Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2005 8:09pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Damn you, Bullshido!

So after taking kung fu for about 7 or 8 months now, and frequently reading Bullshido, I decided that my takedowns and ground game weren't getting nearly enough work. We have only had one jiu-jitsu seminar in the 7 months I have been there, and only work on takedowns / throws / groundwork for about 1 hour a week.

I went to go check out a BJJ place that is on my side of town (It's Austin Jiu-Jitsu, run by Phil Cardella. I think that's where Hedgehogey trains). I just got back. Damn you, Bullshido! Now I'm going to have to cross-train and spend even more $$ for martial arts instruction!

I feel like a weak, rubbery sponge right now. It's pretty funny how grappling works completely different muscle groups than striking. Some other things I noticed--I have a VERY hard time relaxing. I also have pretty bad balance and am not aware of my center of gravity very well. Of course, I get griped at in my CMA class for not relaxing + being off balance, so it shouldn't be a surprise. I got to roll w/ a blue belt named <name removed to protect identity> who tapped me a myriad of different ways, including some cool fist choke that I totally pussed out on and tapped when I probably wasn't being completely choked--it was just uncomfortable as Hell.

BJJ Lesson #1: Don't go to class feeling like you have to poop. After 15 minutes or so, Phil (the instructor) says, "OK! Now let's work some knee-on-belly!"

Cue the 'STFU noob, shut up and train'. I just thought I would share, because without Bullshido I would probably be running around thinking I'm invincible. Thanks!
    Last edited by CMack11; 6/22/2005 3:55pm at .

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    6/20/2005 8:25pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    heh heh
    Welcome to the Dark Side, padawan.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2005 9:25pm

Style: None as of yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CMack11
    Cue the 'STFU noob, shut up and train'. I just thought I would share, because without Bullshido I would probably be running around thinking I'm invincible. Thanks!
    That's also the reason why I read and post around here too. That and to avoid being ripped off by so called chi-masters and Bruce Lee wannabes.

Otherwise I'd be getting owned in the streets by 250 lb. bodybuilder just because I know about "pressure points" and chi-kung.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    6/20/2005 10:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Devon... hell yea, bring in ms. carrera and ms. banks and u got one heck of a party.

ok enuf of the scary perv talk. Good that you picked up BJJ, prob is super expensive doing the KF and the BJJ, just pick one and stick with it for yrs till you get a nice base and then start cross training.

(pick BJJ ;)

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 12:12am

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't feel too bad. I just signed up for some cross training in vale tudo (I figure I'll get in more hard-contact sparring, and of course it's not like I have to forget all of my taijutsu to do it), and then got sucked in to taking kickboxing, JKD and Filipino boxing at the same place.

The way I see it... why not? As long as you are able to successfully blend the training without sabotaging one or the other (Ie, your KF messing up your grappling or your grappling messing up your KF) you'll be OK.

Where do you train in Austin? Always nice to see a fellow Austinite on here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 12:15am

Style: TKD, JKD, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    heh heh
    Welcome to the Dark Side, padawan.
    Damn,and I thought I was the biggest star wars geek here.

..just joking...

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 12:31am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    now you just need to drop your gay kung fu and train in muay thai

and your transformation to the dark side will be... complete!

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 1:35am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't forget to melt your face.

PL

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 8:38am

Style: Northern Mantis & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey CMack, good to see another seven star mantis on this board!!

Im just curious, whats your first form called? is it beng bu?

Anyway, I was the same when i first started bjj (not too long ago actually)...but its a really good complement to mantis, which is primarily striking and making/keeping contact at almost "clinch" range...if the fight goes to the ground, you will be able to still handle it...

I always find it fun to trip/sweep the dudes from kung fu and submit them/get dominant position...makes you feel better about paying twice the amount for training :)

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 9:08am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zid
    That's also the reason why I read and post around here too. That and to avoid being ripped off by so called chi-masters and Bruce Lee wannabes.

Otherwise I'd be getting owned in the streets by 250 lb. bodybuilder just because I know about "pressure points" and chi-kung.
    I guess you wouldn't want to meet me in the streets. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast