Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2005 5:35pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

JKD?

Hello,

What do you guys think of Jeet Kun Do and the World Jeet Kun Do Federation http://www.leejkd.com/

much obliged ....

MAUser

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2005 6:14pm

Style: Aikido/FMA/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained in JKD with Ted Lucaylucay (check the family tree) over 20 years ago (along with FMA). It was a great training experience. I like the conceptual base, but see too many people just teach technique. Don't know the group you mentioned.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2005 6:20pm

Style: butt kickery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should click the link at the bottom of Omega's signature, if it's still there.

Other than that, Jeet Kune Do is ment to be a philosophy towards combat, not a rigid system. Essentially, Jeet Kune Do states: use the techniques which work for you, while doing away with what doesn't, and adapting to your opponent's skills. Considering the fact that the human body can only operate in so many ways, and only so many of those so many ways are effective, we find ourselves with a fancy Cantonese version of MMA. Of course, considering the latter, most people find that techniques out of BJJ, Judo, Sambo, wrestling, boxing, Muay Thai, and Kyokushin are effective at realisitcally kicking ass. However, most people associate Jeet Kune Do with Wing Chun that is a little bit less useless, because intelligent people will add techniques from martial arts that display effectiveness in MMA.

As a result, I think this Jeet Kun Do Federation is comprised of martially inept teletubies, until I see decent fight cards.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    6/13/2005 7:05pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone who dosen't have Bruce or Dan Inosanto in their lineage somewhere shouldn't be using the name Jeet Kune Do. That being said, it's just a WAY of training, not a martial art itself. You can train JKD in a Kung Fu class and in a BJJ class and in a Kick-boxing class and in a fucking KNITTING class.

I dislike Gary Dill as a proponent of my "martial art" so this guy being connected to him makes me itchy. Also, the phrase REAL JKD is supurious. But what the hell, one of their schools could be a great place to train. I'd have to take classes to tell.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2005 7:11am

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As Bruce said: "It's only a name. Don't fuss over it."

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/14/2005 7:58am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    Anyone who dosen't have Bruce or Dan Inosanto in their lineage somewhere shouldn't be using the name Jeet Kune Do.
    I doubt Bruce Lee would agree with you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2005 8:04am

Style: none currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I disagree. JKD is a style. There is a name, and there are common elements in JKD that seldom change from school to school. Stop hits done with the strong side leading as well as low line/ high line combos are fairly unique to JKD. The rear leg round kick isn't chambered like most styles and is basically the equivalent of a thai kick. Trapping techniques as well as pok sau and lop sau are also common denominators. I think it's great that JKD schools have tried to maintain Bruce Lee's philosophy about adopting anything useful and discarding the rest, but, as previously stated, there is a name and with that name come some typical elements that are rather unique to the art. This, IMHO makes it a style.
  8. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    6/14/2005 8:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    Anyone who dosen't have Bruce or Dan Inosanto in their lineage somewhere shouldn't be using the name Jeet Kune Do.
    Actually, last year Dan Inosanto was given a "Cease and Desist" order from the estate of Bruce Lee and he is never allowed to use the term Jeet Kune Do.
  9. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    6/14/2005 8:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by xingyifa
    I disagree. JKD is a style. There is a name, and there are common elements in JKD that seldom change from school to school. Stop hits done with the strong side leading as well as low line/ high line combos are fairly unique to JKD. The rear leg round kick isn't chambered like most styles and is basically the equivalent of a thai kick. Trapping techniques as well as pok sau and lop sau are also common denominators. I think it's great that JKD schools have tried to maintain Bruce Lee's philosophy about adopting anything useful and discarding the rest, but, as previously stated, there is a name and with that name come some typical elements that are rather unique to the art. This, IMHO makes it a style.
    Symantics?
    At my school, an Inosanto related school, I train in what you are describing but we call it Jun Fan Gung Fu. Is the term Jeet Kune Do used at my school? Yes. Hell, on the back of our school shirts it says it in big letters across the top. Underneath is listed the 8 arts taught at our school. Essencially, we are taught that Jun Fan Gung Fu is an art, as you tried to describe above, and that Jeet Kune Do is the PHILOSOPHY that guides our training.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/14/2005 10:16am

supporting member
     Style: Roberto Traven BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by xingyifa

But those techniques do not have to be a part of anyones JKD. If I did not do thai kick but savate style kicks instead I would still be following the JKD phlosophy. Some peaople may not include trapping but instead focus more on groundwork but they are still using the philosophy.

It is true however that a group of "JKD" people do not wish to evolve away from what Bruce left and standardize JKD, but that would make it a system and not the true philosophy. :hippy2:
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast