On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    11/19/2004 8:03am

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    Can Chaser, I doubt your story and your claims. Testimonials are worth **** to me.
    Sometimes I think ken is actualy an alternitive theripist trolling by pretending to be an imensly arregent "rational thinker".

I think what he ment to say is;
    Maybe if there wasnt anything medicaly wrong with you, you got better on your own. The body is increadably good at healing its self.

Broken bones no problem just ensure corect alignment of the bones before they nit back together.
    Infections again no problem generaly, most of the time you dont even notice you've got them.

If you started to get better of your own accord, slightly before or after you went to see the healer, you would automaticly think that it was down to them. This is why medical trials rely on hudge statistical studies as away to counteract this tendency.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    11/19/2004 8:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol@jeckyl.

Excellent point.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Posted On:
    11/19/2004 8:15am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar
    Jekyl,

I agree completely but how many people are honestlky going to do post standing for 20 minutes to an hour a day even if they are in pain?
    Me ;), well not post standing, firstly because I find it increadably tedious and, secondly because it doesnt involve suffient movement.

But if I have stiff/sore joints or back I find that they get better as I practice.

It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Too sick and broken to train

Posted On:
    11/19/2004 11:00am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll
    Sometimes I think ken is actualy an alternitive theripist trolling by pretending to be an imensly arregent "rational thinker".

LOL, nice. :D

I think what he ment to say is;
    Maybe if there wasnt anything medicaly wrong with you, you got better on your own. The body is increadably good at healing its self.

Broken bones no problem just ensure corect alignment of the bones before they nit back together.
    Infections again no problem generaly, most of the time you dont even notice you've got them.

If you started to get better of your own accord, slightly before or after you went to see the healer, you would automaticly think that it was down to them. This is why medical trials rely on hudge statistical studies as away to counteract this tendency.
    Hey dude, anything's possible. However, I know that when I was off meds/taking them iiregularly through the summer due to being out of town a lot, my hair started falling out again. Make of that what you will.

The chiropractor that I occasionally stop in at doesn't claim to be anything more than 'A glorified massage therapist that cracks bones, too', and thinking of a chiropractor other than in such terms is rather ridiculous. A lot of times, when I'm sore from training and go riding, or vice versa, or sore from anything and go running, the kinks tend to work themselves out. There's definitely been some times that I've needed the chiro after a particularly awkward eating of dirt, though, when nothing else help with the stiffness.

Edit: Whoa, dude, somebody ate all the little green dots and barfed up little yellow ... things.
    You're just JEALOUS!

Posted On:
    11/19/2004 11:59am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool, I'm glad it works for you.

The only thing I'd like to add is that James Randi will give one million dollars to anyone who can consistently differentiate between homeopathic remadies and plain water.

(Before anyone says anything smart about telling sugar pills and water apart the sugar pills are used to absorb the homeopathic remady.)

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/hom...llar_challenge

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    11/19/2004 6:45pm

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka-Bar
    Yup. People go to Chiropractors for colds, Accupuncturists for high cholesterol, Rolfers for osteoporosis, Reflexologists for impotency, etc. If I could find the actual numbers, you'd be shocked.

we effectively treat mild to moderate "high cholesterol" with acupuncture (only one "c") and chinese herbal medicine. in fact one of the drugs used to treat high cholesterol, lovastatin, is closely related to red yeast rice, traditionally used to treat high cholesterol. and when it comes to high cholesterol, many of the western meds have side-effects, such as shutting down the body's production of CoQ10 (with the statin drugs), which sets the patient up for future cardivascular events.

Posted On:
    11/19/2004 6:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar
    Not really true. Med prices are artifically inflated in the states. It's a joke. It's so bad that we went and passed legisltion to ban buying the stuff online from Canada or Mexico.

"Marvelon" is the most common birth control pill sold in China. It is a Swedish brand, not some cheap Chinese knockoff. But it sells here for about $3 for each 1 month supply.

The antibiotics I take when I get a sinus infection (all too common in Xi'an due to horrendous air qualityaaaaaa) I get about a 4 day supply for roughly $2.50. If you need to get hooked up on an IV drip of some antibiotics cocktail here it will still only run you about 5 bucks.

You could argue it's due to the cheap labor here and the local economy is different for the IV but in RMB it's still only about 40 rmb. The equivalent of 40 bucks for the locals. It would be several times that at home. My bill for an IV of anitibiotics at county was 3 grand. And the quality of treatment is not always better with the "real" doctor. I've had injuries where the "real" doctor had nothing more to offer than aspirin. I had a jammed shoulder that had been going on 6 months and still not really back to 100%. The "real" doctor solution? None. I was basically funtional. I just couldn't seem to train my delts without some minor pain and was just kind of weak in the joint. An accupunturist cleared up the problem inside of a week.

The TCM anti-diarretics sold in China are plenty effective. They need to be. You get the runs a lot in this place. Same for the nasal inhaler for sinuses. The ephedines in that herbal cocktail give you a nice little buzz to. :)

It's funny how this dichotmy doesn't exist in China. You go into a drug store and it's divided right down the middle for TCM vs. western drugs but just for the convenience of the clerks behind the counter. Everything is sold under the same roof. A lot of the time the will prescribe both or just ask you if you have a preference. There's no chiropractic here but the tui na doctors often do spinal adjustments. But for tui na from someone who graduated from a Chinese medical university the fee at the closest place to where I live is 20 yuan (about $2.75) for roughly an hour treatment. No appointment neccesary.

If the average chiropractor just let you drop in for a quick adjustment....like anything that had been giving you trouble in training, a bum knee or just a stiff neck because you fell asleep drunk face down on the pillow with your head at a crazy angle and now you can't move it to the right....if that sort of thing was just a drop in for 10 minutes and 20 bucks...would you still think it was quackery?

man, i had the same problem in chengdu. my lungs were fine when i was inside all day (hospital, school, gym), but when i started doing taiji outside, i got sick. but i found a nice patent that worked in a two days. one of the nice things about some patents in china is that you have a herbal formula with a little bit of pharmaceutical med in it...the effect is better then either alone plus there isn't much of the pharm med in it to cause much of a side-effect. its too bad that the only way you could do that in the US is if you are a compounding pharmacist, and those will probably be extinct before too long.

i do miss the nice hour long tuina "massages" for 20 yuan. they were quite painful, but man, they ripped up the scar tissue in my shoulders and hips and i felt great...a couple of days later...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2004 8:19pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Quikfeet509
    we effectively treat mild to moderate "high cholesterol" with acupuncture (only one "c") and chinese herbal medicine. in fact one of the drugs used to treat high cholesterol, lovastatin, is closely related to red yeast rice, traditionally used to treat high cholesterol. and when it comes to high cholesterol, many of the western meds have side-effects, such as shutting down the body's production of CoQ10 (with the statin drugs), which sets the patient up for future cardivascular events.
    Eh? Red yeast rice as traditional treatment for high cholesterol? Did ancient China even know what "cholesterol" was?

Posted On:
    11/19/2004 8:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouthfire
    Eh? Red yeast rice as traditional treatment for high cholesterol? Did ancient China even know what "cholesterol" was?

nope. high cholesterol would have been catergorized by a chinese medicine diagnosis, not a modern western biomedical diagnosis. but when the formula treats "Spleen Damp" and has the indications that are symptoms of "high cholesterol", and is effective at treating the condition, then you can say that hey, they effectively treated this. and interesting enough, the etiology of "Spleen Damp" includes intake of fatty, greasy foods and physical inactivity.

in ancient china they also fairly effectively treated diabetes, but it was called xiao ke (wasting and thirsting disorder), because of the chief symptoms of the disease.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 3:21am

Style: Arnis, WC, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Chiropractors...

I've been going to a chiropractor for the first time in my life since hurting my thoracic spine doing deadlifts. I've had 2 sessions and its actually quite surprising but I feel like its doing good... however I know that they tend to have scientifically unsupported medical philosophies e.g. kinesiology.

I was just wondering what peoples experiences of chiropractors were, and would they recommend them to people with back problems?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast