock ... but a sloppy ass arm bar
    h. I have stunned , confused, or hurt my opponant to the point that I have already won and happen to have one of their arms handy ....

but thats me and I am just a freaking n00b in this standup grappling range thingy ... I have seen wrist locks applied in the middle of some crazy fast paced medium to hard contact sparring ... but then again ... the guy applying the techniques had been doing Hapkido for like 16 years .... and His victim.... I mean sparring partner... was a black belt in TKD ... so I am not sure if thats a good example ... TKD as far as I have seen isnt to hot on the close up grappling range ...

other than that I think Meex and everyone else covered it .

Wrist locks are perfect in some situations but generaly useless in "the str33t " unless your well trained and completely familiar with their application .

:5bye:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2005 9:10pm

Style: Arnis, WC, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wristlocks work okay in stand up fighting if you do an armbar and use your body to push against the wrist.... this can work on someone significantly stronger than you (simply cos of use of the body onto the wrist. It might not sub them but it'll give them something to think about.. probably make them move their arm over so you can get an arm bar with shoulder lock.

they can work well against significantly weaker opponents from the standard grabbing the hand position (not a bad option if you are just trying to stop someone doing something silly) and can be used from a standard finger lock in that case too. [imagine you are giving some weak guy a hand shake and you grab his finger to break it (lift upwards), he pulls his hand away but doesnt get his hand loose, you then wristlock, if he moves his arm to avoid the wrist lock you go to an armbar, you then use your body on the wrist for the wristlock while doing the arm bar]. Like I said... not so good against people who are significantly stronger than you.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345