Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2005 10:28am

Style: Shotokan?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shotokan Karate? Help.

First off, I want to apologize if this isn't quite the section where a topic like this would go. I want some opinions on Shotokan Karate. I hear alot about Kyokushin, but apparently, there are no dojos in Louisiana that offer instruction.

Firstly, how do the principles or technique differ from Kyokushin? How is Kyokushin superior? This could be "Style vs. Style", as in how a Kyokushin karateka would measure up against a Shotokan -- But I more want how the arts differ. I've tried searching the web, and the short descriptions I find are basically identical.

Secondly, does this seem like a "McDojo"? http://www.lka-karate.com/Mikami.htm . Is anybody here in this school? It's the hub of the ASKF (All South Karate Federation) and I heard Mikami offers instruction himself. Looks pretty solid, but if it's a hoax and somebody has had a bad experience, I don't want to waste my time or money.

Thanks in advance.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/16/2005 10:50am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's quite simple really. Kyokushin = hardcore sparring, Shotokan != hardcore sparring. That's the big difference. Coincidentally, the most important thing about MA is the sparring. So don't opt for the "2nd place" MA here.

As to the specific school, I can't say. They say that "unlike most MA, we don't thrust you into sparring" which is total BS, because in every MA I've taken so far, they always taught me basics before letting me spar anyway. So, since they have to actually SAY that, I am assuming that you won't be sparring any time soon (i.e. your lifetime), or if you do, it will be pansie sparring. BUT, I am only inferring from what I see. Go to the school and ask them "so... how long before you actually have to spar?" say "have to" instead of "get to", so you don't seem like you're just there to fight, even if you are. :P And watch their sparring classes to see how much contact they use, and how often they spar.

PL

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2005 10:55am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That doesn't look too Mcdojo-ish, but it does look like a traditional JKA style Shotokan school.
    This will probably mean lots of marching back and forward performing techniques in the air, with an emphasis on really precise movements, exact traditional stances and kata.
    You may or may not do a lot of sparring. This really depends on the club. The "free" sparring will probably be JKA style shobu ippon, 1 point stuff. Moderate contact, light to the head. No clinching, knees, low kicks or fighting on the ground, though footsweeps and certain throws may be common.
    Most Shotokan clubs practice lots of really lame 1 and 3 step pre-arranged sparring. Some even restrict students to this type of stuff until 1st Kyu or 1st Dan level!
    You might find they practice other types of sparring, but in my experience of trad Shotokan schools, I doubt it.

There won't be much of any conditioning. If any it'll be pressups, situps and the like.

People consider Kyokushin to be superior as they work on a lot of conditioning and spar with a much higher level of contact, within a far less restrictive ruleset.
    In terms of technique, both styles are very similar. In fact the founder of Kyokushin was a Shotokan dan grade. They both contain the same strikes and blocks, it's just really the way they approach training that differs.

You might get lucky and find a Shotokan coach that likes to mix it up and try different things, but I really doubt it in a JKA affiliated school!

But, YMMV. Give it a try and see what you think.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    6/16/2005 11:27am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    structure -or- free flow,
    control -or- contact,
    meditation -or- conditioning,
    hands at waist -or- protecting face,
    wide stance -or- boxing stance,
    tradition -or- cutting edge,
    "deadliness" -or- competition.

Karate-do forced me to make these choices.
    Karate-do is left, my new styles are right.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2005 11:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not "settling" for 2nd best, really. There are no Kyokushin schools down here in Southern Louisiana. I'm looking in this phone book, and the rest of the schools are like "Cardio Ninja Karate!" and show a picture of a little kid with headgear on.

I'll ask about the sparring. That's interesting that Kyokushin and Shotokan are so parallel.

I hope it's legitimate. I really want to participate in a legitmate Karate dojo. I like the fundamentals. Wouldn't mind being a crappy, stiff and rigid Karateka.

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    6/16/2005 11:40am

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.lka-karate.com/Images/Registration2005.pdf
    KUMITE RULES
    1. MIRROR SYSTEM: 1 REFEREE
    1 JUDGE
    1 ARBITRATOR
    2. NO FACE OR HEAD CONTACT. LIGHT CONTACT TO BODY ALLOWED.
    3. THREE (3) POINT MATCH -TWO (2) MINUTES.
    ALL SCORES ONE (1) POINT (IPPON), WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE BLACK BELT DIVISION,
    WHICH WILL USE 1/2 POINT (WAZARI) AND 1/2 POINT PENALTIES.
    4. PERIOD OF TWO (2) MINUTES. HIGHEST SCORER IS THE WINNER.
    5. TIE: SUDDEN DEATH (FIRST POINT, INCLUDING PENALTY POINTS).
    6. OUT OF RING: 1ST WARNING - (JOGAI)
    2ND WARNING - OPPONENT 1/2 POINT (JOGAI KEIKOKU)
    3RD WARNING - OPPONENT 1 POINT (JOGAI CHUI)
    4TH WARNING - DISQUALIFIED (JOGAI HANSOKU)
    7. PENALTIES: EXCESSIVE CONTACT /VIOLATION - DISQUALIFICATON (HANSOKU)
    1ST MINOR CONTACT/VIOLATION - WARNING
    2ND MINOR CONTACT/VIOLATION - OPPONENT 1/2 POINT (KEIKOKU)
    3RD MINOR CONTACT/VIOLATION - OPPONENT 1 POINT (CHUI)
    4TH MINOR CONTACT/VIOLATION - DISQUALIFICATION (HANSOKU)
    8. ALL PENALTIES ARE CARRIED INTO OVERTIME.
    9. PROHIBITED TECHNIQUES, INTENTIONAL ATTACKS DIRECTED TO LIMBS, JOINTS, FACE ETC.,
    DANGEROUS TECHNIQUES OR UNSPORTSMAN LIKE CONDUCT - PENALTY TO BE DETERMINED
    BY OFFICIALS.
    10. PROTECTIVE GEAR FOR CHILDREN ALLOWED, i.e., SHIN GUARD, HEAD GEAR. LIGHT PROTECTIVE
    GEAR FOR ADULTS. ALL CONTESTANTS MUST WEAR A MOUTH PIECE AND LIGHT GLOVES.
    They run a light contact to the body only kumite tournament where you have to wear gloves.
    Frankly this sounds like it could be awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2005 11:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm now convinced there are absolutely no good dojos in Louisiana.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2005 11:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish this book listed the styles. Instead of just "Red Dragon Karate Academy", they'd actually have the style they're attempting to bastardize. They have an Aikido school (www.aikidoneworleans.com) that's website looks pretty legitimate. So does the pricing. Is Aikido a grappling martial art? I'm not too familiar with it.

Slim pickings, here. Is anybody down here in the Southern US that can vouch for a school?

Posted On:
    6/16/2005 11:56am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by One Hit Combo
    I'm now convinced there are absolutely no good dojos in Louisiana.
    It looks like a decent school -- commercial but not McDojo. It might, at the very least, be a decent place to start until you find something more suitable or something in which to cross train. The phone book isn't the only directory -- check out local recreation centers, gyms, etc. Sometimes you can find good instructors that aren't "in the book".

And give the shcool a fair shake. Tell them what you want. Try a class. Tell them you are interested in full/higher contact and realistic fighting technique, and see what they say.

-daGorilla

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2005 11:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the help, guys. I'm going to catch a bite, and go watch Batman Begins. Sit in the class this evening.

Guess I'll report my experience considering I love you all now.

Later.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast