6/15/2005 9:11pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

White people try to be Chinese

'The martial arts are in my blood'

June 13. 2005 8:00AM

Without kung fu, I would probably still be a spoiled little brat that made fun of people and had no boundaries, no discipline. My speech would be fumbling. Heck, I'd probably be out of school. My life was a wreck before I was in the martial arts.

People come (to the club) to learn how to defend themselves. Or, they come in for the social part of it. But, mostly, they come because they see us walking around the school and they're like, "Hey, that's interesting, I want to do that." My job as an assistant instructor is to show them the life and the way and the philosophy of the martial arts.

It gives people a big boost. It makes them feel a part of something. Many people who come in here are made fun of. Then you see them walk out of here with a new friend. I've seen it many times. Their social skills go way up. They leave calmer and happier. I guess it attracts the people who need the most help.

And they get that help.

My No. 1 fear about this is that people are going to abuse the stuff that I am giving them. I'm teaching martial arts. This is some pretty dangerous stuff. So, if you're basically giving someone a weapon, you need to make sure that they are going to be safe with it.

And I make sure of that. If we find out that anyone is misusing kung fu, then they are kicked out of the club.
    I have never had to use kung fu and I hope to God that I will never have to. I don't encourage fighting.

Fighting is wrong.

That's why I need to be a good role model. If the way I walk influences someone, then I'd better watch the way that I walk. I check in on my students daily to see if anyone is bugging them or whatever. I want to stop the bullet before it releases. I know teachers are very busy. They can't sit down with everyone and talk about their lives. Teachers' jobs are to teach and to do a little bit of mentoring. I try to help these people by going up to them and saying "Okay, how's your life going?"

And, if they're having a hard time, I'll say, "What's wrong? Do you want to talk about it?" And maybe we can avoid a bad situation.

The martial arts are in my blood. I've promised myself and God that I will never leave this because I love it so much. It's basically what keeps me going. It's my fuel. It's my passion. It's my life.

But look at the photos at the original article!

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/p...TORY/506130319
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/15/2005 10:25pm

supporting member
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I check in on my students daily to see if anyone is bugging them or whatever. I want to stop the bullet before it releases. I know teachers are very busy. They can't sit down with everyone and talk about their lives. Teachers' jobs are to teach and to do a little bit of mentoring. I try to help these people by going up to them and saying "Okay, how's your life going?"

And, if they're having a hard time, I'll say, "What's wrong? Do you want to talk about it?" And maybe we can avoid a bad situation.
    What would you do if your instructor or coach did this to you?

"Hey, there, buddy. Hey, pal. What's up? Let's rap."

"What are we, girlfriends?"
    I dork harder than any of you can imagine.

- Hedgehoney

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    6/15/2005 10:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

wants jade ring

Posted On:
    6/15/2005 10:52pm

supporting member
     Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Am I missing something here? How does wearing a gi make you want to be chinese?

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    6/15/2005 11:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that's Piz' interpretation of the headline of that story.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    6/16/2005 1:10am

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My No. 1 fear about this is that people are going to abuse the stuff that I am giving them. I'm teaching martial arts. This is some pretty dangerous stuff. So, if you're basically giving someone a weapon, you need to make sure that they are going to be safe with it.

The fear explained:

I have never had to use kung fu and I hope to God that I will never have to.
    Wow, it's just too much.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/16/2005 1:17am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is that some new type of training technique? Injecting Martal Arts into your blood, kind of like how Neo did it in the Matrix, but faster?

PL

**** you math class

Posted On:
    6/16/2005 1:41am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is martial arts like heroin? What's the street price?

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/16/2005 1:56am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You won't find them on the street. Only invincible thugs who scoff at your proved methods and grappling and kill you with the most sloppy punches dwell there.

PL

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    6/16/2005 9:10am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love these people

"You're giving them a weapon"

Yeah, you're building them into a serious bad ass......

"i've never had to use my kung fu, and I hope I never have to"

Then you have no idea whether or not it works- who are you to teach? God forbid you find out that real fights arent like Bruce Lee movies.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast