Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    7/06/2005 5:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Koto_Ryu
    ^ All I gotta say is nice! Props to her, you must've taught her well :thumbsup: Always love it when the underdog fucks a bitch up.
    Thanks for the comments - I passed the thumbs up along. We had practice Sunday, and she brought her Mom and sister along (they were visiting for the holiday); they're proud, too, I guess. She was showing her sister what she did, turns out it wasn't what I'd thought - kote-mawashi (i.e. nikkyo) instead of kote-gaeshi. She did a better job of improvising; I don't remember working on that as much.

Can't say I've taught her that well. She's got some aggressiveness from playing soccer, and actually has pretty good hips - now that she know a little about what I'm trying to do, it's harder to throw her in randori.

That's the thing about some team sports, like basketball, soccer, etc - they help develop the ability to stand your ground, create space, and help to realize that you really do, sometimes, need to knock a bitch down. Sinks in a little more viscerally; in a way that wasn't developed in the aikido clubs I've trained in (see how I got somewhat back on topic?).

Plus there's the whole chaotic movement thing; keeping track of who around is going to help you, who's going to hurt you.

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    7/06/2005 5:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WarriorOfLuv
    do you still do aikido or did you just stick with judo?
    Not with anyone else, formally. There was an aikido club started in a town about 30 miles way - went to a seminar a couple years back, but the club instructor wasn't much more advanced than myself; couldn't see becoming his student and didn't want to be a pain in the ass.

On the other hand, during "off-season" training, we do have aikido nights. Sometimes, working on ju-no-kata, which involves a lot of exchanges between uke and tori, I'll go off on some random bits of aikido that I'm reminded of by movements in the kata.

Or I'll start with an aiki kokyu-nage and, working through variations, morph it into a judo throw like uki-otoshi (or vice-versa). There's some pretty good throws in aikido, but they seem to get eclipsed by the wristlocks.

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorOfLuv
    nice story btw. unfortunately, people still don't think wristlocks are effective--the guy harassing your student wasn't trained in mma.
    It seems to me, that when I do demonstrate aikido techniques, they come more easily than I remember. I do have a good uke (my senior student) - I tell him to attack me, without telling him what to expect, and he does a good job of taking nice looking ukemi. But sometimes it surprises me how well the techniques seem to work.

I guess I sometimes ambush my students on these nights. When I was regularly practicing aikido, ukes usually knew where they were supposed to go; how they were supposed to fall. Now that I've got access to judoka who know how to fall, but who don't know the aikido techniques themselves, I get to test the aiki stuff a bit.

Perhaps randori has given me a better "feel".

My biggest complaint with aikido is that I was expected to move like Ueshiba did late in his martial arts lifetime, just when I was starting mine. I wasn't being allowed to make the journey he made, just expected to be at the destination.

It seems to me now that aiki is better learned after a solid grounding in ju arts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2005 7:30pm

Style: Daito Ryu, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "It seems to me now that aiki is better learned after a solid grounding in ju arts."

Exactly. Daito Ryu is taught in stages like that. 1st, you learn the jujutsu version of the technique, then the aiki jujutsu version, then finaly the aiki no jutsu version.

Posted On:
    7/06/2005 7:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    ANd how in the **** did you get a hold of my old shorts?
    I'm guessing "Japanese Vending Machine".

Seriously though, and Ken's total lack of tact aside, he is pretty correct here.

Standing wrists locks are ridiculously hard to apply against a resisting opponent unless you have gorilla arms, or dominant position. They are just too easily foiled by pulling the arm back and punching the guy in the face.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2005 1:03am

Style: Dan Zan Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    I have yet to have anyone successfuly use a wrist throw on me. Everytime they try, I just use physical strength to not allow it. Maybe I'm just superstrong, or maybe wristlocks and throws just suck. Plus, the words of Virginia ninjas don't really matter to me anyway.

dont know how much people have talk to you about this, but if you want to disprove that wristlocks are effective then challenge a Dan Zan Ryu 4thdan to do it. if you find one and he cant do it to you, then bow before you because you will have truley impressed me. one from AJJF will do, just tell me thier name first.

and at the very least he would use the failed technique to move into another that will work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2005 2:23am

Style: Taco Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or, if you can't find a DanZanRyu 4th dan, you could always go hang out on the set of a Steven Seagal movie.

I'm sure he'd find the time to put you in a wrist lock, at least when he isn't filming, or getting choked out by Gene LaBell, or getting beat up by stunt men....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2005 2:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did not know Danzan ryu specialized in wrist locks. It didn't for the four years I studied it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2005 3:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i train at bushidokan, they claim that there is ten ways to do everyu wrist lock on the list. maybe its just my professor lague who knows so much. where did you tain for dan zan ryu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2005 3:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Houston area no longer in the system.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2005 3:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    was your instructor a professor or a sensei?