Sponsored Links Spacer Image

rawr

Posted On:
    6/23/2005 9:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Mushin Dao, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It always sucks when good training degrades into crap.
    I think it was two ninjas taped together, to make one GIANT NINJA!!!!

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    6/23/2005 9:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to hear you were in a Tang Soo Do mcdojo. Get out fast. I've been in Soo Bahk Do and I see mcdojoism in many of the federation's schools too. I think TSD in general is going down the same road as kiddy karate fast.

Hope some of us can turn it around....

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/23/2005 9:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kistrael
    The main problem with this whole situation, I think, is myself and my aversion to burning bridges.
    That's a different story and I totally understand where you're coming from.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2005 9:51pm

Style: none currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually was involved in something like this once. The thing is, I was 17 when they pressured me into signing without a guardian present so there wasn't a way to take me to court when I stopped sending checks two months later. I did get some annoying phone calls but my credit wasn't affected by the incident. I'm not sure if it's the fact that the contract wasn't legally binding, or just that they don't actually have a good way of collecting...
    *note, the contract was signed and turned over to another company in FL where i was actually to send payments so it was the florida people that were calling my house for a couple months*

If they have muay thai techs in some manuals, then great! However, can you imagine the average non combat unit (which most navy units are) actually getting their fat butts into a ring and banging shins on a regular basis? Nuh uh. The only units I've ever served with were combat units and even those weren't hardcore enough about combatives to make everybody fight thai boxing style in a ring...
    I'm not a thai stylist but don't you actually have to spar thai style in order to call what you do thai boxing?

Posted On:
    6/23/2005 9:54pm

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much time is on your contract. From what I understand they are hard to break, and what they can do is send you to collections which could mess up your credit.
    "Its not important to be strong, its just important not to be weak."

Noob: Reloaded

Posted On:
    6/23/2005 10:01pm

supporting member
     Style: MT nub, Ex-Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    Sorry to hear you were in a Tang Soo Do mcdojo. Get out fast. I've been in Soo Bahk Do and I see mcdojoism in many of the federation's schools too. I think TSD in general is going down the same road as kiddy karate fast.

Hope some of us can turn it around....
    It was slightly mcdojoish when I got there. After the 4 years I've been there, it has become very mcdojoish. Hell, in a recently Black Belt mag, it has an article with my Master about running a dojo (I'm trying to find it to post, but no luck so far).

The class before ours is a kiddy class, which often runs 5 minutes late. They tell us to warm up before class, and I did by hitting the punchingbag. Then a few months ago, the teacher yells at us for disctacting the kids. I'm sorry, but they're fucking 6-7 years old. They can't GET any more distracted.

Another part of the conversation with my master had him telling me I was impatient and to learn the good stuff I had to wait until BB. I'm a pretty patient guy, I think, considering the duration of time I've been putting up with this crap. I don't see the logic behind staying there for 4 years until BB, JUST to get to the good stuff, when I could take a few styles in the same place that specialize in it.

Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    That's a different story and I totally understand where you're coming from.
    I don't really like the place anymore, and they don't have much to offer me, but for some reason I have this feeling I might miss it. I don't know why. I don't know if I'll ever want to go back some day (I have no idea why), but something just tugs at me.
    DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2005 10:12pm

Style: Pigeon toed bullshit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained under C.S. Kim's schools in PA when I was younger. I thought the instruction was excellent if you really wanted to try, but they'd let kids slide through with minimal effort to keep the money comin in alot....atleast they failed people ALOT for the black belt test. That seemed to be the cut off point for ppl who came in and just went through the motions and people who were serious about it. The only problem I had with it besides the rediculous blocks and hand techniques of TSD/TKD/and probobly karate, though I've never studied it, was a big lack of emphasis on sparring until red/black belt level. Then again, my teacher was trained directly by C.S. Kim and was one of his best friends/favorite students.

Posted On:
    6/23/2005 10:16pm

Style: Karate, Sadism, Violence.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats not a good situation to be in. Good Luck with it. How much is the contract? I've always heard that contracts where a bad deal. But they keep the power bill paid I guess.

Posted On:
    6/23/2005 10:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem with that is, I have no real interest in TSD anymore. If I was interested in doing jumping kicks, spinning kicks, or jump-spinning kicks, then maybe. It's not just how it's taught, it's the style itself.
    DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache

Posted On:
    6/23/2005 10:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim
    Thats not a good situation to be in. Good Luck with it. How much is the contract? I've always heard that contracts where a bad deal. But they keep the power bill paid I guess.
    Thanks. I pay $110 a month, plus signing up again costs an assload. I'm embarassed to say how much, but I probably could have bought an entry level Paul Chen katana. Yeah, contracts are pretty well disliked around here, with a few exceptions. The monthly for PhillyMMA is about $138 for Muay Thai and BJJ, which is reasonable to me. Not sure if they have sign-up fees, but I don't see how it could be worse than where I'm at now. Even if it was the same, at least it would be worth the money.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast