Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 11:05am

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry if I sounded like I was boasting, I know there's harder tests like kyokushin and stuff out there. I'm just telling people what my school does. Technically as far as the WTF is concern if you know your black belt pattern and can spar you can get a black belt. Anyways I admit I am proud of myself, not cuz I think I'm super deadly but that for once in my life I finished a goal of mine. I have found that since taking martial arts I have made a lot more headway in accomplishing my goals. From going to College (which I thought I couldn't afford, or get in to) to gettting a job where I'm treated like a human being. Before this I was lazy and I'd never really try to hard at what I was doing. Personally 4 yrs ago I never thought I'd be able to do half the things on that test. I'm 26 yrs old now, I always thought that you had to start MA as a teen to be any good. Now I think that I'm okay, I seem to be a better teacher than anything, which makes me happy.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 12:09pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope it absolutely infuriates a few people to know I did not test at all for my black belt. There was a small ceremony between me and my master where he presented me with the certificate and the belt. Anything he needed to know had been seen for years prior. Nothing you can come up with in 1 day can compare with what had been endured and learned in the time it took to qualify for the black belt.

Oh yeah, and back in the 90's one of my instructors wanted to charge me $400 for a black belt in TKD. I was like...uhhh... no. **** that. It seems that the Kukkiwon and all these associations are a racket.

Loving Father

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 1:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To put a little perspective on BB testing. . .
    My sensei were very "old school" - I was a white belt for a number of years (8),
    Then one day the sensei walks in, hands a package to the assistant instructor,
    goes to his spot in the front of the class, and kneels down. The assistant opens
    the package, takes out a brown belt, walks over to me and hands it to me. I look
    at the sensei, he nods, I bow, and that was that. Class began soon after.

A few years later, sensei approaches me while I am sweeping up after class,
    "You have earned your shodan. Let me know when you want it."

No test. No cost. No hassle.

Besides, achieving a dan rank means only that you are no longer a beginner, not
    necessarily that you are an expert.

`~/
    Last edited by Meex; 6/21/2005 1:35pm at .

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 1:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meex
    To put a little perspective on BB testing. . .
    My sensei were very "old school" - I was a white belt for a number of years (8),
    Then one day the sensei walks in, hands a package to the assistant instructor,
    goes to his spot in the front of the class, and kneels down. The assistant opens
    the package, takes out a brown belt, walks over to me and hands it to me. I look
    at the sensei, he nods, I bow, and that was that. Class began soon after.

A few years later, sensei approaches me while I am sweeping up after class,
    "You have earned your shodan. Let me know when you want it."

No test. No cost. No hassle.

Besides, achieving a dan rank means only that you are no longer a beginner, not necessarily that you are an expert.

`~/

Ah the good ol days...
    Not grading by committee.

Loving Father

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 1:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For any first degrees that think they're the sh*t. . .
    My son recently tested for his black. His test included a "bull ring" of black belts
    who 'honor' you by not allowing any bs posers into their ranks. If you can't walk
    the walk, don't bother testing. Miss a block, or do not move, you get clocked. The
    bullring goes on until the criteria are met. . .amt of techniques, amt of people, etc.

HIs regular training class included 3rd degrees who are there to train. They have
    5th and 6th degrees to help with the training, and an 8th degree to keep everyone
    motivated. Your bb is respected, because they know you earned it. But, any attitude
    on your part because of it is cause for some training 'lessons' from the higher belts.

Cool atmosphere to train in.
    And, every bb will have 24hr access to the training facility.

`~/

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 5:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, MEEX! What pray tell style did your son passed his shodan .So if I get your explanation strait?When your son was passing he could defend himself,right?He could punch back.

Because I've know of one Kempo Karate school here in Montreal that for Black Belt testing.The student who's passing has to walk down a corridor basically where Black Belts from his school pound him until he passes thru the corridor at the end.Thats when he passes his belt.

Is that what your son's testing was like.

Loving Father

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 6:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    Hey, MEEX! What pray tell style did your son passed his shodan .So if I get your explanation strait?When your son was passing he could defend himself,right?He could punch back.

Because I've know of one Kempo Karate school here in Montreal that for Black Belt testing.The student who's passing has to walk down a corridor basically where Black Belts from his school pound him until he passes thru the corridor at the end.Thats when he passes his belt.

Is that what your son's testing was like.
    That kempo karate tradition is still carried out in some of the old-style kemp/kenpo and kajukenbo schools here in Hawaii. He tested in kajukenbo. He's been training in it for 9 years.

We don't know yet if he has passed. He's lucky he got to test (Two years ago the instructor refused to let 16 of twenty Browns test for black. Some tested last year, a few more this year). Their school tests once a year, in June. Then, they take a break for two weeks and have a promotion night (which is next week).

(You're from Canada, so I'll let you go this time. . .-*lol) A bull ring is a circle of others intent on doing you harm Most times, the ring stays in position, and attacks you one at a time. In my son's case, the one testing chooses the parameters, and the instructor may refuse them - so to wait until the next year. He chose 20 minutes, and/or 70 techniques. The bull ring consisted of 12 bb's, 1st-3rd degrees that continuously circled him, and attacked at random: 1, 2, or 3 at a time. And, YES, he is supposed to defend himself. It is unusual for the testing person to not get pounded in the test, as everyone testing him is better than he is. the purpose is to see how he faces adversity, how he adapts to the environment, and how he adapts his techniques to the ever evolving and changing situation. This, after he has already verbally and in written form demonstrated he knows everything required of him for his shodan.

If he passes. At Promotion night each bb above him will have a chance to pound him the way you described. This will even include their highest ranked gm's and professors who are able to make it, and at least two of the founders of their art, Sijo Emperado, and Frank Ordonez.

`~/
    Last edited by Meex; 6/21/2005 6:46pm at .

Genius

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 7:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People actually pay big money for the priviledge of being called "black belt" huh? My brother quit TKD before taking his BB test because they wanted $500. He was winning tournaments at the BB level representing his school, and they wanted him to pay. They should've been paying him for getting his school's name out there.

I think TKD schools are the worst as far as fees go.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 10:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Roberto Traven BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ahhh the good ol black belt test.

105 degree heat index on an August day running approx 2 miles outside on black top, then stair sprints inside.

No one there but the Chief Instructor and an assistant. I think the test lasted about a little over 3 hrs. The instructors were trying as hard as they could to make us quit and give up.

Of course the full contact sparring that last lasted until you could not go any more came at the very end..

No panel, no money.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 10:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You do all that in wushu?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast