All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 2:26pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your shoulder is junk, Alex.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 3:00pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Watched the vid - assuming you are the guy in blue as stated above,

1. Keep your hands up. You have the stereotypical TKD low guard so bad, it was making my shins itch >:)

2. Move more. You seemed focused on bouncing in front of your target. Circle more - your opponent was walking you into corners - you want to be doing that to him.

3. Based on the speed of that spin kick at :42 (nice, btw) - none of those "push kicks" (they were actually just slop front kicks) were anything you couldn't counter.

4. Change it up from the round kick once in a while - the point of that guy's chin was out there.

5. Combo up more, and use climbing, falling, and skipping combos, don't just bore at one target when you combo up.

6. - As other's stated, relax. The pace of this fight shouldn't have tired you out as much as it seems too - you look like you're in OK shape, so that means you were probably tensed up too much.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 7:55pm

Style: TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys. I really took up this competition a week before my uni exams so I probably was pretty tense about the whole thing. There was one point in the fight when I really just started thinking.. man.. I just want to go home and work so I don't fail.

I landed a head kick on the closed side that didn't score, unfortunately, which is probably due to my right leg dominance. He did drop me once, I'm not sure what the second time was, but if its the one where I attempt a spinning kick and he crashes into me, it wouldn't have counted as a knock-down. The WTF is easing up penalties for falling whenever someone attempts a "fancy" kick.

Anyway I'll be working a lot on my wind and my footwork when I'm tired. I think my feet really let me down towards the end of the video because they just weren't moving. I need lots more work.
    Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all **** like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
    I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
    what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 10:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    downloading now, I'm looking forward to seeing you fight
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 11:28pm

Style: TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where he hit me in the nads? Watching now. I do remember taking a tumble when I tried a spin kick, but I thought that was due to him crashing into me rather than a kick. Maybe I need to look a little closer.

And I'd love to get some feedback, feedback! (sorry, I couldn't help myself..)
    Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all **** like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
    I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
    what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 1:04am

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    actually not bad for wtf tkd (< hey look a backhanded compliment). the video quality was great.

instead of wasting energy and kicking him in the back, you should just throw those kicks to his head.
    you should also drill side stepping and circling, just to better avoid those sloppy push kicks.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 1:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GODDAMNIT LIFELINE, IF ONLY YOU TRAINED IN A CREDIBLE GRAPPLING ART, YOU COULD HAVE TAKEN HIM DOWN AND SUBMITTED HIM AT WILL

I mean

Your combos were good and fluid, they definately gave you an edge over your opponent. The front-leg roundkick to backkick especially. I saw a lot of linear movement and your spacing was decent, but you should have been circling more. I'm not sure how many of your punches (from your punch/kick combos) scored, but they do help you create space so you have a more ideal range for your kicks to land, and you used that well. I'd say your left-rear roundkick needs more work if you want to score with it, you hit him with it a lot, but it looked like it might as well have not been thrown. Maybe play around with using more momentum, like you do with your rear-right roundkick?
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 11:00am

Style: WTF TKD, BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AkiraMusashi

I'd rather watch this.
    Hater....

And that Korean HS TKD stuff was sick... make me realize what a chump I am when I spar.... damn....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 1:44pm

Style: TKD BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's my 2 cents...

Regarding strategy: You mentioned that you were frustrated with the push kicks he was doing - part of the reason he was successful was that he got the kick off first. Especially in WTF, you need to be the first one to get the kick off when you are in range and beat him to the punch. Remember that superiority (i.e. aggressiveness) is still a factor, particularly in a tie. Having said that, you knew early in the match that he was going off his front leg. What I've often done with push kickers is to draw them out - fake a little, then when the leg comes out, skip back just enough so they are overextended, then follow up with a roundhouse. Another strategy is to counter roundhouse off of the back leg, but you have to make sure you are going off line on the kick, otherwise the push kick will get you. A little difficult to do, but very useful to have in your arsenel. Third strategy is to do a cover punch off your lead arm - yes, I know points aren't given for punching, but it would disrupt his rhythm, mess up his distancing, and make it easier for you to get in a roundhouse to his hogu afterward.

Regarding Technique: In general your techniques are good, but you need to improve on a) the power of your kicks, and b) the "snappiness" of your kicks. Part of the reason that your opponent was so aggressive was that he didn't respect your ability to do damage to him. You should choose one technique that you really like (ideally roundhouse or back kick) and decide early in the game that you are going to hit him so hard that he'll think twice about coming in again. For me, that was always the back kick, which is a because I used to train with Herbert Perez, who was famous for his back kick and spinning kick. It doesn't matter where you hit them, only that it hurts like hell. Regarding how you develop power, here are some thoughts...a) do hill sprints...great for developing explosive speed, and also great for endurance b) get a buddy to put on two or three hogu's and have him "attack" you, while you just wail on him as hard and fast as you can for 2 - 3 minutes c) somewhere in there you should be weight lifting - don't concentrate only on your lower body, develop everything...a good kicker uses all his muscles, not just his legs. As for "snappiness", a lot of your kicks kind of "hang" there when you kick, and that's bad if you want to get your second kick out or get back in position. You need to work on getting that leg down after you kick asap. Look at how guys like Steve Lopez kick - very snappy, fast and powerful.

Regarding conditioning: What else can I say? You gotta be ready to go the distance in WTF matches...you should be running daily, doing sprints 2x/week, and lifting 3x/week minimum. This is on top of kicking drills, whether they be paddle or partner. My own opinion is that sparring should be done maybe 1x or 2x/week, but with lots of partners, and without too much breaks between sessions. One last comment - most very good TKD players have developed one or two techniques very very well. You should too. In your match, I saw you try to throw too many techniques. Doing that will just tend to tire you out. I'm not saying you shouldn't have a good repertoire, just that you will waste less energy and be more efficient with the ability to throw one technique under any circumstance or situation. How you work those situations will depend on the paddle/hogu drills you work on.

Hope this helps...good luck

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 4:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Weechey. Your cardio needs a lot of improvement. Do the exercises he mentioned and don't be afraid to ask others in your school for training tips.You were out of gas pretty quickly.

But the fact that you're here asking for advice is that you are hitting yourself for not winning. You know what? Thatís a good sign. It means you want to go further. Iíve been there and so has everyone else on here.

I guessing that blue belt is not very high on the TKD food-chain and it's not that you were inexperience it's just that you are as experience at the level you are at now. A few more tournaments fights and you may be winning and not loosing.

Donít knock yourself too hard dude! If you take youíre training seriously now. You will see that 3 years down when you are red belt or Black you will be a much better fighter.

Good fight by the way!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast