Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    6/17/2005 1:30am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    So, JKD, after three years, are you humble?
    Nope. I just conceal it better.

Thanks guys. I personally thought I was being a self-indulgent, bragging twit. But I BUGS me, when people who call themselves warriors aren't willing to bleed for it.
    Last edited by JKDChick; 6/17/2005 1:33am at .
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Loving Father

Posted On:
    6/17/2005 1:30am

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Repulsive Monkey
    Nice post.

Man walk on road. Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk down middle, sooner or later, get squished just like grape. Same here. You karate do "yes," or karate do "no." You karate do "guess so," just like grape. Understand?
    Grape not hit back!

`~/

btw - JKDC. . .Big Ups!
    Last edited by Meex; 6/17/2005 1:34am at .

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    6/17/2005 1:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never met her, can't comment. But since Phil's post are on his physical limits, I can giggle when I think of his Milton-esque physique and personality.

I can sympathize with her about training hard though, tonight I helped my old Master train two of his best students, a 1st and a 2nd degree. They both collapsed, but got back up when he beat them with a stick. The 1st degree was brought to tears 4-5 times, and both crawled off the mat. I can only imagine the will.
    Last edited by feedback; 6/17/2005 1:34am at .
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    6/17/2005 1:35am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If crush grape properly, no can defense!
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    6/17/2005 1:57am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uh, just a little warning. I really don't want a thread about my sex life at the moment, so if this turns into a cyber-****-fest, I'll lock it.

But I do thank everyone who's reacted positively to me ranting and bragging. For the record, I'm not tough. I just love fighting, and training.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2005 2:34am

Style: Liquid Schwartz

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kudos on your rant over at E-Budo JKDC. Your emasculation of Phat Phuck Phil through your own accomplishments is outfuckingstanding.

Franco

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2005 6:52am

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    Uh, just a little warning. I really don't want a thread about my sex life at the moment, so if this turns into a cyber-****-fest, I'll lock it.
    Yeah, that's my fault. I just wanted to bring Red Sonja into this.

But, before you threaten to lock me girl, remember, I have fought 170 men. Only one has survived and he has no legs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2005 7:04am

Style: Longfist, Hong Fist, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

yes and no

Lo.

Firstly I must say 'respec' for your highly personal, well thought out and emotionally charged post. You got balls JKD, and I don't care who knows it :occasion1

But I have to ask: why in god's name did you keep training on a broken rib?

The reason why I ask is because it links to a realisation that I had quite recently.

Last year I sprained my ankle quite badly. I got it looked after by those who know about such things but I just missed training so much that I came back before I was supposed to. Also I tried to come back in with the same leve of drive and commitment that I'd had when I left. :5dunce:

The result was that I fucked up my ankle again, properly this time. Now 18 months later I'm still struggling with it. I am back in training and I've just passed my latest grading (barely) but things would have been so much better if I had just listened to what my body was telling me the first time around.

In our class we have a motto: if you start to bleed, stop doing what your doing.

The point is that there are two ways of pushing yourself: there is pushing yourself to build yourself up and there is pushing yourself that just breaks you down. At the point where you start bleeding you are not promoting growth you are just dealing damage.

Now naturally there are points where you keep going in spite of blood or pain or whatever (gradings, initiations, special training sessions, actual fights etc). But in those situations you accept that you are dealng damage to your body for a greater cause that has nothing to do with gaining strength.

Now the problem is that most people don't push themselves so an important part of MA is teaching you to break through our sociallr-constructed ideas of what our limits are. But beyond that there is another level. If you keep pushing yourself you will eventually come to a point where you can break yourself just by pushing too hard.

I have done so many squats that I was unable to walk (actually unable to walk) and I had to get some heavy, prescription anti-inflammatories to set me right.
    I have done so many push ups that I pulled a muscle in my arm and couldnt do any for months.

It has taken me 3 injuries to learn that there IS a thing is pushing yourself too hard.

I'm not saying that you necessarily push yourself too hard but I am interested to know what you guys think.

Can you traing too hard?

ciao

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2005 7:06am

Style: Daito Ryu, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great post on e-budo! That which does not kil us makes us stronger.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast