Sponsored Links Spacer Image

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    6/20/2005 1:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is NO really good reason for having a policy for having members share their real names.

Like others have posted, and it has happened here, pple can get harrassed in the real world when something as simple as their name was shared. (Think about it, how hard would it be to track down someone when you have their name and location.)

BTW I am offically changing my name to EVIL ASIA.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2005 1:35pm

Style: Aikido/FMA/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, I post frequently on many forum, using my own name, am very opinionated, easily found, and have never received any serious threat. What must I be doing wrong?

While I can respect others wished to remain anonymous for whatever reason, I respect more the ones who are open, honest, and proud of who they are and where they come from. Something about personal and social responsibility and accountability.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    6/20/2005 1:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SeiserL
    Personally, I post frequently on many forum, using my own name, am very opinionated, easily found, and have never received any serious threat. What must I be doing wrong?

While I can respect others wished to remain anonymous for whatever reason, I respect more the ones who are open, honest, and proud of who they are and where they come from. Something about personal and social responsibility and accountability.

Bullshido is NOT a typical MA forum, people put themselves out there, fighting Frauds and such things, hitting those very people where it hurts the most, the pocket book, not the ego.
    Lets not compare shall we.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    6/20/2005 1:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can give you a few tips if you like. God knows I have had my share. However at the time I didn't really care. I had the, "COME GET ME, BITCH!" attitude. But like I stated earlier it has happened here. And going along with what Ronin said the nature of this site makes it prime for lawsuits. McDonalds Corp even came after us!!!!

On the internet how do you really know the pple giving their name are being honest? I am sure some are, I have on other boards, but anyone can easily make up a name. Would that really take away from what they posted?
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Professional Wrestler

Posted On:
    6/20/2005 2:08pm

Style: Aikido-Kickboxing-Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Go look around E-Budo and see what the real name policy has produced. People refusing to disagree, even when they know something is wrong. Blind acceptance of what someone says, it's rapidly becoming a parady of what it was.

Only reason I resurfaced there is because someone with an axe to grind against my instructor decided to pop up, even though the other active members of that board who hold belts in my style and personally know my instructor sat on their friggin hands and let a know-nothing newbie bad mouth him, because they didn't want to make waves or put their own "internet reps" on the line for what they know is true.

There's more honestly floating around here than at E-Budo. The real name policy does nothing to make people more honest.
    "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
    -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
    -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
    -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
    -Don Gwinn

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    6/20/2005 4:40pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Threadgill
    I appreciate what you're saying but I am a moderator on Bugei's Swordforum. We now strictly enforce the real names requirement and everyones ISP address is available to us to prevent multiple ID's. Meaningful discussion was crippled by the "white noise" of trolls and anonymous assholes like Cutting Edge. As soon as the real name requirement was instituted and enforced the kind of Bullshido happenening over here with someone like Cutting Edge stopped because we'd expose his ass in a second.

(I'd be interested in what you'd find if you go check Cutting Edge's ISP address against others and look up the physical origin of his post's.)

If REALLY you want to prevent bullshido, honesty should be at the top of the list, right? Attacking someone from anonymity is about as dishonorable as it gets.

Requiring real names is not that hard. We do it.

Thanks for listening.
    For the record, I find this post insulting, condescending, smug and irritating. I responded in kind. I'm like that.

In particular, the "is not that hard. We do it". That drove me SPARE.

Frankly, Toby, my response was model of politeness for me. Ask around. I'm the pitbull on crack admin, fangs out and hair on fire. I'm PROUD of this place, of its members and what we're trying to do. I respect honest, open communication. Polite, yes, but not the continual insistence on "respect". You EARN my respect, and I'll be respectful. It's not a right, it's a privilege.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2005 4:59pm

Style: BJJ/Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Threadgill
    I think Stan may be a bit embarrassed that he was duped by a guy like Tennenhouse.
    I don't think Stan should feel embarrassed if his misjudgement was a result of Tennenhouse misrepresenting himself. I'm just saying that it would be a whole lot easier to form an opinion from seeing the video, as opposed to trying to make sense of 300+ posts of arguing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2005 5:02pm

Style: Aikido Iaido Jujitsu Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    If anyone has concerns about people using multiple names, please just use the "report post" button and I'll check it.

As to the real names thing ... no one's stopping anyone from posting their real name. We simply have no facist requirement that forces people to do so.

Hey, if that kind of honesty is all important, why stop at names? Why not pictures, addresses, where their kids go to school, what route they take to work? Proves you're "honest", right?

Either you talk sense or you don't, whether you use your legal name or not. I myself have specific reasons I don't make my identity public. Are you suggesting that I am then a: fool? troll? harasser? web warrior?

Maybe it does cut down on the trolls, but it also cuts down on the honest, intelligent martial artists who just don't want their personal words being attached to their school or style or instructor.
    Anonymity over accountabilty???!!?!

These have got to be some of dumbest excuses for not using your real name that I have ever heard....

Where did your black and white thinking come from??? And please.... Don't give us liberals a bad name by inffering that using real names and standing by ones statements is somehow Fascist or will lead to some kind of oppression or invasion of privacy...Think better of your members. No one here assumes that they represent anybody elses opinion but thier own and that being said if you can't be held accountable for your opinion on a PUBLIC FORUM like thousands of other authors...Don't Post...

Maybe you should tap out in the future and allow more oxygen to your brain.

William Hazen ( LIBERAL with a real real name)
    Last edited by aikibu2; 6/20/2005 6:28pm at .

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    6/20/2005 5:15pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weeelll, that's an interesting post. Me thinks it's time to split off this discussion, which I will do (and reply to akiboy up there too) when I get home from work.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2005 5:15pm

Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JKD Chick,

Then I apologise. It was definitely not my intent to be condescending or smug. I was genuinely interested in why you guys operate the way you do given your proposed mission statement. The admin and mods at Bugei's Swordforum had some really serious problems with trolls and bullshit. We addressed it the way we did after much correspondence and it has been quite effective given our philosophy and aims. One thing I notice is that you get much more traffic than we do. This I surmised could be a valid reason for your moderator to propose that such a requirement would be too hard too enforce. On the other hand I reasoned that it could be a difference in basic discussion board philosophy. If that wasn't apparant in my post then I was obviously not as clear as I should have been.

Like I said, it's your board and you guys are the ones driving. You get to make the rules and then have to enforce them. I respect you for your mission. The fact that I would do it differently should not be taken as an insult because the concept that people with similar goals frequently use completely different methods is as old as communication.

Thanks again and sorry about the misunderstanding....
    Last edited by Toby Threadgill; 6/20/2005 5:18pm at .
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast