Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 12:12am

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FCTKD
    Only costed me like $300
    holy **** that seems pretty high. but i have never priced testing for a tkd black belt.

in every black belt test i have seen (2 tkd and 1 hapkido) there is a ton of "warm up" exercises. the tkd guys puked from the sprints. that was followed by techniques/forms, and then sparing with the instructors. every school is different i suppose.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 12:14am

Style: TKD, JKD, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only costed me like $300 but I had a dicount of sorts since I teach there. Usually $500 do get 2 months free training after.
    Most I heard the tkd schools here are around $200

No longer a Kaju-Critic

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 6:28am

supporting member
     Style: Kajukenbo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    red flags should be blaring in your mind right now dude.

My last test I had to do 12 2 minute rounds, all strikes and surfaces allowed medium - semi hard contact. And we grappled.

seriously, your black belt test sounds like a cakewalk.

and it only cost 40$. black belt tests are 50$.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 8:41am

Style: Hapkido, Caique BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Am I the only one who gets tired of black belt test dick-swinging? You train hard. You train long. You get your black belt. The next day, you train hard. If your instructor isn't sure whether you've earned a black belt by the time you are informed it is your time to test, no test measured in hours, days or weeks is going to make one goddamn bit of difference and you shouldn't be testing in the first place. I would respect an instructor a hell of a lot more if he just came up to you after a good training session with a plain black belt and said "Here, you've earned it. Congratulations." A couple handshakes, a couple manly hugs, and you show up for your next training session with a crisp new belt desperately in need of some breaking in. This "Trial" mentality for black belt testing is IMO a big part of the problem in martial arts today, and whose trial was longer, or harder, or what was included, or what was missing--just get a ruler and whip your dicks out and get with the measuring.

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 9:02am

Style: TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not about dick-measuring. Nobody's boasting how hard or long their *ahem* gradings are. It's just a formalised ritual that a lot of arts go through, as a "last hurdle". I don't see a problem with people sharing their experiences here; he took his BB test, felt like talking about it, and that's cool. It's not like he's saying he's fucking deadly because he took a 4hr test.
    Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all **** like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
    I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
    what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 9:12am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by myrddin
    Am I the only one who gets tired of black belt test dick-swinging? You train hard. You train long. You get your black belt. The next day, you train hard. If your instructor isn't sure whether you've earned a black belt by the time you are informed it is your time to test, no test measured in hours, days or weeks is going to make one goddamn bit of difference and you shouldn't be testing in the first place. I would respect an instructor a hell of a lot more if he just came up to you after a good training session with a plain black belt and said "Here, you've earned it. Congratulations." A couple handshakes, a couple manly hugs, and you show up for your next training session with a crisp new belt desperately in need of some breaking in. This "Trial" mentality for black belt testing is IMO a big part of the problem in martial arts today, and whose trial was longer, or harder, or what was included, or what was missing--just get a ruler and whip your dicks out and get with the measuring.
    Absolutely! Finally somebody said it. And DEPENDING UPON THE ART, it should be based more on tournament performance than some silly test.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 9:21am

Style: Hapkido, Caique BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Re: lifetime

Really?

"My last test I had to do 12 2 minute rounds, all strikes and surfaces allowed medium - semi hard contact. And we grappled"

"in every black belt test i have seen (2 tkd and 1 hapkido) there is a ton of "warm up" exercises. the tkd guys puked from the sprints. "

"each one of my judo promotions took at least 5 hrs"

"I don't want to sound condescending, but you know, that doesn't look terribly intense at all for a black belt test."

"My current school requires FIVE 2-minute rounds of stand-up followed by THREE 6-minute rounds of grappling...in addition to all the techniques, pushups/sit-ups, woodbreaking, etc."

That doesn't even get me to the original poster, who felt the need to inform us of every minutae of his test, and the thread isn't even two full pages as of this writing. I'm not saying every one of these quotes is dick-swinging, and there have been some productive responses, but by and large "formalized rituals" that usually end up costing a premium amounts . . . for what? To solidify your status as "elite", in your mind? When I train in Hapkido, any respect originating from the color of my belt comes from the years of training and ability in execution, not whether my test was three hours, or four hours or two weeks. The color means essentially that someone should be able to ask me a basic question, and I should have a reasonable chance of knowing the answer. To that end, if an instructor wants to make sure you have a certain amount of academic knowledge on top of the skill set (and whatever necessary physical conditioning he requires) you should already have, I get that, but most of the rest is junk, and may be indicative of an instructor who prioritizes either ego or ritual over what you do on the mat every time you train. Which is more important?
    Last edited by myrddin; 6/21/2005 9:23am at .

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 9:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My ITF BB Test:

ALL forms
    ALL 3 step/2 step and 1 step sparring
    3 rounds x 3 min semi contact sparring ( to show control)
    3 rounds x 5 min sparring hard contact with Black Belts
    Breaking - singles and combinations never any less than 4 boards.

Teach a whole class.

Time: don't know, don't care, but I guess 3 hours in total.

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 10:02am

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Te No Kage!
    dude, a single five-hour session for a Judo promotion? What the hell are you doing for five hours? You can't grapple consistently for five hours, that's crazy. And there are only so many throws you can do which don't take that long to do them all, unless you are doing paired kata over and over, I can see how that might take up some time, but jeez!
    Written test (1/2 hr)

Kohaku shiai, you keep getting matches as long as you keep winning by ippon, that's one for some, five-six for others.

Demonstration - throws, pins, chokes, locks

Kata

Regular shiai (you keep getting matches as long as you keep winning, so you can get up to 10 matches)

USJF promotions are centralized so there's a lot of people from PA,MD,DC,VA all in one spot.

You come in at 8-9am to weigh in and leave at 5-6pm

And yeah, it's not 5 hrs straight judo, there's waiting times in between.

Tomas
    Current stage of death: denial

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 10:07am

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only costed me like $300 but I had a dicount of sorts since I teach there. Usually $500 do get 2 months free training after. Funny cuz my boss only clears like a hundred and forty of that at most, the rest are crazy WTF and alberta TKD association and CTA fees. You do get a nifty card for your wallet from WTF and a nice big plaque. Still a rip off though
    $30 for judo promotion.
    Can't beat that:))

Tomas
    Current stage of death: denial
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast