Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 2:16pm

Style: Shotokan?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm an idiot. Aikido vs. Judo.

I know nothing of Aikido or Judo. Searching on the internet turns up pretty bland, floating descriptions. They are both grappling arts, yes? They both have alot of groundwork? What are some traits of both, how are they alike, and which is more prone to Bullshido/Mcdojos?

Which do you prefer, and why?

... I'm sorry. I really would like some info on them for the purpose of crosstraining, because apparently, here in New Orleans we have a decent Aikido and Judo school. I appreciate any advice, comments, links to more info, etc. etc. :\

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 2:26pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido does not have groundwork for the most part. Most people here will tell you to do judo. I agree with them.

Personally, I love judo. The training is very practical and you get a lot of practice using the various techniques on fully resisting opponents. There is a lot of hard contact free sparring, which is integral to learning how to fight.

Loving Father

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 2:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In terms of cross-taining, Judo will be more useful, sooner. The nature of Judo is for competition, so that you will learn techniques you can use, and then practice using them sooner than much of Aikido.

In terms of what could be more rewarding to you personally?
    You'd have to try both, and decide for yourself.

`~/

Go do judo.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 2:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know it's long, but read through the "'resistant Aikido Clips" thread at the top of this board. Especially the first 10 or 12 pages. That will probably tell you more than you ever wanted to know about Aikido.

To the Bat Pole!

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 2:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, judo. It's trained harder and has groundwork. Make sure it's got a good distribution of throwing and groundwork, and does a reasonable amount of randori.

All I've heard of aikido is of compliant partners and impractical moves. And skirts.
    Mr Politically Correct GIJoe6186:
    Fat people disgust me in every way imaginable. I was at Freindly's with my girl tonight and saw a bunch of fat fuckers. I felt sorry for the pavement they were killing and the people who had to see them. .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 2:29pm

Style: Russian boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I predict that this thread will degenerate into a "judo is better because they practise in an 'alive' manner, whereas fruity aikidokas like to get co-operative, hold wrists (not hands) and sing kumbaya in japanese"

But let me get cursory. Aikido is about dis-engagement and evasion and ending a conflict without hurting yourself and your assailant. It emphasizes flexibility, agility, internal sensitivity, breathing power, timing, and redirecting and exploiting a commited opponent's energy. As far as ground game goes, suwariwaza is the closest you'll get.

Judo on the other hand is purely engagement and is much more 'physical' and 'external' than aikido. Flexibility, agility, and strength are important, but not as important as positioning (for a throw). A lot of people will tell you here that BJJ's newaza originally came from Judo (as transmitted by Maeda) so the ground game is solid in Judo.

See what fits your personality and your body's capabilities, and stick with it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 2:32pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo is better because you train alive, with a fully resisting opponent.

Whereas Aikido teaches you first and foremost to be a good Uke and fall for your partner when they finish their technique.

As for the bullshit about positioning your body, if you don't have position and technique down, you aren't throwing.

Let's foget about the ground work, Aikido sucks,
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 2:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido has better kicks than judo.

game dog

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 2:35pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo wins.

Seriously:

Aikido focuses on timing and footwork to break the other guy's balance and apply throws or joint locks.
    Judo focuses on getting a good grip to break the balance. Throws often use the hip or legs (as opposed to aikido). Judo throws tend to be much higher-percentage.

Aikido has no groundwork to speak of. Techniques are practiced kneeling, but they don't actually WORK kneeling, and aren't really supposed to either.
    Judo has groundwork that focuses on pins and escapes, with some armbars and chokes, but not as much emphasis on submissions or transitions as Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, for example.

Aikido has weapons (staff, sword) that are practiced in kata (forms and drills). Judo doesn't.

Aikido practice is generally cooperative partner drills and cooperative technique practice. If you resist too much, you're considered a bad uke. There is little improvisation, practically none below black belt level.

Judo has cooperative practice to learn and drill the technique, as well as live wrestling (randori), which is a great workout and improves the applicability of techniques tremendously.

If you want to hang out with hippies and philosophise about peace and harmony (nothing wrong with that), do aikido.

If you want applicable martial skills, do judo.
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 2:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo. next.
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast