Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 12:09am

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As someone whose been bit 23 times in the last two years...

THe crazier a person is the more likely they are to bite.

Style is irrelevant to the matter.
    Last edited by antman; 6/22/2005 12:15am at .
    "Its not important to be strong, its just important not to be weak."

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 1:43am

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was actually thinking about fighting dirty in terms of grappling lately. The thought really occured when I was really damn tired and rolling, and I caught a guy's thumb from the guard. I was thinking instantly "I could break his thumb if I were in a real fight and needed to." then quickly switched my grip to his wrist just in case he accidently yanked his arm and hurt himself.

It seems like in a real fight rather than wrist control you could go for thumb/finger control, hair and or ear control as an alternative to head/neck control and so on. Maybe it's all just theory, but it seems fairly reasonable to me. Certainly biting or using hair/ear control from a standing clinch seems almost natural. There are infact certain moves that I prefer to use much less because I feel like I am too vulernable to a bite, ear pull, etc from that posistion. That doesn't mean I completely neglect them, I just prefer alternatives.

HoneyBadger, I too am curious how FMA trains biting. I am not suggesting at all that grappling prepares you any better or worse than your FMA training because I know absolutley nothing about it. Could you perhaps describe how biting is trained and give an example of when and where to bite?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 12:16pm

Style: BJJ blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I was a kickass grappler who was dominating my untrained opponent on the ground, I think I would much rather go for a RNC, and then call the police, or run away, after they are passed out. Biting someones ear off just doesn't sound all that pleasent to me, and it wouldn't stop the fight.

Sardonic or Sarcastic?

Posted On:
    6/23/2005 3:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Filipino Kun Tao, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I apologize for not responding earlier - life gets in the way of my surfing sometimes.

How do you train a bite? One of the most publicized ways is the one I've tried on a few occasions.

Take a raw* steak and wrap it in an old t-shirt. Start going at it with small, circular bites using the side of your mouth (emphasizing the canines) and taking away a little bit at a time. Try and get through as much as you can in either 3 minutes or until your jaw cramps up (which usually happens to me in about 90 seconds). I think Paul Vunak showed this in one of his videos.

Where to bite? Nervy areas are generally good - the forearm meat just below the crook of the elbow where the radial nerve (I think) runs, the inside of the bicep where the brachial nerve runs, the nipples, the stomach, and if you want to go to jail, the throat. In the proper position, the lats. The cheek just below the eye (think Cape Fear) is another one that will probably get you some time for maiming.

The object isn't to clamp and hold on with the teeth like a bulldog, but to rip some meat away with each successive bite. In order to get more than one bite in, it's crucial to "sandwich" whatever you're biting so that the opponent can't just pull away.

Just to clarify, I think that BJJ and kino mutai would be an awesome combination, but you've got to put the time in on the kino mutai to use it properly. It's true that anyone can bite, but biting effectively takes training.

*Properly cooking meat, poultry, and shellfish significantly reduces the chance of contracting foodborne illness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    I would so do Buttsecks.

Sardonic or Sarcastic?

Posted On:
    6/23/2005 3:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Filipino Kun Tao, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also - the ear isn't necessarily a great biting point. The ear has relatively few nerves compared to other areas of the body. Psychologically, it might be good, but not for pain/damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    I would so do Buttsecks.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/23/2005 3:49pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, but if you bit someone's fucking ear off - they will remember that **** for a long long time. And you will be notorious. Knowing you might bite my ear off is reason alone to just avoid you.

I practice biting all the time. In fact I do it several times a day. Yesterday I was especially diligent in my practice. I ate like 7 times. Each and every meal I was biting things in repetition. Nothing could stop me.

Combined with my BJJ I AM UNFUCKING STOPPABLE. FEAR ME! GRRRRR GRRRRR GRRRRRR!

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    6/23/2005 4:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know of a "ear bitten off in a bar fight" case that's going on right now. Pretty much the whole lobe is gone. I'll let you know what happens.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12