222019 Bullies, 4116 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 21 to 30 of 31
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. antman is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    1,034

    Posted On:
    6/23/2005 9:47pm


     Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Strong Machine
    I'd feel like a wussy if I left a streetfight without a damaged knuckle.
    I'd be happy...... unless I got my ass handed to me.
    "Its not important to be strong, its just important not to be weak."
  2. Alhazred is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    47

    Posted On:
    6/23/2005 11:01pm


     Style: Uechi-Ryu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not much of a puncher myself...my punches suck, I would favor the palm to the chin or nose in a swinging motion.
  3. Meex is offline
    Meex's Avatar

    Loving Father

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    3,001

    Posted On:
    6/24/2005 2:23am

    supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A palm heel strike is not a "soft" strike (well, not the way y'all are talkin' 'bout it).
    Besides, strictly speaking a hammerfist is a hard strike with a soft part of the body.
    In these types of discussions, those who know what they are talking about can probably
    effect soft strikes anytime. the rest wouldn't know what one was to save their life. It is
    possible to have a hard attack with an open hand, and a soft attack with a fist

    `~/
    Last edited by Meex; 6/24/2005 2:26am at .
  4. core is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Kiruna, Sweden
    Posts
    7

    Posted On:
    6/24/2005 2:31am


     Style: Shootfighting

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the palm is bloody hard. In a bare knuckle fight i prefer using palm strikes to the head so not to injure my hand. If you dont have strong wrists there's a risk that a skew cloesed fist shot to the head will

    1. damage your wrist.
    2. bust you knuckles.

    Also, in tight spots, clinches of whatever a open palm strike will give you a couple of more inches of traveling, thus impacting with more power.

    Also, look at Bas Ruttens Pancrase career, dont remember which match but in it he utilized an open palm upper cut with VERY good result.
  5. Gypsy Jazz is offline
    Gypsy Jazz's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    959

    Posted On:
    6/24/2005 2:48am


     Style: Does exercise count?

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meex
    A palm heel strike is not a "soft" strike (well, not the way y'all are talkin' 'bout it).
    Besides, strictly speaking a hammerfist is a hard strike with a soft part of the body. /
    All this time when I heard palm strike I simply assumed that whoever was talking meant palm heel. It is probably ignorant on my part to assume anything at all really, but it just doesn't make sense to me why anyone would hit with any other part of the palm. Anything else I would consider more of a slap, and probably not worth it.

    From what I've been told (and I don't know if this is true or not) palm heels are a very safe way of striking to the head because you are hitting with a solid surface that doesn't have many small bones prone to breaking. Maybe my punches suck, or my palm heels are good (both maybe?), but my bag seem to react just about the same to either.

    Perhaps one more knowledgable on the matter could enlighten me some.
  6. Meex is offline
    Meex's Avatar

    Loving Father

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    3,001

    Posted On:
    6/24/2005 2:03pm

    supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Jazz
    All this time when I heard palm strike I simply assumed that whoever was talking meant palm heel. It is probably ignorant on my part to assume anything at all really, but it just doesn't make sense to me why anyone would hit with any other part of the palm. Anything else I would consider more of a slap, and probably not worth it.

    From what I've been told (and I don't know if this is true or not) palm heels are a very safe way of striking to the head because you are hitting with a solid surface that doesn't have many small bones prone to breaking. Maybe my punches suck, or my palm heels are good (both maybe?), but my bag seem to react just about the same to either.

    Perhaps one more knowledgable on the matter could enlighten me some.
    You are correct in what you say. And by the reaction on your bag, you found the same thing. . .that palm hell strikes are not soft strikes. When I wrote that, i was mostly commenting on BatRonin's "soft -vs- hard" response, which I should have quoted.:
    Quote Originally Posted by BatRonin
    Quote Originally Posted by skanlessflipboy
    If using a closed fist the target should be 'soft' i.e. belly. If targeting something hard, use the open hand because if you hit the target hard enough you have a chance of injuring yourself. His logic is that as todlers we didn't crawl with our fists, but our open hands.
    This is a take on "old school" Goju with their Hard VS Soft philosophy:
    Hard targer - soft weapon and vice-versa.
    My commentary was toward soft strikes not necessarily being done with soft tissue areas. That is not the nature of what makes thm "soft."

    Besides, there are many other useful aspects to using your palm as a weapon.
    Hard weapons tend to have jarring impact(s), while soft weapons will tend to have absorbing impact(s). In your earlier post you mention hitting a bag with your palm. the more relevant technique would be to hit something hard with your palm (a rock, a wall, a desk).

    `~/
    Last edited by Meex; 6/24/2005 2:05pm at .
  7. ImAlrdyNum is offline
    ImAlrdyNum's Avatar

    aahhh...the colors

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    633

    Posted On:
    6/24/2005 2:08pm

    supporting member
     Style: Judo & Sub Wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I prefer the "cupping open hand" blow to the ear, as well as a well placed "bitch slap". Fear me.
    Regardless, that doesn't change the fact that kickboxing is commonly known as fighting while grappling simply isn't. - Osiris
  8. Meex is offline
    Meex's Avatar

    Loving Father

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    3,001

    Posted On:
    6/24/2005 2:32pm

    supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ImAlrdyNum
    I prefer the "cupping open hand" blow to the ear, as well as a well placed "bitch slap". Fear me.
    Deacon Jones used to break helmets with a 'palm strike' - destroying many an eardrums in the process.

    `~/
  9. Mr. Mantis is offline
    Mr. Mantis's Avatar

    One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    under the sink
    Posts
    6,338

    Posted On:
    6/24/2005 2:40pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been on the receiving end of both palm strikes and punches to the head. Both have sent me down. FWIW.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.
  10. Shillelagh is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    182

    Posted On:
    6/24/2005 3:04pm


     Style: Jujitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What exactly makes a strike "soft," anyway? I've never really understood that.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.