Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2005 4:08am

Style: muay thai, kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Eric Li wing chun

:evil6: Has anyone trained with this teacher in Vancouver. I have been looking around Van. for some wing chun, this guy has a good rep. so I went and checked it out. I dont know what 2 think??/ he may be good at wing chun but I cant see it working on the street?? any vancouver wing chun people here??

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    6/24/2005 4:32am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    run or die

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    6/24/2005 5:26am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to do Wing Chun. Whether or not you should take it up depends on what you expect to get from it. What are you looking for in a martial art, and why does Wing Chun in particular interest you ?
    Last edited by Cullion; 6/24/2005 5:27am at . Reason: typo

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    6/24/2005 5:30am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Note: I have met some Wing Chun people who IMHO could fight convincingly, but they usually either had extensive training in something more mainstream (like Kickboxing or Jujitsu) or were naturally tough and atheletic people who could probably have made most martial arts work for them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2005 4:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guest what i am looking for is the traditional forms mixed with reality training. Defence against boxing, kicks, jui jitsu. Wing chun as the core but also using what ever works also!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2005 4:46pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcca
    I guest what i am looking for is the traditional forms mixed with reality training. Defence against boxing, kicks, jui jitsu. Wing chun as the core but also using what ever works also!
    I tried Wing Chun/Tsun at a couple of places in Vancouver and found that it wasn't a good system for me. I found the footwork very awkward and unnatural, and also that the techniques required more precision than I would realistically be able to pull off in an actual fight.

That being said, there are two local instructors that I thought were very good at what they did, even if the style itself wasn't for me.

Fred Kwok teaches at Hastings and Commercial, and has a very basic website at http://www.tigerwingchun.com/ . He teaches WC and kickboxing, and sometimes trains fighters for the ring (see pics of one of his fighters in action at: http://www.sashalakovic.com/images/g.../fightpics.htm )

Ralph Haenel teaches somewhere up around Victoria and 49th, and has a website at: http://www.wingtsunkungfu.com/ . The website is kind of heavy on the "McDojo" marketing, but he's actually a good instructor and quite a nice guy.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/24/2005 5:38pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you just say Wing Chun?

*salivates*

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2005 11:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ya i have heard good things about Ralph, but his web site is so McDojo that I have avoided checking him out??

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    6/24/2005 11:09pm

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why not learn to box, kickbox or grapple? The only way to defend against something is to understand how to use it offensively. Can't defend against a knife if you can't use one.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2005 12:36am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ya i have heard good things about Ralph, but his web site is so McDojo that I have avoided checking him out??
    As I said, Wing Chun didn't really work for me, and I don't really recommend it to people as a practical self defense system, but if you're really interested in it both Ralph or Fred Kwok teach far better versions of it than what I've seen elsewhere in Vancouver. I think the weirdness with Ralph's website is partly 'cultural' (he grew up in east Germany during the communist era) and partly comes from his long involvement in the German "Wing Tsun" organisation, which is pretty extreme in terms of taking a "McDojo," multi-level marketing type approach to running their organisation. As far as I know, he's not affiliated with them anymore.

Fred Kwok's place also teaches kickboxing 2 nights a week, which is a way better workout than Wing Chun and definitely more practical and straightforward to learn in the short term. You pay one price for both the kickboxing and WC classes. If you go there, you'll spend a lot of time on the heavy bag and eventually work your way up to full contact sparring if you stick with the kickboxing long enough. He has a really spacious facility, with lots of heavy bags, a boxing ring, etc.

There's also a Muay Thai class taught in Fred Kwok's gym by a Thai trainer named Songlith Singthong that looks quite good. If you're interested, the Muay Thai classes run 6-7:30pm Monday to Friday.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast