Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2005 12:28pm

Style: MT,bJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MMA Fight last night!!

Did anyone go to the International Cage Brawl in Birmingham, AL?!!?
    It was awesome. I've been to an MMA fight before..but this was off the hook!
    It makes a huge difference when you see guys getting in the ring that you train with on a DAILY basis. Especially when your teacher steps in the ring. How many TMA students see their teacher get in the ring and put to use what they are teaching? I can barely talk my voice is so hoarse from yelling. Man, it was awesome.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2005 12:41pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never been to an MMA fight. How did your teacher do?

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    6/26/2005 2:47pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Details! We want details!
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    6/26/2005 2:55pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeh, it sure makes a big differance when you actually have someone in the ring to really cheer for.

Some of the guys from my gym (including my two muay thai instructors) had some MMA fights the other night in ST louis, We took 5 guys and they won all five fights in 5 minutes. 3 by KO, 2 by submission.

I sure agree with what you're sayin about TMA instructors pretty much never putting into use the stuff they teach, unless it's on their own students in the dojo.

How did yall do?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2005 5:37pm

Style: MT,bJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    Yeh, it sure makes a big differance when you actually have someone in the ring to really cheer for.

Some of the guys from my gym (including my two muay thai instructors) had some MMA fights the other night in ST louis, We took 5 guys and they won all five fights in 5 minutes. 3 by KO, 2 by submission.

I sure agree with what you're sayin about TMA instructors pretty much never putting into use the stuff they teach, unless it's on their own students in the dojo.

How did yall do?
    We did pretty good overall. Not as many fought from my school as originally planned. Honestly, I think everyone from my school (including myself) should have fought. I mean it's not as bad as everyone thinks (when you have a good ref) and it really boosted my confidence about getting in the ring after seeing guys I train/spar with on regular basis being successful in the ring.

The first fight was my boy Joey versus some other guy. This was the 145 lbs division. I think Joey is about 5'5" or so and the other guy was about 6'. Joey did great. He managed to escape the triangle a few times then finally he was swept and was taken into a high mount. His oponent got about three hits in then the ref called the fight. (once again, the ref was excellent, it was Skip Hall "the world's oldest MMA competitor." He's sixty years old and in phenomenal shape. He also judged several UFCs (including Rutten v Randleman).

Second fight, was a guy from the Hardcore Gym (the gym Forrest Griffin is from, I think) and someother guy. I forgot which one was which but this fight ended in the first round via triangle.

Third fight was my man Greg Jeffco. He's an awesome wrestler, he weighed in at 205 (pure steel) and his opponent was a strong but slightly heavy 215. Greg dominated the fight escaping the gullotine a few times and employing an impressive ground and pound. (I was right outside the cage and I could hear/feel the shots Greg was dealing to his opponents body.)

Then my girlfriend called she was having car trouble aka ran out of gas. So, I had to chose between seeing my teacher fight or leaving my beautiful, naive girlfriend on the side of the road. So, I have no clue as to how my teacher did. I'm looking forward to finding out the result.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2005 6:44pm

Style: Pugilism

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ahh the mandatory TMA pot shot!

Anyways, I went to one last night in Mass.

I saw J Lau there and shook his hand, he looked at me weird since he has no idea who I am but I just let him know I respect him gettin in the ring and told him I was a fan of what he's doing.

A friends father fought last night. Completely dominated the match with ground work, but ended up having to settle for a decision.

It is without a doubt a whole different ballgame when you've got someone in the ring.

An exciting night to say the least.

Keep on keepin' on.

Professional Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    6/26/2005 7:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Pro-Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=Literati]ahh the mandatory TMA pot shot!

Anyways, I went to one last night in Mass.

I saw J Lau there and shook his hand,

I would suggest you immediatly treat that hand with lamisil.

UFC Fighter

Posted On:
    6/26/2005 9:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA, No-Gi Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Literati
    I saw J Lau there and shook his hand, he looked at me weird since he has no idea who I am but I just let him know I respect him gettin in the ring and told him I was a fan of what he's doing.
    I remember you. My buddy Jim asked "What was that?", and I was like, "He asked if I was J-Lau and wanted to shake my hand, I think he is from Bullshido". Not a lot of people call me J-Lau... and they usually say it like my last name... "Low-zawn", so its more like "Jay-Low". Cool none the less. Was nice meeting you.

Were you there for Elias?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2005 9:31pm

Style: Pugilism

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Lau
    I remember you. My buddy Jim asked "What was that?", and I was like, "He asked if I was J-Lau and wanted to shake my hand, I think he is from Bullshido". Not a lot of people call me J-Lau... and they usually say it like my last name... "Low-zawn", so its more like "Jay-Low". Cool none the less.
    Yea I figured I'd just say "J Law" since I have no idea what people called you and it really wasn't an appropriate time to stand around explaining why, or that I ran across you on Bullshido a few times etc.

Were you there for Elias?
    Yea.

Was nice meeting you.
    Thanks, same here. I'll probably see you around some other time.

I'm from Ct so I can't always make it out to catch all the events out there.