Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2005 8:40pm

Style: TKD BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Weechy, why not do both?
    Actually, I do try to go to both classes...it's just that I was making it a point to go to the same number of each. I found that I really liked the gi chokes (believe me, it wasn't me giving them, it was me getting choked out), and it seemed that using the gi gave me a better understanding of some of the mechanics of techniques, etc. So I decided to go more often to gi classes, though every once in a while, when my schedule permits, I'll go to a no-gi class (maybe once a month or so). When I feel a bit more comfortable with gi, I plan to start going to more no-gi classes, but I think that will take me another year or so.

I'm not sure if this is the experience of other folks starting out in BJJ...but I felt like I was getting the basics more when I'm doing primarily gi training, and those times I do go to a no-gi class, I can "see" a little easier what I need to do to make a move work.

Not that it matters - I still get beat up a lot in class :laughing7

Professional Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    6/19/2005 9:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Pro-Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes do both.Become halfass at two things.
    Ok maybe thats harsh.But the title says "FOR MMA".
    Some of you seem more interested in becoming a good grappler or able at self-defense which are fine goals, but a seperate topic.
    Training in a gi with your goal being MMA is madness.

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    6/19/2005 9:54pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Strong Machine
    Thats debatable- I guess it depends entirely on how much experience you have. Its easier to force someone to use technique rather than strength when they're wearing the gi. Many Jiu Jitsu fighters in MMA today didnt start no gi until after they were black belts, although I dont know that they started BJJ with the intentions of being a MMA fighter.

Assuming you have the basics, then yes I agree- the gi really doesnt have much to offer in the way of MMA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2005 10:48pm

Style: TKD BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Strong Machine
    Yes do both.Become halfass at two things.
    Ok maybe thats harsh.But the title says "FOR MMA".
    Some of you seem more interested in becoming a good grappler or able at self-defense which are fine goals, but a seperate topic.
    All right...so let's say you got a guy like me who has a reasonable amount of striking experience, but wants to improve his ground game eventually for MMA (not necessarily professional level). One thing I noticed with no-gi is that even against the experienced guys, I was able to hold my own a little better, if only because I would rely on physical strength, or because I was more slippery. I still got tooled, but ended up relying on my strengths instead of improving my weaknesses.

So even for MMA, and assuming noobie skills in grappling like mine, wouldn't gi training improve your technical game faster so that the transition to no-gi is easier?

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    6/19/2005 11:44pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by weechey
    All right...so let's say you got a guy like me who has a reasonable amount of striking experience, but wants to improve his ground game eventually for MMA (not necessarily professional level). One thing I noticed with no-gi is that even against the experienced guys, I was able to hold my own a little better, if only because I would rely on physical strength, or because I was more slippery. I still got tooled, but ended up relying on my strengths instead of improving my weaknesses.

So even for MMA, and assuming noobie skills in grappling like mine, wouldn't gi training improve your technical game faster so that the transition to no-gi is easier?
    It should. I trained gi only for three years before I started going to no-gi class. There was definitely a rough introductory period, but with a little help from some friends I caught up.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2005 2:20am

Style: Judohaus (ex beejayjay)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the feedback fellas
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12