Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 5:15pm

Style: Uncertain

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

School and Style questions (Hapkiyoosool/Jeff Allen)

Greets everyone,
    I should just come out and say now that I'm not experienced in any martial art per say. I've done some straight up self-defense training (which, thankfully, worked very well when I needed it.), but not nearly to the extent I would like, and I really would like to get serious about training. So...Here's my dilemna.

I'm looking for a school in Fort Lauderdale. Hapkido interests me, and seems like a pretty effective art. One of the things I'm looking for here, are some experienced opinions on this. I found one school, that seems to be excellent, and possibly bullshido, at the same time. The school is Hapkiyoosool, and the instructor is Jeff Allen. I've seen some pretty wild threads on here in regards to this, and I by NO means want to start up another crazy thread. If you've been to his school, trained with him, sparred with him, or been to a seminar, please give me your opinion.

By no means am I limiting my options to Hapkido, but the broad nature of the training seems like a good base martial art to learn. I'm also considering Muay Thai or Judo. Both I would take at American Top Team. I initially took a few classes there, but stopped for a long while due to a chest injury I got at a concert.

So basically, what form do you guys recommend? What are your opinions on Hapkido? I'm a fairly tall, skinnier person (6'2", 165 lbs) Is there any particular form I'd be more/less well suited to?

Thanks for any advice you guys give. I've read some pretty knowledgeable posts here. If this is in the wrong forum, please let me know. I am, as the icon says, a n00bie.

Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 5:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.hapkiyoosool.com/

There's the website for anyone interested.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 8:02pm

Style: MMA/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Generally Hapkido guys are really good at putting on demonstations. The fighting skills of Hapkido players, however, are questionable and will vary widely.

Judo and Muay Thai are both very well respected fighting styles. Because they are combat sports, the practitioners have to fight. That means the general standard is much higher, and much more of a sure bet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 8:20pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go there and see what the classes are like.

Hapkido sounds like a good choice with the all-range fighting it covers, but it's usually not as inclusive as it seems. There are some good Hapkido schools out there, but a whole lot more shitty ones. I'd say the ratio of crappy Hapkido schools to good ones is somewhere around 126:1.

You'd be better off with the Muay Thai/Judo classes.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 8:23pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay use the search function guys. There was an entire thread based on this. That is not a Hapkido school so stop calling it that. Find the other thread I'll be locking this one down.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 8:24pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 8:26pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go to that link then come back here guys.

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 9:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

That is one of the few very lllooooonnnnnnggggggg threads that is actually worth reading the entire thing. Entertaining.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2005 9:17am

Style: Uncertain

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    Go to that link then come back here guys.

I actually did read this whole thread, and that's the reason I'm posting. After 38 pages of random people saying different things, I wasn't sure what the verdict is. From what I gathered, Deluxe never actually went to the school. So did someone find out for sure that this is more of an Aikido focused school than Hapkido?
    I tried to be pretty thorough. I read all the threads he (Jeff Allen) posted on here, and some on Budoseek (Where he seemed to have a certain amount of respect, and . From what I saw, when people called to check his references, what they got out of it was that he was well respected, and a skilled instructor. But I did notice a lot of what seemed like double-talk to me. I really am not trying to stir up the pot here, I wanted someone's honest opinion of hapkido, and then to see if anyone had actually been to that school. I'm just really wanting to take training seriously at this point in my life, and I don't want to end up at a less than top notch school.

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    6/23/2005 10:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had similar run ins with Mr Allen on other sites about his claims. His attitude towards the importance of accuracy in his website's statements is somewhat lacking which puts a big questionmark over his character. Afterall, he is the real deal and all other Hapkido orgs are wrongly claiming to be Hapkido.....
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast