Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2005 1:14pm

Style: Aikido, Boxing, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A report and some questions.

So I found a MMA place close to my house and thought I'd go check it out. I was impressed that a school that turned out professional fighters was so close. Some bullshidoka may be familiar with some names.

Jorge Masvidal, who fought and won in the AFC 12 against our very own Joe Lauzon trains here.

Perhaps the most familiar name is Charles McCarthy, for a less flattering reason. He was the one that got taken out by the spinning back kick in the last UFC.

The school is headed by David and Marcos Avellan plus some other talented fighters. David apparently beat Rener Gracie in the Ultimate Submission Showdown. Both brothers have amassed a fairly large amount of titles.

The school is called the "Freestyle Fighting Academy" and teaches a mix of Ju jitsu, wrestling, and kickboxing in what they call freestyle fighting. I was greatly tempted and decided to check it out for myself.

I went to check it out Tuesday. I spoke to David and told him my background and interests. He set up a sample lesson for later that very same day. I noted that he was very polite and helpful. There were 6 new students taking a lesson that day. He split us into pairs and started showing us some basic manuvers. We learned about the guard, and he taught us one sweep from the guard, as well as the armbar and I think the kimura. Then he taught us two mount escapes, one guard pass, the side mount, and an armbar from the side. He told us that usually they don't go over so many techniques in one session, but he just wanted us to get a taste of submission grappling, as it would be the most complicated aspect of what they taught at the school.

So now I get to go in and take classes for the next 30 days free. He also gave us a T-shirt and shorts which was pretty cool. He was very laid back and I was pleased that he put us under no pressure or obligation at all, unlike a couple of other places I tried out. I'm going back today to see what the actual group classes are like. He told me that they spar at the end of every class and when I had observed the class from our introductory lesson, I noticed the partnered drills definately looked alive.

The one thing I was not so hot on was that some classes were only open to those in a BlackBelt Club (more advanced classes) and that it cost extra to join. I don't know if that is something to worry about.

The only other question I have is about the cost. The price is around 90 a month. Do any of you have any opinions on whether or not that is a reasonable price?

Well that's it from me, any input is appreciated.

Posted On:
    6/16/2005 1:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Free classes for 30 days ?
    SWEET !!!!!!!!!!!
    90 bucks for all that? good stuff.

Posted On:
    6/16/2005 1:24pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, "Black Belt Clubs" are a tool used by even legitimate instructors to make more money. Nobody has an issue with that, it's just likely that the instructor isn't aware of the bad rap the program gets because of most schools with a "BBC" using it to sell belts and milk their students dry.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2005 1:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for so swiftly adressing my concerns Ronin and Phrost, I guess i'll be adding MMA to my style field.

Edit: Sorry website with instructer listings and videos : www.floridamartialarts.com
    Last edited by Akurra; 6/16/2005 2:19pm at .

UFC Fighter

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 9:16am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA, No-Gi Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FFA is badass.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2005 11:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If J-Lau says it's badass, that's all I need to hear.

On thursday we rolled at the end of class and I had gotten my ass handed to me by a couple of 16 y/o's who I outweighed by at least 20-25 lbs. Afterwards I was ready to hurl. This place is gonna be good.