Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2005 8:58pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

General Choi Interview

I was just reading some old posts regarding TKD.... poor kai. Anyhoo I found this article a few days ago while researching the local schools, and thought some of you might be interested. And no I'm not taking TKD, it just came up on a google. I apologize if this has been posted before.

http://www.geocities.com/tkd_unknown/44.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2005 9:40pm

Style: none currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess if you're the father of the world's most popular Mcdojo chain you can say whatever you want...

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    6/12/2005 11:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its a good thing I can't "Copy" & "Paste" anything he said in that article.Because I would have a field day.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    6/12/2005 11:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Choi comes across like a megalomaniac, and his history of founding TKD is obviously BS to anyone who has studied more than Choi's version of TKD history. I have also never heard more than anecdotal evidence of his skill. He has no documented fights (sport or otherwise), and never sparred in front of... Well, in front of ANYONE as far as I know. I once saw a video of a "seminar" he put on which consisted of Choi (in business attire) making minute corrections to peoples forms. And his whole "sine wave" theory is bullshit. He also advocated the whole "TKD is too dangerous for sparring full contact" line.

How can anyone take seriously a man who says, "My other name is Taekwon-do given to me by God in 1955." The guy was a nut and the ITF worship of him by some boarders on a cult. Frankly the more I learn about him, the more the guy sickens me. Look at the legacy he left behind. A fractured ITF and a style of TKD that lacks the sport combat of the WTF and the traditional hardness of an art like Kyokushin. [There are many tough ITF guys, of course. Especially in Europe for some reason. But I refer here to the state of the art as a whole.] In all I'd say Choi was one fo the WORST influences on modern MA. Of course, he is pretty much unknown out of ITF circles, so who really cares anyway? Heh.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/12/2005 11:27pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I choose TKD over my son."

What an asshole.

PL

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    6/13/2005 11:06am

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never found him to be an authentic Martial Arts figure. I don't know why. Iím not speaking of Mas Oyama here. Iím speaking of genuine person who has had a long life in the Arts of fighting. I know nothing of men like Yip-man (CMA) or chogun Miyagi.

I have not studied there' arts. But they just seem to exude some genuineness that I just don't see in any of the supposed TKD "Masters" or General Choi for that matter.

I once downloaded a clip off of Kazaa and I found of him performing an advanced form. I was not impressed with his performance in demonstrating it. He seemed to lack any demonstration of power or technique that a "Master" is supposed to show.

Has anyone seen this clip? Its short but more importantly he looked boring to watch

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/13/2005 11:13am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

has nothing to do with this thread (other that bird's claim to do Aikido), I just like the picture!!

Choi is a master allright, a master BUREAUCRAT AND POWER MONGER!

And shouldn't this be moved to history?
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 6/13/2005 11:16am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2005 11:52am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't actually do Aikido right now. Aikido was my most recent, 1994 is the date on my certificate. Also TKD in 1988-1990, went back briefly last summer, and I wasn't impressed. When I was younger TKD seem pretty cool, and last year (after 3 classes) I left it thinking, I can do this crap at home. I've been wanting to get back into MA for ages but something always seems to come up....stupid reality.
    Checking out another school tonight, Kyokushin Karate. Don't know much about the style except what I've read here, and elsewhere online. Sounds like it could be a rough night.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/13/2005 8:59pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I doubt they'll throw you into sparring your first class.

PL

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/13/2005 9:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, to tell the truth, the two KK dojos I worked out in sure did. If sparring was scheduled, EVERYONE sparred. But I'm sure they'll take it easy on him, maybe he'll think not, but a good school doesn't cripple n00bs.