Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    6/13/2005 5:33pm

supporting member
     Style: American Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Krav Maga Defensive tactics

The guys from our local Krav Maga school came to the Sheriff's department today to try to get us to send our guys to learn the KM DT course. Of course I took notes so I ccould give a full write up for Bullshido.

The owner of the school spoke first and gave us the history of Krav Maga. He then explained their philosophy of using people's natural reactions in self defense situations. He was a down to earth guy, as was the other instructor that came with him, and answered all questions freely even if the answer showed something in their system that was inapplicable to our needs. He kind of laid it out there as this is what we do and if you can't use it then don't hire us. I liked that approach as usually guys selling their systems to us try to show that EVERYTHING they do is applicable and that they are the best out there.

They then got into explaining their tactics. To LEO's or CO's on the forum bear in mind that this was only DT and not any control/arrest tactics. The first thing they showed was "the pluck." He explained that the pluck could be used on any choke including LVNR and RNC. It seemed simple and could work against some chokes but I don't see it as an escape to LVNR or RNC. I don't believe that he was trying to BS us. I think he truly believes that it would work in all choke scenarios. They gave brief overviews and demos of punch blocks, edged/pointed weapon blocks, and blunt object blocks. They were all pretty standard blocks, throw your awms up or down at a 90 degree angle (they showed this as most people's natural reaction to a strike). They emphasized striking after a block which I saw as somewhat of a liablity issue, but depending on the amount of force the inmate/assailant is using towards you they could be justified. The strikes were mainly hammer fist, open palm strike, and knees. There wasn't anything comprehensive as it was just a short demo trying to get us to use their system. They verbally covered their training for ground defense (get up and disengage). They didn't explain how they went about this, just that this is what they would cover in the actual curriculum.

PROS: The techniques were simple to learn and didn't have any overly complicated footwork. Their main principle was to block,block/strike,etc. to take the attacker off balance and then disengage and go back to your usual arrest/control techniques or transition from their block, block/strike into your usual techniques.

CONS: Of course I always have a problem with any system that shows empty hand weapon defense, but we work in a field where someone could end up in close quarters with an armed attackers and trying to block is better than putting your arms up and getting slashed/stabbed. They mentioned a lot that theses techniques could be used by anyone of any size against another person of any size. We all know that this is BS. Also, having not seen their ground defense tactics I can not intelligently rate them in any way.

Overall, it was a lot of basic stuff that could be learned easily and I think some of it would be of value but I don't think it is anything we should waste our training dollars on as it doesn't have too much to offer above and beyond PPCT. Nevertheless our undersheriff loved it and now I get to spend 2 days at the Krav center learning how to teach this stuff. I can then review it further.

"There is no such thing as a bisexual man. If you like dick, you're gay."

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    6/13/2005 5:38pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should submit this in the Articles section as an article.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    6/13/2005 6:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KickAHippie
    CONS: Of course I always have a problem with any system that shows empty hand weapon defense, but we work in a field where someone could end up in close quarters with an armed attackers and trying to block is better than putting your arms up and getting slashed/stabbed. They mentioned a lot that theses techniques could be used by anyone of any size against another person of any size. We all know that this is BS. Also, having not seen their ground defense tactics I can not intelligently rate them in any way.
    What about all the mcdojo crap - contracts, clothing wear - they try to lock you into?
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    6/13/2005 8:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KF I was just there for a demo on their DT. I have no personal experience with their sales tactics or anything of that nature. Of course I know about their contracts and whatnot from other people but I try to stay away from bashing things I know nothing about firsthand.
    Last edited by KickAHippie; 6/13/2005 10:27pm at .

Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    6/13/2005 8:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin
    You should submit this in the Articles section as an article.
    Could someone move it for me?