Our Sponsors:

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 8:12pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I post here under my own name, I also work on investigating people for Bullshido. My feeling however is that revealing ones name is an individual choice.

In the last six months one of the houses I live in has been under surveillance. (It's out in the country and was easy to spot). Was it related to Bullshido? I can't prove this since I don't know who paid the guy, but if you use your real name and stir **** on the internet, its a reality. I had to deal with the unpleasant possibility that by using my real name I had brought something unpleasant home from the internet.

So I say revealing ones name is a person's choice.

It is hard to get members to participate in investigations. Especially when they are young, and live in the same hometown as some wacko. So for example they will help me pull court records, but I can't blame them if they don't want to use their real name, and possibly get tracked down by an individual who runs around the internet insisting they are the deadly.

We also have a couple people here who do "undercover" work, for example look at Bun Yip's thread in the classic section on taking lessons at West Wind. Thats kinda hard if you reveal your real name here.

And it you're a woman on a MA bulletin board forget about it. Lot's of horndogs out there, so I don't blame any woman for not making herself more accessable to cyberstalkers.

So William do you do any work on the people selling tapes at TRS? I am curious if their spec op credentials pan out.

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 8:32pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sam's right, as always.

It's completely a matter of personal choice. If you want to question who somebody is, go for it.

So many people get an e-hard-on for authority on the Internet and lord over their little fiefdoms like Boss Hogg chasing the Duke boys around Hazzard county. Get over it. Obviously those people who share their names are going to be taken a bit more seriously than those who don't. But cracking the whip and acting like everyone should goose-step in line only gets you a forum full of people who do nothing but agree with each other and never what anyone says.

That's fine if you want to have a forum that's essentially a support group for people of certain hobbies to disassociate themselves with the rest of the outside world. Bullshido, however, is managed so that no views or opinions can be sheltered from critical thinking and scrutiny. This means you can put up, or shut up.

Posting your real name means nothing unless you're willing to back up your views in person. Perhaps you should show up to a Throwdown and defend your concepts against Bullshido members face to face? Otherwise, there's little difference between posting your "real" name, nice and snug behind the walls of your house, and not posting your real name.

I haven't said anything that hasn't already been covered by our members and staff. But keep something in mind:

If you don't like the way we do things around here, it's probably because we've highlighted one of your own shortcomings. Not everyone can stand having their ideas criticised, much less questioned. We understand this; it's why so many members of this website have come here out of frustration at the support group mentality that pervades most Martial Arts forums. No one's allowed to "judge" the merit of anyone else's statements, and so you have the most ridiculous garbage spewed forth onto their pages without a single person willing to risk getting banned for saying "I don't think so..."

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 9:07pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Them duke boys better grow wings and fly if they're gonna get out of this one....
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2005 2:46am

Style: casual

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For whatever its worth...S.Browning/Phrost..IMHO..are correct..individual choice.
    I am in a few forums....usually by the 'name' here. In another, it was already taken when I registered...in another - full name required......but 'its' still 'me'.

In fact, in one forum..I think this one, awhile ago....(could be wrong..so many posts all over the place) - I invited an individual to come and vist my beloved city - to help him with a hands on removal of his delusions, right out for all to read...gave full address, apartment number - held off on the phone # -- well, cause a guys gotta sleep.
    Never heard a peep.

Although I have been tempted to attend a NYC throwdown...I have yet to do so. For a number of reasons...mostly limited time..and I will admit, at 50 - I really dont need to bang heads with guys in better shape, half my age or so. I get enough of that at work. Still, eventually, I know I will find myself attending at least one - for I find the practice/concept very interesting...healthy for the overall m.a. community. As far as I am aware - this community is the one that pretty much made this an open re-curring thing. I like the concept.

Earlier, someone mentioned that - after awhile - a 'personality' is known by their posts. I pretty much agree with that.

I also believe that - given the ability to claim any 'name' - real or not - is overall not that important on a forum. Your 'name' is secondary - if I may be so bold...a moron (or fucktard...and here I am in Brooklyn....thought I heard all of em...'fucktard' is new to me..live and learn) will make themselves clear by words - manner - content on the site. One can ban a person by real or false name. Now, as far as posting a real name, in relation to some dickwad getting motivated to seek one out in the real....its a valid consideration. LOTSA hooples out there...some very skilled....as odd as that might seem.

