Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/20/2005 2:25am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and then some

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, you were not learning BJJ. You were learning a hodge podge of kenpo and things that were most likely learned from books.

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    6/20/2005 12:45pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think we could have a 135lbs hedgehodge kick their beloved instructors ass in a fight- and I think hes a blue belt in BJJ. (He apparently has a knack for Kung Fu guys)

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    6/20/2005 1:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for sharing your story Nikyu. So, how did you quit it?
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 9:45am

Style: kung-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi there, how did I quit??? Well, you have to remmeber that when I wes there the C.O.R.E. didn't exist...whats that all about anyway? I just made an appt. with one of my former instructors, he was the head instructor at Berkeley at the time, and I was currently participating in a black balt class with about 20 other students, this was in addition to my private lessons. The "special" class didn't come without a price of course, I don't remember the exact price, but it was in the hundreds. Anyway, I just sat down with the head instructor and told him that I just couldn't do it anymore.....I was $15,000 in debt, the commute was killing me, my knees were shot, pain at this point was just a way of life for me, and I told him that it wasn't fun anymore...i am sure he considered all this just a bunch of lame excuses, but he didn't say that. He was one of my first teachers, and I would like to think we had a bond of some sort, and he was very understanding. I shook his hand...held back the tears...and walked out the doors of westwind for the last time....I cried all the way home that night....I was torn, I loved the art of karate, the intensity, the forms and weapons katas....it was a rush, my tears weren't for the students or teachers I would miss, they were for me...I had failed.

I tried to get started with another school closer to home, that was more affordable, but the 500 techniques and 20 or so katas in my head just messed things up, I would start on a new kata I had learned....then drift into one I alreayd knew, and I think I made them a bit uncomfortable...I was so used to the rigidness of westwind, I remember a teacher having to remind me numerous times that I could call her by her first name....instead of yelling YES MAM......and YES SIR.

Westwind used to be about the art, then they became all about the money...everything came with a cost...tournaments, weapons classes, black belt demos, and if ever you said you just couldn't afford to attend, then you were told you weren't a good student, and a bad influence on other students. We were told that the higher ranks had to set an example for the lower ranked students.

Anyway, I suppose I could bore the hell out of all of you and tell you of my last couple years with westwind, but whats the point...bottom line is I got out....got out of westwind...got out of my failing marraige...met a wonderful Englishman on the internet, downloaded him from England to California...moved to Texas, got married, and now have a beautiful 6 month old baby boy. It's taken me the last couple years to get westwind out of my head, they were so much a part of my life. I used to have the weirdest dreams about the school, and even they have stopped now. If any of you have any questions, feel free to ask, and I will do my best to answer them......cheers, folks....nikyu

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 9:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi nikyu, thanks for the insight.

Did you have to do sparring at West Wind? If so, I wondered what the rules were.

Cheers,
    AS

PS. Congrats on the baby.
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 10:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sparring didn't start until the purple belt, and it was non-contact, we most commonly did 3 point temple boxing. When you got to the blue belt you had to do full contact, it was part of the test for that belt. I loved full contact, and didn't care for the restrictions of non-contact.

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 10:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you did "full contact", what were the target areas and what types of attack/defence were allowed?
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 1:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With the full contact, it was pretty much anything goes, although of course you weren't allowed to try to kick the knees...but sweeping was fine. We were encoureged to go for head shots, and body shots. I found it kind of strange...after having learned all these great defensive techniques...when it came to sparring it was basically a street fight, with the exception of making use of the blocking techniques I had learned. I was never really good at sparring, so perhaps I was just doing it wrong. I loved the contact, but really wanted no part of anybody sweeping my knees, and actually got into trouble in a class when I refused to participate in that area....lol. I apologize if I have not really answered your question properly.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 1:46pm

supporting member
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikyu
    I loved full contact, and didn't care for the restrictions of non-contact.
    Yessssssss, you'll fit in fine here.
    I dork harder than any of you can imagine.

- Hedgehoney

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 1:52pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What you exoperienced is not sparring wrong, but the reality that sparring is HARD. Fighting well is HARD. Doing anything but the simplest, most basic techniques (i.e. punches and simple kicks) requires enormous skill and years of practice.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast