Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/25/2005 12:03am

Style: Karate, Sadism, Violence.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LifeTime:

Would it have been illegal to let him 'accidentally' kick your elbows? Sometimes when I'm sparring a student that gets 'kick happy' I let them kick my elbows. If they piss me off, I roll my elbow out into their foot. If everthing goes well they end up on the ground holding their foot and limping for a few. It really discourages kicks to the mid-section. I broke my brothers hand one time doing that to a reverse punch. 4 months later when we sparred again he blacked my eye though...bastard..anyway. :5badair:

That sorta trickery might be illegal in a kick orenited tourny though. Let 'em hammer away with those feet!

I'll try to download the video tomorrow on my office's DSL.

Cheers

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2005 5:48pm

Style: MT,bJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lifetime
    Any idea how to do this on a heavier fighter? I don't think I was successful in intimidating him :tongue9:

Also I really need to work on the adrenaline dump. That **** kills me every time.

Hey. At one time I was a national level competitor in WTF TKD. I have no clue as to what level you are so here is my advise. I would suggest the following.

1.) Use Bas Rutten's all round work on his MMA training CD.
    2.) Spend some time training with boxers or go to a boxing gym. Boxers spend a lot of time on conditioning and footwork. By watching your fight I can tell that you've never been coached on how to properly set up strikes with your footwork, etc. Example you kept backing up. You never back up in a fight unless your going to back up then circle. Always circle a round your opponent.
    3.) After the boxing spend some time training in Muay Thai. The Muay thai will really help you with neutralizing TKD attacks. When I competed '98-00 checking a kick was not illegal but not highly looked upon.
    4.) On intimidating your opponent. You can just always act crazy : ) Or employ a "straight-blast" mentality. Just go out there blasting away. Just keep driving your opponent out of the ring. I believe under WTF rules a point is deducted for backing out of the ring 3 times.

Hope this helps and the best of luck to you! PM me anytime if I can be of assistance.

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    6/27/2005 2:51am

Style: TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On Boxing footwork: I might just try that. Is there a great difference between setting up punches and setting up kicks? Plus, I do intend to at least get some MT or Kyokushin training because of the great interest I have in both of those. For the moment though, I don't have too much spare time (student and all..) so I guess I'll keep working on circular footwork.
    Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all **** like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
    I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
    what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/27/2005 4:41am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in my last TKD fight (and i never had very many) i kicked as hard as i could as he was blocking, just over and over for the first maybe 20 seconds. the kicks were hard enough to knock him around a bit, and obviously hurt is arms. i even got a couple of points for it. for the rest of the fight he was very cautious and hesitant. i wanted him to think "if one of those gets through i'm fucked". i won, though my feet and shins were pretty bruised and swollen...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2005 7:26am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On Boxing footwork: I might just try that. Is there a great difference between setting up punches and setting up kicks? Plus, I do intend to at least get some MT or Kyokushin training because of the great interest I have in both of those. For the moment though, I don't have too much spare time (student and all..) so I guess I'll keep working on circular footwork.
    Theres a massive difference between boxing stance and kicking stance (this might be where i get flamed by others)... but the orthordox boxing stance is very square on, and able to get the most out of your punches, and the most 'convenient' kicking stance is side on - that way you can throw side kicks, lead round houses to the head (or body), spinners (if you like them, i for one dont).

Someone said that you had good combinations - and thats "half-True". When you threw combinations one of more of the offensive blows struck. The most simple (and actually my favourate) combination is jab-cross-rear leg round house to the head. On the kick, dont pause after the punch... just go 1-2-3 and *BAM* even if his guards up it still hurts like a bastard! THought id mention that one as you said you were rear/right leg happy.

Good luck in your next one, and hope you push yourself harder next time!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2005 8:46am

Style: MT,bJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not terribly familiar with Kyojushin training so I can't vouch for it. But going back to the boxing. Yes, there is a difference in setting up kicks and punches but they're both strikes and the boxing will help you to develop your hands for when you are too close for kicks. Boxing stances are going to vary from school to school. The stance I use for boxing is front foot (left) at 12 o'clock back leg at 2 'clock. This will vary from person to person. I can still kick just fine from this position
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234