Maybe because my job is a civil service one, I really dont worry so much about it. I meet again quite a few I once had to deal with outside of the confines of my employ....and even then, in 19 years of that...VERY few ever decided to try and pay back the past - as they see it. You deal with so many over the years, that few stand out facially. For every one I have had to re-deal a hand to...many more basically said 'hello' or I knew them by the way the reacted to me....and a helluva lot more I never knew were cognizant of the past, did I recognize - I would assume.

Just my perspective on the overall, many points raised of this thread that I found way too late to make a more valid voice to.

I really dont think it matters much of your screen name - or real name - but I do admit, personal choice is something I like...something that seems to be less and less well regarded in the world today.

RobG on some, RobGreen on another, NYCRonin on one other.....whats in a name? A valid poster - or a dweeb, a feeb, a poser - or even a 'fucktard' or MoFo...still gives off a smell. Doesnt really take many posts to tell a troll from a seeker, the fakes from sincere or a 'Dark Weasel 10TH level chin-pokimon master' from a person trying to be good at 'all this'..not really.

To each - their own....oh, and I also agree that any woman poster should avoid posting her real name ANYWHERE on the web. That comes as 'professional' advice - as was demonstrated last year when a serial rapist I 'worked' with...when arrested - had been caught with a list...A FUCKIN PC PRINTOUT LIST - of OVER 300 women and young girls and boys...that he somehow had obtained from the web...listing HOME addresses and some phone numbers, some physical attributes - even a few web pix - across the country! Some circled..as were all his victims.
    BUT...as noted in the FBI report...no screen names were included on his list - and they found that important enough to mention it. Could be just one real screwy psycho...and then again, maybe Ted Bundy would have LOVED the web. We are all involved in our personal protection, and those we care for..and I guess one cannot be too careful anymore.

OK - a too long post...I do that at times.

Personal choice....just seems to be a safer way to go overall.

Particularly, on the net.
    <JMHO>
    Last edited by RobG; 6/23/2005 2:58am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2005 3:49am

Style: none currently, ex-TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmchairNinja
    Attaching your name and credentials after every post will undoubtedly draw attention from the actual post and hinder critical thinking among many readers, whereas in an anonymous system everyone will be judged based on what they write. Granted eventually some nicknames will gain a credibility status that works the same way as credentials, but at least everyone starts on the same line instead of someone just walking in and rubbing their Menkyo Kaiden title in everyone's face.
    Pardon me if this has already been brought up. I haven't completely read ALL previous posts because some were soooo terrible I wanted the author to die painfully, alone and unloved. Regardless, isn't it true that in order to get those cool, color-coded tags that display your creds (law enforcement, military, pro/amateur fighter, black belt/instructor, etc.), you have to submit PROOF to the mods (and be a Supporting Member), and they apply the proper tags? So I can claim to be an 8th degree blackbelt / pro MMA competitor / Spec Warrior all I want, but no one will believe me because I don't have the official tags.

If I'm correct, anonimity is retained (at least to any random weirdos on the internet), while added credibility is only given to those who prove it.

So, to sum up... On Bullshido:

* Respect is earned, not given out like candy.
    * You WILL be expected to back up what you say, with logic, video evidence, and/or throwdown performance. Argue like a retard, and you'll be treated as such.
    * Only PROVEN experience is taken seriously.
    * It's OK to call bullshit on someone if you have cause. No really, you won't get banned.
    * Politeness, like anonimity, is optional. So, man up, bitches! :razz:

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    6/23/2005 12:42pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find this site to be well regulated. The mods, most of whom have met one another in person, verify the bonafides of people and vouch for them so that they don't have to post their entire life stories. This site only seems like an anonymous web-board if you haven't been on it very long.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2005 4:29am

Style: casual

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Errr, 'no one will believe you without the proper tags' - isnt that stretching things abit?
    In order to have any shred of veracity here...I would have to scan my work ID and cetificates of instructorship -- send them here FIRST...with a full membership fee..before ANYONE will believe anything I write to have truth?

I dont believe that..for if that were true...REALLY TRUE....then I am way off. I dont write often....but generally, I have not been called to task here...regardless of non-possession of any 'cool tags' attached to my name. Some disagree with what I write, always been intelligent discussion.....never earned the accolade of fucktard by the evil clown master.

Am I wrong? Do I really have to go through all that - and pay any fee, regardless of size - to 'buy' a form of veracity in my posts?

I dont belive that at all, here - in perhaps the most free and sometimes abrasive and raw of forums....I feel oddly comfortable.

And if I HAD to buy my way into any cool level of percieved authority - I would be out of here as soon as notified of such. Even if it was a dollar....you CANT buy any form of authority here!

On the web, alot can be deceptive. It takes a helluva lot of intuitve experience to know when bullshit is being spread - or someone just does not express in written words well.

THATS one of the gifts of this particular site - raw, abrasive as it may be for some. They mods do need and deserve whatever support they receive.. $$$ or otherwise. $$$$ is perhaps the best for many reasons.

BUT - unless I am as wrong as I was when I chose my ex-wife (well, people change - we were good then) - I KNOW that even good paper, cool tags and bells whistles, dildos and bottlerockets CANT give anyone a form of authority here.....only the words and whatever real time one gets to share with others, in time.

Unless...I am far too dulled to notice....this is a free zone....and respect and authority cant be bought by the above - only time and words give one a presence on any forum.

Mine is not a big deal here...but even so, I never felt less than 'respected' for what little I do have the time to write.

ANd THAT is why I enjoy this site so much...and eventually - I will be cognizant enough to remember that I do have the pocket change to spend in support of this site....sometime after the rent, web-service, electricity, child support, food and such are done with for any given month. Too much month at the end of the money, always.

Cool tags here, dont mean anything more than a belt color....at least, thats the way the paying members have always treated me.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    6/24/2005 5:41am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ROFLMAO @ this thread and the evil aikidoka!!! :pottytrai

Quote Originally Posted by bodar
    So, to sum up... On Bullshido:

* Respect is earned, not given out like candy.
    * You WILL be expected to back up what you say, with logic, video evidence, and/or throwdown performance. Argue like a retard, and you'll be treated as such.
    * Only PROVEN experience is taken seriously.
    * It's OK to call bullshit on someone if you have cause. No really, you won't get banned.
    * Politeness, like anonimity, is optional. So, man up, bitches! :razz:

You it amazes me that the ditractors of this site can't get these simple points.
    We actually ENCOURAGE pple on the board to meet and back up their point on a regular basis. Many boards now claim to do this but even if they do its not as frequent as here. Then we do something silly like post videos. But ofcourse its all for nothing because we don't make pple use their real names on the internet! :eusa_doh:
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Seeker of Knowledge

Posted On:
    6/24/2005 5:59am

supporting member
     Style: Chen Style Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And isnt it Ironic that the Mr Hazen uses a nickname for his posts... sure he may sign with a name but I could sign all my posts Fidel Castro but that dont make it so...

Also did he pass on ANY info re ANY sort of Military service... I had a very quick look at the board and I dont know what to make of it really...
    "If you can get it from my kungfu grip then you can have it... otherwise... step off b*t*h!!!" - Meet the Parents

"Hetero or Homo I don't see anyone telling him, "NO SIR I WILL NOT TAKE IT IN THE ASS!!!" " - Asia

"My neighbor has what he calls an "immortality potion" that will let you live forever.
    People have been telling him that it's stupid and will not work... for 1200 years." - Leodom

Banish Uncertainty
    Affirm Strength
    Hold Resolve
    Expect Death - read in a book

http://uk.360.yahoo.com/shadowdh

To the Bat Pole!

Posted On:
    6/24/2005 7:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I must say, I'm impressed by the mods and admin in this thread. Way to represent, guys.

All I've seen from the Aikido crew is passive-aggressive nonsense that turned into outright trolling.

Posting ANY information about yourself on the Internet is surely a bad idea. I used to have my home town on my profile...until someone tracked me down and wanted to meet me. As it was, it was not malicious, but it's still asking for trouble.

My real name is Michael Sampson.

Or is it?

Actually it's Matthew Clarke.

WHO CARES?

It's the content of the posts that defines the poster, not whatever their screen name is. Would you respect Strangler if he used his real name? Lose respect for Samuel Browning if he called himself 'Mr Lawyer'?

No. If you don't like it, go away, and take your delusions of 'respect', 'enlightenment', and your trollish nonsense with you.
    Mr Politically Correct GIJoe6186:
    Fat people disgust me in every way imaginable. I was at Freindly's with my girl tonight and saw a bunch of fat fuckers. I felt sorry for the pavement they were killing and the people who had to see them. .
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910